English cricket thread

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
From the Cambridge English Dictionary

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/clutch

clutch (noun): device in a car or other vehicle that you press with your foot in order to change gears (= set of wheels that control power)

clutch (adjective) - performing well: able to do something when it is especially needed

I don't know why anybody seems to have an issue with this. Surely some words can have more than one meaning - confused. :confused:
it's a US word, as clearly stated in that definition, definitely has no place describing cricket.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
it's a US word, as clearly stated in that definition, definitely has no place describing cricket.
i've learned something today. I really did not know that. I've got to say there are definitely times where i can't remember where i picked up an idiom or saying.

I've obviously lived in the US way too long.

Djemba-Djemba

I knew when England won today, Utd would lose.

It seems to always be that I can't enjoy both doing well at the same time.

paulscholes18

Jos Buttler has been fined 15% match fee and given 1 demerit point for swearing at Philander

zing

Zingle balls

JohnnyKills

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/c...Broad-fight-place-drive-play-Ashes-again.html

Good interview.

An average of 29 does not put him in the greats category, but he has been consistently there for over a decade.. will be talked about for just longevity and consistency.

Remember having a disagreement with @Spoony a long time ago on Broad's ability, and I think Spoony called it correctly in saying he will be one of the very good bowlers.
For me he's been a good bowler but not a great one.

When conditions are in his favor he usually takes wickets, but when it's flat he can look innocuous. You couldn't stay that about someone like McGrath or Donald, for example.

And he often wastes helpful conditions by bowling too short.

He's clearly a fine player but he can't be considered among the GOATs in my opinion.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I'd put him at the top of a list of bowlers like Ntini and Vaas.

Spoony

The People's President
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/c...Broad-fight-place-drive-play-Ashes-again.html

Good interview.

An average of 29 does not put him in the greats category, but he has been consistently there for over a decade.. will be talked about for just longevity and consistency.

Remember having a disagreement with @Spoony a long time ago on Broad's ability, and I think Spoony called it correctly in saying he will be one of the very good bowlers.

Wow, you've got a cracking memory. I forgot that I had that debate/disagreement with you. But yeah a very good bowler but not a great one.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Sad that Leach has to return home but makes sense to try and get him fit for Sri Lanka. I also think that the England management see Bess as the long term solution given his fielding and batting.

JohnnyKills

Sad that Leach has to return home but makes sense to try and get him fit for Sri Lanka. I also think that the England management see Bess as the long term solution given his fielding and batting.
Yeah they definitely do.

If we don't have a great spinner, we need someone who can bat at 8 and keep it tight. Bess looks like a good fit for that role (until Harmer qualifies anyway).

Hope Leach gets better.

Fiskey

Yeah they definitely do.

If we don't have a great spinner, we need someone who can bat at 8 and keep it tight. Bess looks like a good fit for that role (until Harmer qualifies anyway).

Hope Leach gets better.
It's just strange they picked Matt Parkinson in the first place. He doesn't bowl quickly enough for test cricket and doesn't bat. First sign of trouble with Leach they send for Bess and parachute him into the team, why not just select him in the first place?

Almost seems as if Ed Smith looking for credit for selecting a leg spinner. The only leg spinner in England with a small chance of an international career is Mason Crane.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
For me he's been a good bowler but not a great one.

When conditions are in his favor he usually takes wickets, but when it's flat he can look innocuous. You couldn't stay that about someone like McGrath or Donald, for example.

And he often wastes helpful conditions by bowling too short.

He's clearly a fine player but he can't be considered among the GOATs in my opinion.
I don't disagree, but it's also worth mentioning the superb foil he has provided for Anderson and that maybe having a better partner has slightly stymied his output. I read somewhere that with Anderson his average is 29 but without it goes down to 25, which suggests he had more to offer had he been the man his captain turned to for a wicket. That said your point about his length is well made and obviously I wouldn't change what the pair of them were able to do together for the world. A tier below the all-time greats sounds fair to me.

DOTA

I don't disagree, but it's also worth mentioning the superb foil he has provided for Anderson and that maybe having a better partner has slightly stymied his output. I read somewhere that with Anderson his average is 29 but without it goes down to 25, which suggests he had more to offer had he been the man his captain turned to for a wicket. That said your point about his length is well made and obviously I wouldn't change what the pair of them were able to do together for the world. A tier below the all-time greats sounds fair to me.
My theory on this is normally he sees Anderson as Mr Reliable who controls things and that his role is to be a wicket taker who tries things and may go for a few runs. Without Anderson he sees himself as the one who has to control things and just bowls better areas more consistently.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
My theory on this is normally he sees Anderson as Mr Reliable who controls things and that his role is to be a wicket taker who tries things and may go for a few runs. Without Anderson he sees himself as the one who has to control things and just bowls better areas more consistently.
Yeah possibly the opposite of what I said :lol:.The point is though he's been a very good second oboe, so to speak, while it might have been interesting to see what he could have done as the leader of an opening pair (despite the fact it would have been nowhere near as good as it has been in reality).

zing

Zingle balls
I haven't watched enough cricket in the 90s and definitely not prior to that - where would they rank amongst the all time great fast bowling pairs?

They have 1,000 wickets between the two of them(although I dont know what the number is when they actually played together in the same team) but they must be up there in the top 3?

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...t-not-suspicion-elbow-injury-rules-third-test

Good stuff from Dobell on Archer. Can't help but feel England could have already done a bit more to protect him. Whenever Root talks about him it sounds like he's trying to make Archer fit into an archetype rather than allowing him to be just be himself. Control and discipline in the high 80's will stand him in better stead over the course of his career than raw pace.

DOTA

Very early to be judging (eight overs completed at time of writing) but doesn't look a fun pitch to bowl first on.

DOTA

I take it I'm not being terribly original in suggesting Crawley's technique reminds me a bit of Atherton?

Fiskey

I take it I'm not being terribly original in suggesting Crawley's technique reminds me a bit of Atherton?
Interesting, not heard that. To be fair I imagine not a lot of people watch Atherton videos, I can't remember his technique clearly.

DOTA

Interesting, not heard that. To be fair I imagine not a lot of people watch Atherton videos, I can't remember his technique clearly.
Eight year old me loved Atherton, so I'm perhaps deluded as to how well remembered his greatness is. I was an odd child.

Fiskey

Eight year old me loved Atherton, so I'm perhaps deluded as to how well remembered his greatness is. I was an odd child.
I loved Usman Afzaal as an 8 year old. I think 8 year olds have weird tastes.

NinjaFletch

Am I the only one that dislikes Mark Nicholas?

I've heard a bit of purring over him over the years, but I think he's a tedious over explainer who drones on about banal nonsense for the sake of talking.

DOTA

Am I the only one that dislikes Mark Nicholas?

I've heard a bit of purring over him over the years, but I think he's a tedious over explainer who drones on about banal nonsense for the sake of talking.
I liked his stuff on Channel Four but have found him tedious in any other role.

DOTA

Spin looks a threat. Reverse swing could become one.

Really good start from England, apart from a couple of dreadful pull shots from Crawley against Rabada.

Don't care about the run rate yet. Happy for them to bat ten overs after lunch doing the exact same thing.

Fiskey

Spin looks a threat. Reverse swing could become one.

Really good start from England, apart from a couple of dreadful pull shots from Crawley against Rabada.

Don't care about the run rate yet. Happy for them to bat ten overs after lunch doing the exact same thing.
Pitch spinning will probably suit England with Root and Denly, although Maharaj is the best spinner on either side.

JohnnyKills

Great start. The top three are doing exactly what we need them to do - chew up deliveries and tire the bowlers out. Our numbers 5-8 can all score at a run a ball if needed, so run rate is not an issue.

Denly looks a good player to me. He's very much a stop-gap but he'll certainly be useful until we find a younger guy for that role.

JohnnyKills

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...t-not-suspicion-elbow-injury-rules-third-test

Good stuff from Dobell on Archer. Can't help but feel England could have already done a bit more to protect him. Whenever Root talks about him it sounds like he's trying to make Archer fit into an archetype rather than allowing him to be just be himself. Control and discipline in the high 80's will stand him in better stead over the course of his career than raw pace.
We've already got lots of bowlers who bowl mid-high 80s though. We need someone who can come in and bowl short burst in the early-mid 90s, just like Johnson did for Australia when they smashed us in 13-14.

The problem we're going to have is that Wood and Stokes are short, sharp bowlers too, so we're going to need someone who can bowl long spells. Bess is going to be crucial in the team going forward I reckon.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Hard going, but good steady play from England's batsmen. Denly in particular is grinding away.

Eugh and a wicket on the leg side, Crawley.

DOTA

As pleased as I am with them surviving til lunch, it's not great that both openers got caught legside.