English cricket thread

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Pope’s played a few very nice shots.

A bit of luck there!

AshRK

Imagine having those two teachIng you everything they know!
I feel the PCB should be patient with these quickies and groom them properly. For all the bowling skills, I feel Pakistan have lot a lot of good bowlers on non cricket issues. I remember Junaid started so well but then fizzled out. Aamir had his own issues, and same happened with Asif. I hope PCB and senior players take care of this new bunch.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I feel the PCB should be patient with these quickies and groom them properly.

Aamir had his own issues
The biggest one being his captain grooming him in to criminal conspiracy.

AshRK

The biggest one being his captain grooming him in to criminal conspiracy.
Yes and that's why it is very important the senior players take care of the young one. Babar seems to be a nice lad and I think Pak cricket is safe hands under him.

DOTA

Yes and that's why it is very important the senior players take care of the young one. Babar seems to be a nice lad and I think Pak cricket is safe hands under him.
Tips for captaining young bowlers...

Don't over bowl them. Don't put too much pressure on them. Don't get them sent to a young offenders institute in a foreign country.

Honestly, surely they'll be fine on that front? The lesson must've been made clear for the next lot coming through, even before any reminders from senior figures. They probably grew up wanting to be Amir or Asif at one point.

JohnnyKills

Still plenty of issues for England aren't there. Maybe time to stop phasing out Anderson - Woakes looks more effective with the ball these days.

Also, the WK thing looks an issue. Seems they want Buttler in the team for his leadership and influence, but if that's the case it might be worth putting him back to 6 and give Bairstow or Foakes the gloves.

Might be time to move Pope to 3 before too long and give us more options further down the order.

TheGame

Still plenty of issues for England aren't there. Maybe time to stop phasing out Anderson - Woakes looks more effective with the ball these days.

Also, the WK thing looks an issue. Seems they want Buttler in the team for his leadership and influence, but if that's the case it might be worth putting him back to 6 and give Bairstow or Foakes the gloves.

Might be time to move Pope to 3 before too long and give us more options further down the order.
Anderson still has a lot to offer and won’t be phased out. Pope is not a number 3, he has found his position, let’s not mess him around. The wicket keeper is an issue so hopefully Buttler can make a score in this match to relieve some pressure. It’s better if Stokes can bowl so a further batsmen can play.

JohnnyKills

Anderson still has a lot to offer and won’t be phased out. Pope is not a number 3, he has found his position, let’s not mess him around. The wicket keeper is an issue so hopefully Buttler can make a score in this match to relieve some pressure. It’s better if Stokes can bowl so a further batsmen can play.
How do you know Pope isn't a number three? What's that based on?

Also, how long do you think we can keep relying on Anderson for? Until he's 45? 50 maybe?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Very good day for Pakistan.
Huge credit to coaches and players for turning up match fit, razor sharp and to hit the ground running. They look in better form than England, despite starting from zero.

It's a very exciting and enjoyable team to watch, packed with world class youthful bowling talent (Naseem is 17, Shaheen is 20 and Shedab nearly 22).

This series will be a real handful for England, who will be really tested in home conditions. In a way, it's a shame it's only 3 tests.

DOTA

Also, how long do you think we can keep relying on Anderson for? Until he's 45? 50 maybe?
James Southerton only made his test debut at 49 and he got his wickets at 15 and a bit.

TheGame

He batted higher when he was first brought into the team and he struggled. He bats at 5 or 6 for Surrey and he is finding his groove in his role so why mess him around.
I reckon Anderson will play until the next Ashes then will probably retire. A lot of test matches coming up so the bowlers will be rotated anyway.

paulscholes18

Stupid from Joe Root today, picks 5 bowlers yet still bowled himself. Got himself out yet again playing an awful shot. He’s a jack the lad not a captain.
The best England side I’ve seen was when it was Swann & 3 Seamers when they took apart Australia in their own back garden. If (which I’m guessing is the case) you don’t trust your spinner, news flash Joe don’t pick one. Should always be your 6 best batsmen best WK and 4 best bowlers, having a batsmen who can bowl is a luxury not a necessity.
Also England are heading for their 4th first test match defeat at home in 5 series (not including Ireland as that was a one off test match)

Mcking

If Stokes is good to bowl in the next match, then England should be looking to drop Anderson for a batsman imo.

JohnnyKills

Stupid from Joe Root today, picks 5 bowlers yet still bowled himself. Got himself out yet again playing an awful shot. He’s a jack the lad not a captain.
The best England side I’ve seen was when it was Swann & 3 Seamers when they took apart Australia in their own back garden. If (which I’m guessing is the case) you don’t trust your spinner, news flash Joe don’t pick one. Should always be your 6 best batsmen best WK and 4 best bowlers, having a batsmen who can bowl is a luxury not a necessity.
Also England are heading for their 4th first test match defeat at home in 5 series (not including Ireland as that was a one off test match)
All good points there. As you say, Stokes hardly bowls anyway - why did we need to bring in a bowler to replace an asset we barely use?

TheGame

I don’t agree with the selection but can understand why they want 5 bowlers so Archer can be used sparingly and other seamers in bursts. Having said that, the batting is fragile so they should have focused on that. Root only bowled before the new ball but no idea why one of the back up seamers didn’t if they had 4.

YAMS49

If Stokes is good to bowl in the next match, then England should be looking to drop Anderson for a batsman imo.
A bowler will naturally drop out, yes. My money would be on Anderson or Archer. They may even drop both for Wood or Curran.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Just been going through Root's batting numbers. Averages 42 as captain, which is made slightly more favourable by his first summer as captain when he averaged 61. Since the 2017 Ashes he averages 39 with 4 hundreds. 2 of those hundreds were in dead rubbers, 1 of those was in a boring draw and the other was in the 2nd test away @ Sri Lanka. He averages 30 batting in the top 3 as captain vs 45 when he bats @ 4. One of the interesting aspects of this team selection is the fact he's put himself back in at 3 when we already decided that he was no good there in the India series in 2018.

Mcking

A bowler will naturally drop out, yes. My money would be on Anderson or Archer. They may even drop both for Wood or Curran.
As far as I'm concerned, Wood has no business playing in England with the amount of riches available.

Broad and Woakes has been England's best since the restart, and with them, I don't think Anderson who hasn't been very good, is needed. Curran is very good at home and could bat, but I'd still lean towards Archer.

I'd ditch Bess too and bring back Leach with Broad showing promising signs with the bat. Broad and Woakes has really carried this England attack this summer.

YAMS49

Broad's innings while fun was a one off imo, he's just a hitter now. There's very little defensive technique there. I'd expect Pakistan's superior quicks to get him very quickly.

Curran brings the left arm variety so I would select him over Wood. You cant play Archer & Wood together as proven at Southampton, they are there for the same role. Woakes over Anderson makes some sense as does Leach for Bess given the amount of right handers Pakistan have.

Mcking

Broad's innings while fun was a one off imo, he's just a hitter now. There's very little defensive technique there. I'd expect Pakistan's superior quicks to get him very quickly.

Curran brings the left arm variety so I would select him over Wood. You cant play Archer & Wood together as proven at Southampton, they are there for the same role. Woakes over Anderson makes some sense as does Leach for Bess given the amount of right handers Pakistan have.
Even without Broad's batting, I'd still be looking for an 8, 9, 10, 11 of Woakes, Archer, Broad and Leach. My worry is the potential for a long tail, but I think it's what England should be looking to play. I don't even see how Wood comes into the equation.

YAMS49

Even without Broad's batting, I'd still be looking for an 8, 9, 10, 11 of Woakes, Archer, Broad and Leach. My worry is the potential for a long tail, but I think it's what England should be looking to play. I don't even see how Wood comes into the equation.
That tail looks fine to me, Woakes is definitely an 8 at the moment & the other three are capable enough.

YAMS49

Agree. Woakes is no mug with the bat hence the confidence to play him at 7 here (although a bit too high).
He is a seven when on form but not right now, he's forgot where his off stump is which happens. Playing too far away from his body.

DOTA

He is a seven when on form but not right now, he's forgot where his off stump is which happens. Playing too far away from his body.
He averages 25. He's not a seven.

DOTA

I tend not to look at averages for keeper & below are they are usually situational innings. You can see who can bat & who can't that far down, it's pretty obvious.
Would you have batted Swann at seven? Bresnan?