English cricket thread

JohnnyKills

Can see why Bairstow and Root went for that single - they needed runs wherever they could - but the coordination was farcical.

Bairstow has run Root out before hasn't he? Against India at Edgbaston if I'm not wrong.

slyadams

Jesus Christ! Don't get as tense as this when United are playing!

We should be ok though now, right? Even if we lose a clatter of wickets tomorrow morning, someone should be able to club a few to get us over the line. But bloody hell...
Don’t count on it no. The tail is longer in this side that we’re used to. If we lose 2 for a few in the morning that would get very hairy.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Bairstow and Lawrence seemed to calm things down again which is nice, so long as they can both see off a few overs in the morning with Buttler coming in behind them I think we should be ok.

Also I feel like we say this with English batsmen a lot but I like the look of Lawrence

JohnnyKills

Don’t count on it no. The tail is longer in this side that we’re used to. If we lose 2 for a few in the morning that would get very hairy.
Still think we'll get there. All we need is a few wild hacks to come off. But yeah, will be tense if we lose a couple early.

JohnnyKills

Bairstow and Lawrence seemed to calm things down again which is nice, so long as they can both see off a few overs in the morning with Buttler coming in behind them I think we should be ok.

Also I feel like we say this with English batsmen a lot but I like the look of Lawrence
Same

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Oh boy! Who would've thought this would be the situation after we scored 421!

"Only the 11th time in test history both England openers have been out for single figures in both innings".

Did I hear that right?
I have to admit, ever since Adelaide '06 I can't help but always ponder England collapsing from a position of strength when they are on tour.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
As funny and life affirming as that Australia-India series was I reckon the repercussions of it reduce England's chances in the Ashes. Firstly I expect some pretty dead pitches next summer and secondly I had hoped Paine would still be taking up a spot in the team.

zing

Zingle balls
Burns, Sibley, Crawley, Root, Stokes, Buttler, Lawrence, Ali, Broad, Archer, Leach

will this be the lineup v India? Just looking at the squad announced today. Pretty good team.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Burns, Sibley, Crawley, Root, Stokes, Buttler, Lawrence, Ali, Broad, Archer, Leach

will this be the lineup v India? Just looking at the squad announced today. Pretty good team.
I'd expect Pope to get the nod over Lawrence unless he scores a ton in both innings in this test match or something ridiculous.

Other than that looks about right assuming Ali proves his form/fitness. We are a building a strong side but our spin options are likely to let us down in India unless you produce some seaming pitches.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy

Not sure between Bess and Ali. The fast bowlers will probably rotate a lot.
I'd expect Pope to get the nod over Lawrence unless he scores a ton in both innings in this test match or something ridiculous.

Other than that looks about right assuming Ali proves his form/fitness. We are a building a strong side but our spin options are likely to let us down in India unless you produce some seaming pitches.
Pope isn't fit.

EDIT - Also, Bairstow, Wood and Curran are rested for the first two matches but available after, I think.

DOTA

I thought I read yesterday he was. Fair enough.
He's playing warm up games but they decided against putting him in the squad, for the first couple matches at least.

zing

Zingle balls

Curious to see how Burns, Sibley, Crawley, Lawrence/Pope go against our spinners. We are missing Jadeja unfortunately but Kuldeep should hopefully step up. Looking forward to the series. Just a couple weeks away now.

DOTA

Curious to see how Burns, Sibley, Crawley, Lawrence/Pope go against our spinners. We are missing Jadeja unfortunately but Kuldeep should hopefully step up. Looking forward to the series. Just a couple weeks away now.
So Kuldeep and Ashwin? Obviously very different bowlers but both spinning it the same way isn't ideal. A slow left armer like Jadeja really would've been handy.

AshRK

I hope india plays spin duo of ashwin and kuldeep. But feel they will have sundar replace jadeja and we will play with 3 pacers plus ashwin and sundar.

NinjaFletch

I guess the amount of cricket we have makes it inevitable but some of these pre announced rotations don't sit right with me. It's already going to be a herculean effort and deliberately weakening the side makes that task much harder. I suspect we won't do it in the Ashes unless needed, so why do it against India?

JohnnyKills

I guess the amount of cricket we have makes it inevitable but some of these pre announced rotations don't sit right with me. It's already going to be a herculean effort and deliberately weakening the side makes that task much harder. I suspect we won't do it in the Ashes unless needed, so why do it against India?
Yeah.

The big one for me was Buttler. If he needs a break, why not give him one against SL?

Unless they plan to bring him back later in the tour?

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Are there any day/night matches scheduled for the India-England Test series?!

JohnnyKills

Famous last words but I think England will fancy their chances against Kuldeep, particularly with so many being right-handers.

zing

Zingle balls
Agree. Seems a bit early to be preempting workloads to me as well. Bairstow just made runs. Wood sent home — I don’t rate him but England do. This seems like the series you have been grooming him for. Disappointed really.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I know you guys don't rate Bairstow but very bizzare that he's been sent back for first two test. Buttler been sent back after the first test.

paulscholes18

Nothing in this pitch for the bowlers, unfortunately it looks like it’s going to be hard work getting the remaining 8 wickets.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
How has Thirmanne suddenly started scoring runs? He's pretty garbage.

JohnnyKills

Agree. Seems a bit early to be preempting workloads to me as well. Bairstow just made runs. Wood sent home — I don’t rate him but England do. This seems like the series you have been grooming him for. Disappointed really.
This squad is only for the first two tests. So does that mean we can bring Wood and the rest back for the final three?

NinjaFletch

I think Wood’s at his best on genuinely quick pitches where he can bowl gas and knock people over. On slow pitches, he just ends up being medium fast and, worse, doing stupid things like bowling nothing but yorkers and bouncers because he’s asked to be a point of difference.

Unless you’re bowling 100mph I just don’t see how a pitch like this isn’t just going to suck the energy out of a bouncer.

Edit: And there we go, a wicket with a good length ball.

Last edited:

JohnnyKills

I think Wood’s at his best on genuinely quick pitches where he can bowl gas and knock people over. On slow pitches, he just ends up being medium fast and, worse, doing stupid things like bowling nothing but yorkers and bouncers because he’s asked to be a point of difference.

Unless you’re bowling 100mph I just don’t see how a pitch like this isn’t just going to suck the energy out of a bouncer.
Sometimes these things come back to haunt us don't they :)

NinjaFletch

Sometimes these things come back to haunt us don't they :)
Well yes, but that wicket was exactly my point! I’d rather see him operating on a good length bowling properly with the occasional bouncer and yorker than being really full or really short all the time.

JohnnyKills

Edit: And there we go, a wicket with a good length ball.
Agree that these pitches don't really suit Wood, as they knock his pace down, but that's true of every seamer isn't it.

The yorker-bouncer thing is an attempt to remove the pitch altogether and get the batsman to do something stupid. He's already sconned one of the SL batsman so hard to say it hasn't been effective.

NinjaFletch

Agree that these pitches don't really suit Wood, as they knock his pace down, but that's true of every seamer isn't it.

The yorker-bouncer thing is an attempt to remove the pitch altogether and get the batsman to do something stupid. He's already sconned one of the SL batsman so hard to say it hasn't been effective.
I guess I fundamentally don’t see how smashing the ball into the middle of the pitch takes it out of the equation!

Wood’s still quick enough to be dangerous, so I’m not saying he shouldn’t bowl them at all (or maybe even have periods where you barrage people), but I think as a primary point of attack he should still be relying on the fundamentals of bowling, pitching it up and targeting the off stump - especially as he’s probably the best exponent of reverse swing we have.

JohnnyKills

I guess I fundamentally don’t see how smashing the ball into the middle of the pitch takes it out of the equation!

Wood’s still quick enough to be dangerous, so I’m not saying he shouldn’t bowl them at all (or maybe even have periods where you barrage people), but I think as a primary point of attack he should still be relying on the fundamentals of bowling, pitching it up and targeting the off stump - especially as he’s probably the best exponent of reverse swing we have.
Guess they just figured the pitch was flat and the ball wasn't reversing, so no point bowling length. Maybe he'll bowl a bit fuller as the reverse-swing comes in.