English cricket thread

NinjaFletch

Roy could bat at 11 and it would still be too high for someone with his defensive technique.

Good ball, but appalling technique.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Roy could bat at 11 and it would still be too high for someone with his defensive technique.

You know this is now going to affect his ODI game. His muscle memory and instincts will be in a mess.

Last edited:

Dan_F

It felt like 50% of the balls he faced hit the inside edge.

Still, had the fielding/no ball situation not been so crap, the match might have a very different feel. As it is, everyone was just awaiting the inevitable collapse and it came at the end.

dbs235

Funny thing is he's probably the first name on the ODI teamsheet. Shouldn't be anywhere near the test team though. Fair enough it's a baptism of fire against the Aussie attack in the Ashes but that's the standard we need to set for our test players.

Skills

Snitch
Someone like Roy should just play his natural game. If he's out there trying to defend balls he's doing the wrong thing. Runs are runs are at the end of the day, and there's nothing stopping you belting the ball around in Test cricket

NinjaFletch

Someone like Roy should just play his natural game. If he's out there trying to defend balls he's doing the wrong thing. Runs are runs are at the end of the day, and there's nothing stopping you belting the ball around in Test cricket
He does. That is the problem. His natural game sees him play with very, very hard hands and a huge gap between bat and pad. He's a bowlers wet dream in Test cricket.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
He does. That is the problem. His natural game sees him play with very, very hard hands and a huge gap between bat and pad. He's a bowlers wet dream in Test cricket.
Yeah everything about his technique just doesn't carry through to test cricket, especially test cricket in England when you need to play the ball late.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
You know this is now giving to affect his ODI game. His muscle memory and instincts will be in a mess.
The reverse is the case though and that is why we have fewer and fewer test class batsmen. ODI and T20 cricket are destroying the basic technique that is necessary to play test cricket so even though we have pretty good limited overs teams our test match capabilities are really suffering.

NinjaFletch

You know this is now giving to affect his ODI game. His muscle memory and instincts will be in a mess.
Yeah everything about his technique just doesn't carry through to test cricket and especially test cricket in England when you need to play the ball late.
Which is why I agree with sammsky above. If you gave Roy a long rope in Test cricket he might be able to crack it, he is after all talented, but he'd have to completely dismantle his game and put it together again from scratch. Why risk asking one of your biggest assets in ODI cricket doing that when you have a player like Pope in the wings?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Moeen Ali killing it in the blast.

Hope he an be brought back for final test.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Moeen Ali killing it in the blast.

Hope he an be brought back for final test.
I love it when he’s playing for us, I know he struggles internationally but he’s class against county bowling.

Wessels has been quality for us tonight too keeping Moeen on strike

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
There is no way that fielder didn’t know he’d stepped on the boundary one that catch :lol:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Not that simple! :lol: ODI and test cricket are as different as 5 aside and 11 vs 11 football.

ODI players have finely tuned their skills against the rules and conditions for limited overs. Unlimited overs has such a different set of rules and requires a very different range of skills and technique.

Only the most gifted batsman like Kohli, Root, Smith, Williamson have the capacity to learn and apply all the skills required. Stokes seems to be on his way too; his Headingley innings included skills from all formats.

I don’t think Roy has that capacity. As mentioned above, he has ‘hard hands’ so attack’s the ball very aggressively, which works in ODI where there is less swing and seam, often on flat tracks, and with bowlers rationed on overs and extreme fielding restrictions.

He’s a walking bunny in test cricket. As @NinjaFletch points out, he’d basically have to relearn how to bat, and I think that would confuse and destroy his ODI game.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I love it when he’s playing for us, I know he struggles internationally but he’s class against county bowling.

Wessels has been quality for us tonight too keeping Moeen on strike
121* off 60 balls in such a high pressure game! What a boss!! Wessels was class too.

Though mo looked so scratchy in those first 10 balls, gave away 3 chances!! Sussex threw game away there.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Top day at the test match. Cheering Lyon every time he caught the ball

:lol:
That’s was funny. Well done!

I think England have to get to minimum 350 and bat til teatime today to be confident to save this test. Though even that will require them to bat out 2+ sessions on final day.

Djemba-Djemba

Bairstow should be dropped, he needs to go away and sort out his technique.

I've never seen a proper batsman get bowled as often as he does.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
That’s was funny. Well done!

I think England have to get to minimum 350 and bat til teatime today to be confident to save this test. Though even that will require them to bat out 2+ sessions on final day.
Yeah agreed. Australia are miles better than us and will win the series, but at least we had that Stokesy innings.

NinjaFletch

Harsh to say that Buttler is playing for both his future and the future of Ed Smith?

NinjaFletch

I swear Jof was billed as an allrounder when he came in; he's as bad a bat as Broad is these days.

Djemba-Djemba

We've had some great individual performances and some decent moments but we've just looked totally unorganised for most of the series.

You can tell Australia have better prepared for this series. We were so focused on the World Cup, it's almost like we've sleepwalked into this.

The only plan we've had that has worked was Broad to Warner.