English cricket thread

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
On the Sky graphic showing the all time leading wicket takers they now spell at the top Muttiah Muralideran.

What's that all about? Maybe it's been like that for ages but I'd not noticed it.

freeurmind

weak willed
On the Sky graphic showing the all time leading wicket takers they now spell at the top Muttiah Muralideran.

What's that all about? Maybe it's been like that for ages but I'd not noticed it.
Even though his name was widely romanised as Muralitharan from the start of his career, he prefers the spelling Muralidaran. The different spellings have arisen because the Tamil letter த can be pronounced as both 't' and 'd' depending on its place in a word.

The Cat

Even though his name was widely romanised as Muralitharan from the start of his career, he prefers the spelling Muralidaran. The different spellings have arisen because the Tamil letter த can be pronounced as both 't' and 'd' depending on its place in a word.
Thanks - had no idea.

NinjaFletch

We had a bit a of a chat about this on the last page, but with Broad bowling like he has is there any argument against Woakes, Anderson, Broad as England's three seamers for the Pakistan first test?

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
We had a bit a of a chat about this on the last page, but with Broad bowling like he has is there any argument against Woakes, Anderson, Broad as England's three seamers for the Pakistan first test?
Nope. I think only Wood is a questionable selection in England considering his record here. I love having 4 seamers in a team but I appreciate how long the tail would be in that case. Bess doing his best Rashid impression this test.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Dropping Broad for first test looking like one of the most inspired decisions from England selectors!
What an amazing MOTM match winning performance with ball ... and bat from him

paulscholes18

Dropping Broad for first test looking like one of the most inspired decisions from England selectors!
What an amazing MOTM match winning performance with ball ... and bat from him
Dropped for Wood who averages 45 with the ball in England it made no sense.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Hasn't looked peerless in my POV. Archer has to play.

paulscholes18

Nope, Crawley in for Archer is the only change needed for the first test.

The Cat

They just changed it back again - are they on the wind up :) ?

NinjaFletch

Hasn't looked peerless in my POV. Archer has to play.
In all honesty, I think he's been really poor aside from that one spell in the first match where he took 3 quick wickets. I know a lot has been said about his pace, but when he's bowling mid-80s I'm not convinced he offers anything that those other three don't offer more of in these conditions. Not because he isn't still a good bowler, but because Woakes, Anderson and Broad are so good in them.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Fantastic interview from Broad, came across so well. A real team man, always spoke of 'we' not 'I' and determined to share his success with all who contributed to it. I didn't realise he was such a good guy.

What odds on him over taking Anderson?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Im out of touch with Pakistan test cricket.
Anyone know much about them? One's to watch?

ArmchairCritic

In England it should always be Woakes, Broad and Anderson based off skillset with the Dukes ball alone, with Archer taking over from Anderson in the next few years.

Depending on Stokes' health and the toss/pitch/weather/opposition, Archer/Leach/Bess/Curran for the final bowling spot.

In the sub-continent it should be Curran, Wood/Archer/Broad, Leach and Bess.

In other overseas tours it should be Archer, Wood, Broad as your main attack with Anderson phased out and Woakes and Curran in back up.

I don't think it would the worst thing for England to focus on Archer and Wood as away bowlers and Woakes and Anderson as home bowlers. It is noticeable how Woakes, Broad and Anderson suffer abroad and letting Archer and Wood focus on the unique skills required away from home would help England and those bowlers, especially Archer who has plenty of cricket left in him anyway.

Balljy

I don't think it would the worst thing for England to focus on Archer and Wood as away bowlers and Woakes and Anderson as home bowlers. It is noticeable how Woakes, Broad and Anderson suffer abroad and letting Archer and Wood focus on the unique skills required away from home would help England and those bowlers, especially Archer who has plenty of cricket left in him anyway.
Agreed. I can't believe we will make the same mistake (again) of thinking Broad and Anderson can lead an attack in Australia. Archer and Wood need to play some games together before next November as to have any chance over there they will have to be working well as the lead bowlers.

ArmchairCritic

In all honesty, I think he's been really poor aside from that one spell in the first match where he took 3 quick wickets. I know a lot has been said about his pace, but when he's bowling mid-80s I'm not convinced he offers anything that those other three don't offer more of in these conditions not because he isn't still a good bowler, but because Woakes, Anderson and Broad are so good in them.
There's no rush with Archer, he'll lead this attack soon enough. People would do well to recall Broad and Anderson's development and the fact that they are STILL learning right now. I think they felt compelled to play him in this test in as a sign of support.

ArmchairCritic

Agreed. I can't believe we will make the same mistake (again) of thinking Broad and Anderson can lead an attack in Australia. Archer and Wood need to play some games together before next November as to have any chance over there they will have to be working well as the lead bowlers.
The key is there is in conditions close to what they will experience. The Dukes ball vs West Indies at the Ageas Bowl is not going to prepare them for the Kookaburra ball vs Australia at the Gabba.

NinjaFletch

That was the problem in the first test, though. England picked a side to win a test match at Perth not at the Ageas bowl.

We've seen this a fair amount with the Aussies themselves actually. Their quickest bowlers have been neutralised by English conditions whilst the likes of Siddle and Hazelwood have been more effective and it's only been at certain grounds where they have been competitive.

NinjaFletch

There's no rush with Archer, he'll lead this attack soon enough. People would do well to recall Broad and Anderson's development and the fact that they are STILL learning right now. I think they felt compelled to play him in this test in as a sign of support.
For sure, and I'm by no means slagging him off. I just don't think he's currently in England's top 3 best seamers in English conditions because the other three are ludicrously good.

There's no shame in that either, Broad, Anderson, and Woakes's stats are insane:

Woakes
81 @ 22.53 (taking wickets at 20 over the past two years at home)

Anderson

371 @ 23.85 (taking wickets at 18(!) over the past two years at home)

Broad
311 @ 26.53 (taking wickets at 21 over the past two years at home)

Archer averages 24 with the ball in England so far. The fact that that's the worst of the three is ludicrous.

ArmchairCritic

That was the problem in the first test, though. England picked a side to win a test match at Perth not at the Ageas bowl.

We've seen this a fair amount with the Aussies themselves actually. Their quickest bowlers have been neutralised by English conditions whilst the likes of Siddle and Hazelwood have been more effective and it's only been at certain grounds where they have been competitive.
They used the Dukes in Sheffield Shield for a bit and it was interesting to see how they basically dropped Starc for the Ashes here. In a COVID-19 world it's hard to see how England are going to give Wood and Archer enough chances to bowl with the Kookaburra prior to the Ashes.

ArmchairCritic

For sure, and I'm by no means slagging him off. I just don't think he's currently in England's top 3 best seamers in English conditions because the other three are ludicrously good.

There's no shame in that either, Broad, Anderson, and Woakes's stats are insane:

Woakes

Anderson

Broad

Archer averages 24 with the ball in England so far. The fact that that's the worst of the three is ludicrous.
Those numbers leave you partially tempted to do away with a spinner, but you can only make that judgement depending on the pitch/toss/opposition etc.

NinjaFletch

Those numbers leave you partially tempted to do away with a spinner, but you can only make that judgement depending on the pitch/toss/opposition etc.
The really crazy thing is statsguru has updated since that post so Broad is now at 321 at 25.9 in his career.

It's so easy to take for granted how fecking good him and Anderson have been. The fact Archer is even in the conversation at this stage (and that Woakes is mixing it with them too) bodes well.

paulscholes18

Woakes

Anderson

Broad

Even Sam Curran has a better average and S/R than Archer in England

ArmchairCritic

Even Sam Curran has a better average and S/R than Archer in England
I reckon that's basically because of this test. Anyway a great problem to have. You can see and develop the future whilst the present is still outrageously good, not many teams get that lucky. England's problem has never generally been bowling at home mind.

zing

Zingle balls
Curious - did you google that just now?

I am Tamillian and my name has a 'th' in it which has the same nuance that you just explained.

zing

Zingle balls
Am I the only one who thinks Mark Wood is really average in tests?

Seeing Nasser Hussein write saying Woakes should be benched and England should be testing Woakes/Archer. Archer is class and definitely needs to be in but Wood..

ArmchairCritic

Am I the only one who thinks Mark Wood is really average in tests?

Seeing Nasser Hussein write saying Woakes should be benched and England should be testing Woakes/Archer. Archer is class and definitely needs to be in but Wood..
In home tests I think most of us would agree. He stands out in the fact that he's the only bowler in this current crop whose away record (26 wickets @ 20.76) is better than their home record (24 wickets @ 44.91).

zing

Zingle balls
In home tests I think most of us would agree. He stands out in the fact that he's the only bowler in this current crop whose away record (26 wickets @ 20.76) is better than their home record (24 wickets @ 44.91).
Had no idea his away record is so good. Surprised. I’ve seen only the home tests barring away v West Indies a bit, and saw a really good spell of his there. Just seems like a pace merchant to me generally.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Intrigued to see how Mahmood gets on.

Dreaming of the day he and Archer lead the attack on a fast bouncy track!

Nico87

Imagine you’d bought a ticket for a day of cricket here. Should have batted 1st to actually get some time out there. Roy or Bairstow alone are going to beat this.