English cricket thread

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
28/4 :lol:, all but over already
First game of ODI season. England win toss, reduce Ireland to 28/5 after 6.3 overs.

Im sure it was obvious to Morgan that he had a far stronger team, so the best decision was to bat first, so lots of players get a work out?

I get it that he is ultra professional, and will always respect the opposition, but in these covid19 environment, surely all his team need minutes?

Last edited:

dbs235

First game of ODI season. England win toss, reduce Ireland to 28/5 after 6.3 overs.

Sure it was obvious to Morgan that he had a far stronger team, so the best decision was to bat first, so lots of players get a work out?

I get it that he is ultra professional, and will always respect the opposition, but in these covid19 cricket starved opportunity environment, surely all his team need minutes?
Exactly what I thought. Maybe he'll think about that in the next 2 games.

paulscholes18

Also Stokes to fill in @ high 80s. That would be so amazing!!

with such a stock of fast bowlers, England are becoming like West Indies of the 80s!
Could do with a spinner as good as Swann to back them up, if Bess or Virdi can reach that level only time will tell

Djemba-Djemba

Not been a fun watch this so far.

Ireland have actually done well to get to 150 after being 28/5 but it's been a lot of nicking singles and the odd 2. Not been the most exhilirating cricket.

Djemba-Djemba

Is James Vince a close friend of Ed Smith?

How many chances is he going to get ? It's clear that he's not got what it takes in international cricket.

It's bizarre.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Vince is a walking wicket at international level. He doesn’t have the ability to step up. Time to move into a new prospect.

Nice chance for an easy ODI 100 for Bairstow on the cards.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Curtis Campher is 21 years old, appears to have barely played professional cricket before this series (one list A and three 20/20 matches) and he looks Ireland's best player. Which I don't mean as an insult to Ireland, as poor as they have been at times.

He looks remarkably good. I'm confused as to why he hasn't been playing regularly for a senior team in SA.

DOTA

Also, I've just learnt that Collingwood is the coach for this series and suddenly Vince bowling makes so much sense.

dbs235

Has anyone watched Sky's Kevin Pieterson documentary? Really good watch.

DOTA

Has anyone watched Sky's Kevin Pieterson documentary? Really good watch.
No. I hope there is no level of boredom that could ever reduce me to that.

His commentary on this series has been better than expected though.

Djemba-Djemba

Vince is a walking wicket at international level. He doesn’t have the ability to step up. Time to move into a new prospect.

Nice chance for an easy ODI 100 for Bairstow on the cards.
I've been saying this for years and he still seems to somehow cling on.

I really hope today is the last we see of Vince for England. He's clearly not cut out for international cricket, we are absolutely loaded with incredible talent in the white ball game. To keep playing Vince just makes zero sense.

dbs235

No. I hope there is no level of boredom that could ever reduce me to that.

His commentary on this series has been better than expected though.
Ffs :lol: Even if you don't like him, it's still good, mate.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I've been saying this for years and he still seems to somehow cling on.
I really hope today is the last we see of Vince for England. He's clearly not cut out for international cricket, we are absolutely loaded with incredible talent in the white ball game. To keep playing Vince just makes zero sense.
Totally agree. After his many failures, 2 more dud scores under zero scoreboard pressure vs Ireland is appalling.

DOTA

Ffs :lol: Even if you don't like him, it's still good, mate.
I bet it isn't! I bet it's constant over-hyped drama.

He wasn't even that good.

EDIT - He made the difference in an Ashes series once. So did Ian Bell. I'd be way more up for the Ian Bell documentary.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I bet it isn't! I bet it's constant over-hyped drama.

He wasn't even that good.

EDIT - He made the difference in an Ashes series once. So did Ian Bell. I'd be way more up for the Ian Bell documentary.
This is tongue-in-cheek right? Pietersen is an idiot but only Stokes can measure up to him when it comes to 'what the feck am I watching' test match innings in an England shirt.

DOTA

This is tongue-in-cheek right? Pietersen is an idiot but only Stokes can measure up to him when it comes to 'what the feck am I watching' test match innings in an England shirt.
Flintoff did that. He was similarly likely to turn up when needed, he just didn't smash the runs against average bowlers and on flat pitches that Kevin Pietersen did.

KP isn't one of the five best England batsmen of this century so far.

DOTA

I have offensive views about Michael Vaughan as well, if anyone's interested.

I am very bored.

ArmchairCritic

Flintoff did that. He was similarly likely to turn up when needed, he just didn't smash the runs against average bowlers and on flat pitches that Kevin Pietersen did.

KP isn't one of the five best England batsmen of this century so far.
I could outline numerous innings and other pieces of evidence as to why this is so wrong but in the end I just feel sorry that you could have watched his entire career and come to this conclusion.

DOTA

I could outline numerous innings and other pieces of evidence as to why this is so wrong but in the end I just feel sorry that you could have watched his entire career and come to this conclusion.
Honestly, in good faith, remind me. I know he played a brilliant test innings on the subcontinent that won a very important game but I can't quite recall the details. I don't remember many match winning ODI innings. Again, one brilliant one against Australia just before the 2005 Ashes where he took Gillespie apart and won the game on his own.

I can think of more games that Cook, Strauss, Morgan, Buttler and Root won. Before we even get to Stokes.

EDIT - And, yeah, I did pretty much watch his entire career, excluding the ODI's he played in SA before his test selection. He was incredibly frustrating.

Last edited:

dbs235

I've started a right debate here :lol: My two cents - he was class and we could have got more outof him if he wasn't such a drama magnet. Having said that, if he had a different personality, he probably wouldn't have been such a good batsman.

DOTA

I've started a right debate here :lol: My two cents - he was class and we could have got more outof him if he wasn't such a drama magnet. Having said that, if he had a different personality, he probably wouldn't have been such a good batsman.
I'm wounded emotionally because I really liked him in the 05 Ashes series. He had very cool hair and he hit Glenn McGrath over his head for six.

Then he changed his hair, took himself way too seriously and forgot to win cricket matches...

dbs235

I'm wounded emotionally because I really liked him in the 05 Ashes series. He had very cool hair and he hit Glenn McGrath over his head for six.

Then he changed his hair, took himself way too seriously and forgot to win cricket matches...
Some very awkward parts in that documentary where Nasser is calling him out and he doesn't really have an answer.

DOTA

Some very awkward parts in that documentary where Nasser is calling him out and he doesn't really have an answer.
I can understand why you might think I'd be interested but no!

I find Broad's drama tiresome. I cannot begin with our Kevin.

DOTA

I've been watching old clips of the young Lancashire leg-spinner via the Lancs Youtube account. Much more enjoyable.

ArmchairCritic

Honestly, in good faith, remind me. I know he played a brilliant test innings on the subcontinent that won a very important game but I can't quite recall the details. I don't remember many match winning ODI innings. Again, one brilliant one against Australia just before the 2005 Ashes where he took Gillespie apart and won the game on his own.

I can think of more games that Cook, Strauss, Morgan, Buttler and Root won. Before we even get to Stokes.

EDIT - And, yeah, I did pretty much watch his entire career, excluding the ODI's he played in SA before his test selection. He was incredibly frustrating.
ODI wise I would agree that overall he didn't have as good a career as his first series hinted at but he was England's Player of the Series in their World T20 championship win, which until last year was England's only ICC tournament win.

In terms of his test career, there are only 4 men that have more runs than him in an England shirt and only 1 bloke who has more test hundreds than him in an England shirt. Here is a list of the most man of the match awards for England in test cricket:

Player SpanMatchesAwards
IT Botham 1977-199210212
KP Pietersen 2005-2014 10410
SCJ Broad 2007-202014010
BA Stokes 2013-2020669
GA Gooch 1975-19951189
AN Cook 2006-20181619
JE Root 2012-2020948
JM Anderson 2003-20201538

I understand anyone who dislikes Pietersen and I don't think I am going to change your mind with whatever evidence I present to you, so probably more beneficial for both of our evening's to agree to disagree :).

DOTA

ODI wise I would agree that overall he didn't have as good a career as his first series hinted at but he was England's Player of the Series in their World T20 championship win, which until last year was England's only ICC tournament win.

In terms of his test career, there are only 4 men that have more runs than him in an England shirt and only 1 bloke who has more test hundreds than him in an England shirt. Here is a list of the most man of the match awards for England in test cricket:

PlayerSpanMatchesAwards
IT Botham1977-199210212
KP Pietersen2005-2014 10410
SCJ Broad2007-202014010
BA Stokes2013-2020669
GA Gooch1975-19951189
AN Cook2006-20181619
JE Root2012-2020948
JM Anderson2003-20201538

I understand anyone who dislikes Pietersen and I don't think I am going to change your mind with whatever evidence I present to you, so probably more beneficial for both of our evening's to agree to disagree :).
Absolutely, I'm biased as hell but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate you bringing the stats and particularly I think the man of the match ones is a much better argument against me than his stacks of runs.

Gooch is flattered there too.

DOTA

I recently learnt that Adam Voges has the third highest test average of any batsman who has played twenty test innings and if we tighten it to twenty five we'd lose Graeme Pollock and George Headley who I obviously never saw bat but I dare say were better than Adam Voges.

I'm going off stats.

JohnnyKills

Totally agree. After his many failures, 2 more dud scores under zero scoreboard pressure vs Ireland is appalling.
Yeah hard to see why they keep picking him. He's had over 30 games in all forms of cricket without a decisive score.