English cricket thread

NinjaFletch

Honestly, in good faith, remind me. I know he played a brilliant test innings on the subcontinent that won a very important game but I can't quite recall the details. I don't remember many match winning ODI innings. Again, one brilliant one against Australia just before the 2005 Ashes where he took Gillespie apart and won the game on his own.

I can think of more games that Cook, Strauss, Morgan, Buttler and Root won. Before we even get to Stokes.

EDIT - And, yeah, I did pretty much watch his entire career, excluding the ODI's he played in SA before his test selection. He was incredibly frustrating.
Mumbai

Ludicrous knock. Cook and from memory Pujara tonned up in that game too, but Pietersen was playing on a different pitch.

That, his knock against Sri Lanka away and the Headingley knock (during KP genius gate) are three of the most absurd knocks I've seen from an England cricketer.

cnut, obviously, but what a player.

paulscholes18

I recently learnt that Adam Voges has the third highest test average of any batsman who has played twenty test innings and if we tighten it to twenty five we'd lose Graeme Pollock and George Headley who I obviously never saw bat but I dare say were better than Adam Voges.

I'm going off stats.
During the series vs West Indies Voges got his average up to over 97, helps when you get 100 not out and a 250 not out. When he played in the ashes he didn’t look anything special and doubt anyone would mention him in Australia’s top 50 batsmen

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Mumbai

Ludicrous knock. Cook and from memory Pujara tonned up in that game too, but Pietersen was playing on a different pitch.

That, his knock against Sri Lanka away and the Headingley knock (during KP genius gate) are three of the most absurd knocks I've seen from an England cricketer.

cnut, obviously, but what a player.
Headingley one was against South Africa was it? I don't remember it. Was that the series we picked Pattinson or the one after?
During the series vs West Indies Voges got his average up to over 97, helps when you get 100 not out and a 250 not out. When he played in the ashes he didn’t look anything special and doubt anyone would mention him in Australia’s top 50 batsmen
It is frustrating. I remember Mike Hussey having silly stats for a while but with him I at least felt he was a very good player, though not remotely one of the greats.

Voges was just the standard of the average international cricketer. No more no less.

NinjaFletch

Headingley one was against South Africa was it? I don't remember it. Was that the series we picked Pattinson or the one after?
That was Headingley, but 4 years before.

This knock he just thought 'feck it' and spent a few hours carting the best bowling attack in the world around as if they were bowling 60 mph beach balls at him.

I understand why people feel let down by Pietersen. He was his own worst enemy and lost the battle with himself (he really should have averaged 50 at least, and I'd argue he's probably a more talented batsman than Steve Smith is) but my God was he good when he had the bit between his teeth.

I don't think we'll see another English batsman like him in our lifetime.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
That was Headingley, but 4 years before.

This knock he just thought 'feck it' and spent a few hours carting the best bowling attack in the world around as if they were bowling 60 mph beach balls at him.

I understand why people feel let down by Pietersen. He was his own worst enemy and lost the battle with himself (he really should have averaged 50 at least, and I'd argue he's probably a more talented batsman than Steve Smith is) but my God was he good when he had the bit between his teeth.

I don't think we'll see another English batsman like him in our lifetime.
Enjoy in all of it's squinty 240p glory @DOTA

NinjaFletch

Enjoy in all of it's squinty 240p glory @DOTA

That shot at 7.37 might be my favourite played by any England player. Just the sheer and utter disdain with which he treats Steyn is incredible.

On the subject of Pietersen, did anyone see the Edge last night (or indeed before) It's largely what we already knew, but I can't help but think that if Flower had had a better handle on how to deal with mental health we'd have seen Pietersen in the 10k club with maybe close to 30 hundreds.

ArmchairCritic

That shot at 7.37 might be my favourite played by any England player. Just the sheer and utter disdain with which he treats Steyn is incredible.

On the subject of Pietersen, did anyone see the Edge last night (or indeed before) It's largely what we already knew, but I can't help but think that if Flower had had a better handle on how to deal with mental health we'd have seen Pietersen in the 10k club with maybe close to 30 hundreds.
I have seen it before and Flower appeared a bit regretful about how he handled that side.

It's notable that some of Pietersen's main issues with the ECB have basically been removed as part of Morgan's transformation of the limited-overs side. Stokes for instance hasn't played an ODI since the World Cup final.

zing

Zingle balls

Didnt Bairstow play a brilliant innings in one of these tests?

zing

Zingle balls
I am looking forward to the Pakistan series more than the WI one. I don't know a thing about Pakistan's batting line-up but if they can string a few scores together, that bowling can make a game out of it.

And they have one legit high class batsman in Babar.

Abbas, Shaheen Afridi, Naseem Shah is a very interesting bowling line-up to watch.

DOTA

I am looking forward to the Pakistan series more than the WI one. I don't know a thing about Pakistan's batting line-up but if they can string a few scores together, that bowling can make a game out of it.

Abbas, Shaheen Afridi, Naseem Shah is a very interesting bowling line-up to watch.
Is the kid who bowls really quick in the squad?

freeurmind

weak willed

Genuinely think Pakistan are going to get walloped. They've got a decent enough attack but their batsmen will struggle against the England pace bowers.l

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Genuinely think Pakistan are going to get walloped. They've got a decent enough attack but their batsmen will struggle against the England pace bowers.l
England can collapse against anyone, I'd be surprised if it's an easy whitewash.

freeurmind

weak willed
England can collapse against anyone, I'd be surprised if it's an easy whitewash.
Just checked and Pakistan have drawn their last 2 series in England. England really do struggle at home alot. Hope to be pleasantly surprised by the tourists.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Roy out in 1st over.
His basic technique is appalling, no wonder he was such a dramatic fail in test cricket last summer.

Vince in next :wenger:

paulscholes18

Roy’s poor form continues, out first over and only passed 30 once in his last five ODI’s

DOTA

Just checked and Pakistan have drawn their last 2 series in England. England really do struggle at home alot. Hope to be pleasantly surprised by the tourists.
Aside from the fact we aren't all that great, it's a chaotic place to play. Things can change so much in a session. No team should tour England thinking they can't win. They may lose every test but with a little grit and a bit of luck they could win the series. I think Ireland and Bangladesh winning a test series in England is about as likely as England whitewashing the stronger teams.

It could happen in the same summer. Bangladesh could tour and win a two match series 1-0 and then Australia could get whitewashed.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
44-3 . Vince out for 16. England in bit of trouble ...
hopefully Vince international career is now over.

NinjaFletch

What was the point of picking Vince for this series? What have we learnt?

Instead Salt or Hain could have had a chance to convert their form in to international cricket.

Last edited:

DOTA

Instead Salt or Hain could have had a chance to covert their form in to international cricket.
I'd forgotten about him. That would've been fun, yeah.

ArmchairCritic

DOTA

@DOTA, @freeurmind.

TeamMatWonLostTiedDrawW/L
Australia56389094.222
South Africa513114062.214
Bangladesh34916090.562
India50374099.250
New Zealand422270133.142
England7043170102.529
West Indies421519080.789
Sri Lanka4619170101.117

Table of team results for home tests since 1st January 2010, left out Pakistan as a neutral venue.

England have only lost 2 series in that time period. 2012 vs South Africa, 2014 vs Sri Lanka.

England's test series win in India in 2012-13 is incredible.
How many have England drawn? It feels a lot.

DOTA

If we'd given Morgan back for this series I think they would've won it. The batting is so flimsy without Root.

ArmchairCritic

How many have England drawn? It feels a lot.
2015 vs. New Zealand, 2016 vs. Pakistan, 2018 vs. Pakistan, 2019 vs. Australia. Out of the 21 series played since Jan 2010 it's 15 won, 4 drawn, 2 lost.

paulscholes18

Instead Salt or Hain could have had a chance to covert their form in to international cricket.
Hain more so as he’s a natural no3, where Salt is another opener

DOTA

2015 vs. New Zealand, 2016 vs. Pakistan, 2018 vs. Pakistan, 2019 vs. Australia. Out of the 21 series played since Jan 2010 it's 15 won, 4 drawn, 2 lost.
That feels like more than India and Australia fail to win at home?

DOTA

Never seen a keeper standing up to the stumps when the bowler is bowling 85 MPH before
I've seen it a few times in domestic one day cricket in England. Don't recall it in first class or test cricket. I think it's just messing about. Not many balls go through to the keeper anyway in limited overs so they figure it's worth it to try to distract the batsman.

freeurmind

weak willed
Aside from the fact we aren't all that great, it's a chaotic place to play. Things can change so much in a session. No team should tour England thinking they can't win. They may lose every test but with a little grit and a bit of luck they could win the series. I think Ireland and Bangladesh winning a test series in England is about as likely as England whitewashing the stronger teams.

It could happen in the same summer. Bangladesh could tour and win a two match series 1-0 and then Australia could get whitewashed.
It's just surprising because you'd expect England to bat well against the swinging ball but they seem to struggle.