English cricket thread

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
What's happened between Buttler and Philander? I don't remember Buttler really sledging anyone but he has been sledging Philander non-stop.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
England's first win at Newlands since 1957 apparently. South Africa will feel gutted at the few wickets they gave away but they battled well, Stokes makes the difference again for England.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
What a performance from Stokes. Won England the game with his quick runs which gave them the extra time required for him to mop up the tail.
Got 6 catches too!
MoM!

Kind of attitude i hoped we’d get from Pogba but that’s a different story!

Last edited:

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Stokes definitely came through in the clutch. Don't think he's the best test player in the world but could definitely argue that he's the most exciting.

Either way. Well done England!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I love Stokes as a bowler... especially when the going is getting a bit tough too, he just demands the ball and wangs it at a furious pace.

JohnnyKills

Great win for England. Bess and Sibley huge positives, hopefully that's two more playing slots nailed down right there.

For the next test, would be great if we could get Archer back. Harsh on Curran but Archer just gives us so much with that extra pace and the experience of Broad and Anderson means we can afford to bowl him in short bursts. He and Stokes must be the fastest change-bowling combo in world cricket.

JohnnyKills

Have a feeling he'll be king of T20 this year via IPL and world cup
Would say T20 is his weakest format. Tends to need a few balls to get himself going with the bat and his bowling can be quite hittable - quick enough to go flying off the bat but not quick enough to beat anyone for sheer pace.

That said, I hope you're right. He's absolutely at his peak now, so no reason why not.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Would say T20 is his weakest format. Tends to need a few balls to get himself going with the bat and his bowling can be quite hittable - quick enough to go flying off the bat but not quick enough to beat anyone for sheer pace.

That said, I hope you're right. He's absolutely at his peak now, so no reason why not.
I think he's still finding himself as a cricketer, and hasn't peaked into his full range yet.

And with all the recent success and mental stability, I think he's now in a place where he can do what he wants and so will conquer T20 this year.

Djemba-Djemba

Fingers crossed.

Like you said, he seems so much more mature now and his last 6 months have been ridiculously good. I think he now goes onto the field expecting to do brilliant things, his confidence must be so high.

AshRK

Curious to see how he does in IPL. Stokes received a lot of criticism for his performance in last year's IPL. Surely he has a point or two to prove.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Great win for England. Bess and Sibley huge positives, hopefully that's two more playing slots nailed down right there.

For the next test, would be great if we could get Archer back. Harsh on Curran but Archer just gives us so much with that extra pace and the experience of Broad and Anderson means we can afford to bowl him in short bursts. He and Stokes must be the fastest change-bowling combo in world cricket.
Broad/Anderson followed by Archer/Stokes on a fast bouncy track is basically unfair.

Bring on the Wanderers Stadium Test in Jo'Burg!!!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Fingers crossed.

Like you said, he seems so much more mature now and his last 6 months have been ridiculously good. I think he now goes onto the field expecting to do brilliant things, his confidence must be so high.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Clutch to describe cricket? Bollocks!
My definition of "clutch" imust be different than yours because I've always thought it meant (from a sporting point of view) "coming through in a critical situation when the game is on the line." It was my view that's what Ben Stokes did today - hence my referring to him as being "clutch."

Last edited:

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
My definition of "clutch" imust be different than yours because I've always thought it meant (from a sporting point of view) "coming through in a critical situation when the game is on the line." It was my view that's what Ben Stikes did today - hence my referring to him as being "clutch."
You'e lucky @golden_blunder doesn't read the cricket thread then, clutch indeed.

Seemed like Anderson picked up a knock/injury of some sort

JohnnyKills

Brilliant isn't it.

He must be the best all-round cricketer in the world. As I've said (prattled on about) earlier, he's probably the best pure test cricketer in the world too, alongside Smith. You ask any of the other countries to pick one player for their team and it would be between those two.

JohnnyKills

Curious to see how he does in IPL. Stokes received a lot of criticism for his performance in last year's IPL. Surely he has a point or two to prove.
Don't think India suits him. His bowling is quite hittable without the seam and swing. The T20 WC is in Australia though right?

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
From the Cambridge English Dictionary

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/clutch

clutch (noun): device in a car or other vehicle that you press with your foot in order to change gears (= set of wheels that control power)

clutch (adjective) - performing well: able to do something when it is especially needed

I don't know why anybody seems to have an issue with this. Surely some words can have more than one meaning - confused. :confused: