English cricket thread

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
That Joe Root wicket gets worse every time you see it, the only thing you can do playing that shot was get out
Everyone saying Roots messed around with his technique quite a lot, anyone here see it? I've always thought Root had a beautiful rhythm when batting well.

JohnnyKills

Looks like 350 might be a good score. Let's see tonight.

BTW Ollie Pope is an Ian Bell regen, right?

Djemba-Djemba

I say this with the knowledge England will probably collapse in their 2nd innings and we'll lose.

But flat pitches like this are just shite and incredibly boring.

paulscholes18

Not sure what the NZ batsman are playing at should have put the hammer down or declared at the start of play but instead have scored 19 runs in 16 overs

NinjaFletch

England will probably lose with a huge collapse, but this is a really poor pitch. Nothing in it for the bowlers, and very difficult to play expansively on for the batsmen. It rewards tumescent cricket from both sides.

Djemba-Djemba

They've all but come out and said Joe Root will be captain for the next Ashes series but I just don't see him making it until then.

He's not a good captain at all, yes the pitch was totally flat and the Kookaburra ball is rubbish but that's just how it is. It's Roots job to deal with all that for England and he consistently now has shown he doesn't know how to do it. This is is 8th test as captain away in Australia/New Zealand and he's staring at a record of P8 W0 L6 D2.

And that's before even mentioning how his batting has gone completely downhill in the last 2 years.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
They've all but come out and said Joe Root will be captain for the next Ashes series but I just don't see him making it until then.

He's not a good captain at all, yes the pitch was totally flat and the Kookaburra ball is rubbish but that's just how it is. It's Roots job to deal with all that for England and he consistently now has shown he doesn't know how to do it. This is is 8th test as captain away in Australia/New Zealand and he's staring at a record of P8 W0 L6 D2.

And that's before even mentioning how his batting has gone completely downhill in the last 2 years.
Who would you pick though? I'd go with Butter personally but is he really guaranteed a place in the side? The only other guaranteed pick would be Stokes wouldn't it? Maybe Burns these days?

Djemba-Djemba

Who would you pick though? I'd go with Butter personally but is he really guaranteed a place in the side? The only other guaranteed pick would be Stokes wouldn't it? Maybe Burns these days?
That's the big issue you're right.

I don't know who else could take it, Buttler isn't established enough yet I don't think and Stokes already has a huge workload.

That might save Root, it's bad news for England because it just looks obvious he isn't cut out for it .

paulscholes18

Time to drop Root? Poor ashes series and only 14 runs this test and both brain dead dismissals

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Root gone. 4 down, NZ need 6 more wickets with with 5 hours to go. Massive defeat incoming unless it miraculously rains.

England's inability to spend idle time at the crease is a serious weakness that needs to be addressed under this new coach.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Who in Englands batting line up has the mental and technical fortitude to bat out under such pressure?
These two looking rock solid, Stokes in the form of his life. No demons in the pitch. Plus they're really only 3 batsmen down. Boult also struggling with his back.

Djemba-Djemba

You can't even group Root with Smith, Kohli or Williamson any more. He's nowhere near their level now.

He's declined so much in the last couple of years since becoming captain.

AshRK

You can't even group Root with Smith, Kohli or Williamson any more. He's nowhere near their level now.

He's declined so much in the last couple of years since becoming captain.
With all fairness he was never in that group. It was just the british media who were pushing that agenda. Root is a very good batsmen but Smith,kohli and williamson are one level up. I would say Babar azam has all the quality to reach that level.

Djemba-Djemba

With all fairness he was never in that group. It was just the british media who were pushing that agenda. Root is a very good batsmen but Smith,kohli and williamson are one level up. I would say Babar azam has all the quality to reach that level.
Nah I think he was.

When you combine all 3 formats of the game there was a period when Root was right up there.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Brilliant win for NZ. Wagner again doing special things in the second innings.

BTW three tests and all ended in an innings defeat.

paulscholes18

Embarrassing from England yet again 3 batting collapses in a test match, to go from 277/4 to losing by an innings lots of changes need to be made both mentally and personal

zing

Zingle balls
Right now it looks like this:

Tier 1: Kohli, Smith
Tier 2: Williamson
Tier 3: Root, Rohit, Babar, Warner
Smith and Kohli aren't in the same tier in test cricket.

Edit - I just read this properly. What is Rohit doing there? What is this list?

paulscholes18

Butter is a doubt for tonight’s test
If he is out hopefully they go for Crawley over Woakes for the extra batsman

zing

Zingle balls
So who do you think moves to a tier below? And does that mean one of Kohli and Smith are in the same tier as Williamson?
Smith
Kohli
Pujara, Williamson, Root and the rest about the same(ignoring Root's recent form)

Williamson doesn't play enough test cricket - he's clearly very good at batting, but the number of tests he's played in each country outside of NZ is almost like statistical noise - 4 in England, SA, Sri Lanka..

Root pre-captaincy would've been in the Kohli tier if he'd continued it.

paulscholes18

Crawley and woakes in for Buttler and Leach be interested in seeing where Crawley bats as 6 seems too low for an opener

Loads of batting with Curran 8 and Woakes 9
But Curran the only variety in the attack without a spinner

Hopefully Root is taking on board some of the criticism and will use Archer better