English cricket thread

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I think the promotion saves him as much as anything. They won't want to drop him after he failed trying to put the team first.
That's true. Regardless of whether he should be dropped or not, it would look awful to drop him after that.

paulscholes18

That's what I was suggesting with Stokes as no 6 bowler.
Alright, are you taking Buttler out and giving Pope the gloves? It’s just that Pope didn’t look that good when he kept wicket in New Zealand after Buttler hurt his back.

DOTA

I've just googled Rahkeem Cornwall's stats and as inevitable as the jokes about his size are... he gets his first class wickets at about 23.5 and he has more than 300 of them. Only played two tests but has 13 wickets. Also has four domestic one day hundreds, so he can bat.

He's 27, which is not at all old for a spinner.

I don't see how you can leave him out again on a spinning pitch.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I've just googled Rahkeem Cornwall's stats and as inevitable as the jokes about his size are... he gets his first class wickets at about 23.5 and he has more than 300 of them. Only played two tests but has 13 wickets. Also has four domestic one day hundreds, so he can bat.

Hope he does play it will be interesting.

paulscholes18

Can’t argue with his stats, wish we had a spinner with his stats

paulscholes18

Think is there is no way they drop Chase after this test so they would have to go with 2 spinners wouldn't they?
Chase is more of a part time spinner rather than an out & out main spin bowler, he averages less than 2 wickets a test match, a lot will depend on the fitness of there fast bowlers, I know nothing about who they have back up to Gabriel & Joesph they may have to go 3 seamers, Cornwall & Chase

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Chase is more of a part time spinner rather than an out & out main spin bowler, he averages less than 2 wickets a test match, a lot will depend on the fitness of there fast bowlers, I know nothing about who they have back up to Gabriel & Joesph they may have to go 3 seamers, Cornwall & Chase
I'm nearly 50 so all I can remember is them having the fast bowler battery and the odd Carl Hooper - would like to see Cornwall have a go his stats are promising.

DOTA

Think is there is no way they drop Chase after this test so they would have to go with 2 spinners wouldn't they?
I think they'll go with Cornwall and Chase.

One proper spinner who bowls slow left arm. One all rounder off spinner. It's not excessive for Old Trafford.

EDIT - Wait, hang on, how did I get it in to my head the Cornwall was left arm? Cricinfo says off spin.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Alright, are you taking Buttler out and giving Pope the gloves? It’s just that Pope didn’t look that good when he kept wicket in New Zealand after Buttler hurt his back.
Damn. You’re right it doesn’t work.

I’d keep Buttler but its last chance saloon to get a lot of runs.

All depends then on if Stokes is genuinely fit to bowl. If he’s fit, I’d go with

Burns
Sibley
Crawley
Root
Stokes
Pope
butler
Bess
Archer
Broad
Anderson

If he’s not able to bowl, then drop Pope for Wood but then it’s a long tail! I’d just like to see England with Wood and Archer bowling in unison one day.
Root also under a little pressure to get some runs too

DOTA

Damn. You’re right it doesn’t work. Personally I’d keep Buttler but its last chance salmon for him to get a lot of runs.

All depends then on if Stokes is genuinely fit to bowl.

If he’s fit, I’d go with

Burns
Sibley
Crawley
Root
Stokes
Pope
butler
Bess
Archer
Broad
Anderson

If he’s not able to bowl, then go drop Pope for Wood but then it’s a very long tail!
Burns is a wicketkeeper as well.

Just under 50% of all people in England and Wales are actually wicketkeepers.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Burns is a wicketkeeper as well.

Just under 50% of all people in England and Wales are actually wicketkeepers.
Haha! Seems that way.

Is Burns good enough at test level with test level bowlers? I do t think Pope is and buttler barely makes the grade of we are truly honest.

DOTA

Haha! Seems that way.

Is Burns good enough at test level with test level bowlers? I do t think Pope is and buttler barely makes the grade of we are truly honest.
Honestly, I don't know if I've ever seen him keep. Presumably he's not that good and also we're not gonna make someone keep and open.

We'd pick Foakes if we weren't desperate to justify Buttler as a test cricketer, despite his performances in test cricket... and first class cricket.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Yeah - I'll still be smiling though :) This is where we were supposed to go to Cyprus but I got over that some time ago - just having a break and switching off is really needed.
I did the exact same thing for the first test. Enjoy!

ArmchairCritic

I'm honestly not convinced England win that if anyone else in world cricket plays instead of Stokes.

What a phenomenal player.
There's a handful of cricketers of his ilk in the history of game. He goes full Keane-in-Turin every 3-4 tests and Root definitely owes his captaincy to him.

DOTA

There's a handful of cricketers of his ilk in the history of game. He goes full Keane-in-Turin every 3-4 tests and Root definitely owes his captaincy to him.
Which is handy because if Root gets sacked and Stokes is made captain we're fecked.

ArmchairCritic

Haha! Seems that way.

Buttler has dropped one catch since he returned to test cricket in 2018.

paulscholes18

Was his Blackwood drop in the last test really his only one since he took the gloves? It’s his batting I have issue with, there’s a great chance he is going to have his 5th series in a row where his average is going to be under 30

ArmchairCritic

Was his Blackwood drop in the last test really his only one since he took the gloves? It’s his batting I have issue with, there’s a great chance he is going to have his 5th series in a row where his average is going to be under 30
Yep.

Tweeted prior to that drop

DOTA

His first class average is under 32. He has no idea how to bat in the longer form.

DOTA

Also, shoutout to Chris Woakes for his 100th test wicket.
Saw him early in his career in a 20/20 match at New Road and was convinced he was the new McGrath. I've never been able to be impressed with him after that.

ArmchairCritic

Saw him early in his career in a 20/20 match at New Road and was convinced he was the new McGrath. I've never been able to be impressed with him after that.
He averages less than McGrath at Lord's!

DOTA

So, are we picking Archer or not? I think he'd be a good pick in terms of his ability, I think he was almost certainly slated to miss the next test and so it would be harsh on the others to pick him and I think he'll struggle emotionally if we don't pick him (he's a young man who doesn't know the other players as well as most of them know each other).

I have no idea.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Wow. Interesting.

Then why is there all this background noise about his suitability and the clamour for a ‘proper keeper’ like Foakes.

If his wicket keeping is competitive, theN the promise and potential of Buttler runs means he has to play, even if it hasnt really happened yet.

ArmchairCritic

So, are we picking Archer or not? I think he'd be a good pick in terms of his ability, I think he was almost certainly slated to miss the next test and so it would be harsh on the others to pick him and I think he'll struggle emotionally if we don't pick him (he's a young man who doesn't know the other players as well as most of them know each other).

I have no idea.
He knows Stokes & Buttler well from the IPL (my feeling is their endorsement was key to Morgan pulling the trigger for the World Cup). I think Archer comes in for Curran to protect Stokes from going full-on enforcer again. Would consider Leach for Bess too. Do they play on the same square for the next test?

DOTA

Wow. Interesting.

Then why is there all this background noise about his suitability and the clamour for a ‘proper keeper’ like Foakes.

Of his wicket keeping is competitive, theN the promise and potential of Buttler runs means he has to play, even if it has t really happened yet.
Part of it is because it's not just what you drop it's what you go for.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

I have no idea.
He made a mistake and authorities handed out appropriate punishment. The issue has been dealt with.

He should be first name on bowling list and has to play whenever he is match fit. Because he is a match winner and also a fan favourite. I always tune in when he is bowling or Stokes or Buttler is batting!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
If you don't dive for it, you don't drop it or catch it. There's some he should've gone for.
Ok got it! Abit like Andy Cole: people said he missed loads of chances, I think most strikers of his era wouldn’t have gotten into position in the first place. Amazing striker, wish we had him right now!

So do you think Buttler doesn’t have the instincts to create catching and stumping opportunities for himself and Foakes does? I don’t really know Foakes that well, and am abit biased towards Buttler as I like him as a person and for his ODI game.

Mcking

I don't think Wood has any business playing ahead of Woakes in England. For the third test, I could see

Burns
Sibley
Crawley
Root
Stokes
Pope
Buttler
Bess
Archer
Broad
Anderson

Not convinced by Bess, but I think they will stick with him, and having Leach over him would make a very weak tail.

I think Anderson and Archer will definitely be back, and no way Broad is being dropped.

DOTA

So do you think Buttler doesn’t have the instincts to create catching and stumping opportunities for himself and Foakes does? I don’t really know Foakes that well, and am abit biased towards Buttler as I like him as a person and for his ODI game.
I think Buttler's a one day player, potentially the best one day player in the world, and should focus on that. I'm biased against him in test cricket because I wish they'd just let him focus on what he's incredibly good at.

I've not seen much of Foakes but the word is he's the best keeper in England.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I don't think Wood has any business playing ahead of Woakes in England. For the third test, I could see

Burns
Sibley
Crawley
Root
Stokes
Pope
Buttler
Bess
Archer
Broad
Anderson

Not convinced by Bess, but I think they will stick with him, and having Leach over him would make a very weak tail.

I think Anderson and Archer will definitely be back, and no way Broad is being dropped.
Same team as I also wrote above!

I watched Bess interview after the game. He came across really well and I liked his attitude a lot. He is still so young and as he said learning on the job, so perhaps it’s too early for him. But he has a bright future.

I’m disappointed that Ali hasn’t got back into the team: he provides so much balance to the line up when on form. I wonder what his form is like right now, very hard to acquire when only bowling in the nets: i have no idea how a coach can tell if you’re doing well.

Mcking

Same team as I also wrote above!

I watched Bess interview after the game. He came across really well and I liked his attitude a lot. He is still so young and as he said learning on the job, so perhaps it’s too early for him. But he has a bright future.

I’m disappointed that Ali hasn’t got back into the team: he provides so much balance to the line up when on form. I wonder what his form is like right now, very hard to acquire when only bowling in the nets: i have no idea how a coach can tell if you’re doing well.
Although Bess has age on his side, but he's looked innocuous in his short career so far, and doesn't seem to extract a huge amount of turn.

I'm convinced the selectors will back him though and his extra ability to bat likely gives him the advantage.

NinjaFletch

I sort of share the disappointment with Woakes. Really thought he'd be an incredible player for England and he's now 31 and only played 34 tests.

Unfortunately for him came along probably 5 years too early.