Englands Centre forward crisis

FresnoBob

The thing is england always had a huge amount of world class forwards, even a couple of years ago Andy Cole who was a world class player didn't get england call ups. There are several ex united players who were praised alot for their talent and work who hardly ever got called up for England.

There is only one thing to blame for the current situation. Foreign forwards.

Just check every teams primary attacking duo or trio, they are almost all foreign

Arsenal: adebayor
Blackburn: McCarthy, Santa Cruz
Bolton: Vaz Te, Diouff
Chelsea: Drogba,Malouda etc
United: Tevez, Saha (rooney)
Everton: Yakubu (johnson)
Fulham: Healy, McBride
City: Benjani, Castillo, Bojinov
Boro: Alves, Aliadiere, Mido, Tuncay
Newcastle: Martins, Viduka, Ameobi (Owen, Smith)
Villa: they have an english core
Portsmouth: pretty much english
Tottenham: Keane, Berbatov (Bent)

Not sure about the other teams but it's clear that foreigners take up the spots for english players. I'm sure there is still much talent but they don't make it because of the foreigners.
Is blame for the "current situation" attributable to the presence of foreign forwards, or are the foreign forwards prevalent in the Premier League because of a dirth of talent among the English? If I recall correctly, there aren't a whole lot of English forwards plying their trade in the other major leagues in Europe and around the world. It appears that other nations are able to produce enough talent to not only satisfy the needs of their domestic teams, but to export them as well. Perhaps you should look to internal reasons to see why a nation with a relatively large population and which, in fact, invented the game, can no longer produce sufficient talent to stock its own domestic top division.

Majestic16

The thing is england always had a huge amount of world class forwards, even a couple of years ago Andy Cole who was a world class player didn't get england call ups. There are several ex united players who were praised alot for their talent and work who hardly ever got called up for England.

There is only one thing to blame for the current situation. Foreign forwards.

Just check every teams primary attacking duo or trio, they are almost all foreign

Arsenal: adebayor
Blackburn: McCarthy, Santa Cruz
Bolton: Vaz Te, Diouff
Chelsea: Drogba,Malouda etc
United: Tevez, Saha (rooney)
Everton: Yakubu (johnson)
Fulham: Healy, McBride
City: Benjani, Castillo, Bojinov
Boro: Alves, Aliadiere, Mido, Tuncay
Newcastle: Martins, Viduka, Ameobi (Owen, Smith)
Villa: they have an english core
Portsmouth: pretty much english
Tottenham: Keane, Berbatov (Bent)

Not sure about the other teams but it's clear that foreigners take up the spots for english players. I'm sure there is still much talent but they don't make it because of the foreigners.
Apart from Rooney, no English striker is good enough to hold a regular spot in a top 4 team. Theres also a handful capable of doing that at a second tier team. Hence all the foreigners and the OP's original concern.

Nanison

Is blame for the "current situation" attributable to the presence of foreign forwards, or are the foreign forwards prevalent in the Premier League because of a dirth of talent among the English? If I recall correctly, there aren't a whole lot of English forwards plying their trade in the other major leagues in Europe and around the world. It appears that other nations are able to produce enough talent to not only satisfy the needs of their domestic teams, but to export them as well. Perhaps you should look to internal reasons to see why a nation with a relatively large population and which, in fact, invented the game, can no longer produce sufficient talent to stock its own domestic top division.
I was thinking they bought foreign players because they are cheaper. You pay alot of money these days for an english player. It became a trend to buy foreign. This transfer period it looks like it still hasn't changed.

I don't know the reserves and youth situation at other EPL clubs but if you look at united alone we can only say there still is enough talent. Welbeck and Campbell make an impact but i'm sure they won't make it at United. They end up in the Championship and another talent is wasted.

In the late 90's , early 00's players like Cole, Owen, Shearer, Les Ferdinand, Dublin, Phillips and Beattie were available. That was a healthy situation for the national team. Alot has changed since then, namely the massive influx of foreign players.

If you look at Crouch, Bent or Defoe you can see they are talented but they aren't really first choice for their club, hence their low contribution.

Majestic16

I was thinking they bought foreign players because they are cheaper. You pay alot of money these days for an english player. It became a trend to buy foreign. This transfer period it looks like it still hasn't changed.

I don't know the reserves and youth situation at other EPL clubs but if you look at united alone we can only say there still is enough talent. Welbeck and Campbell make an impact but i'm sure they won't make it at United. They end up in the Championship and another talent is wasted.

In the late 90's , early 00's players like Cole, Owen, Shearer, Les Ferdinand, Dublin, Phillips and Beattie were available. That was a healthy situation for the national team. Alot has changed since then, namely the massive influx of foreign players.

If you look at Crouch, Bent or Defoe you can see they are talented but they aren't really first choice for their club, hence their low contribution.
Since they are already at big clubs, your argument that foreign talent is cheaper becomes irrelevant. They are simply not good enough to start ahead of the imported talent.

Nanison

Since they are already at big clubs, your argument that foreign talent is cheaper becomes irrelevant. They are simply not good enough to start ahead of the imported talent.
Probably right