English cricket thread

zing

Zingle balls
How shit do you have to be to be 130 for 9 at home in Asia..

slyadams

That looks to be a terrible decision to me, there is a frame where a bail is out and the bat is clearly in the air and not grounded.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
That really was a pathetic effort. Just giving their wickets away.

zing

Zingle balls
Sibley nicking one trying to turn the ball to the onside in his first innings in Asia. Could’ve put money on that 6 months ago.

zing

Zingle balls
Who comes into this team for the India tests? Pope, Stokes and Archer?

NinjaFletch

Bess's second wicket might be one of the worst I've ever seen taken in international cricket.

paulscholes18

Who comes into this team for the India tests? Pope, Stokes and Archer?
Depends on how many from Ali, Leach and Bess England play, if England play all 3 play & 3 quicks (including Stokes) then I think Pope may miss out.
Burns I also expect will come back in to the side.

paulscholes18

Bess's second wicket might be one of the worst I've ever seen taken in international cricket.
And his 3rd wicket might have been the luckiest in history , hitting the back of Bairstow’s boot as he’s trying to jump out of the way and the ball popping up nicely for Buttler :lol:

DOTA

Was that the cut shot?

Honestly, I'm a bit angry with Sri Lanka which is not a feeling I usually get when opponents are crap. It just didn't look like they were taking it seriously.

NinjaFletch

Was that the cut shot?

Honestly, I'm a bit angry with Sri Lanka which is not a feeling I usually get when opponents are crap. It just didn't look like they were taking it seriously.
They're shortly back off of getting destroyed in South Africa. I imagine that tour, and isolation life, has left them a bit frazzled.

DOTA

Just starting, after rain.

Don't throw this one away, Joe.

EDIT - 99 not out at lunch...

Last edited:

Mcking

Just starting, after rain.

Don't throw this one away, Joe.

EDIT - 99 not out at lunch...
Root's got his century now, and Lawrence has a half century. If Lawrence does well on this tour, surely England has to start considering Pope for No.3 when he returns?

I'd like him to make that position his own. A Pope, Root, Stokes 3-5 could be something else.

DOTA

Lawrence gone but it was coming. He'd really started to struggle.

Root past 150 and now the highest score by an England player in Sri Lanka. Closing in on being the 7th England player to 8000 test runs. There's only one over 9000.

JohnnyKills

Lawrence gone but it was coming. He'd really started to struggle.

Root past 150 and now the highest score by an England player in Sri Lanka. Closing in on being the 7th England player to 8000 test runs. There's only one over 9000.
Looks like pitch is becoming a minefield, which England will be delighted about. Hopefully they take the game to Sri Lanka when they get back on - prob the best way to go on this pitch now.

JohnnyKills

Are we going to get back out today? There's about an hour left of scheduled play isn't there, and they've already lost plenty of time today with the first break. Light may be an option but spinners will be on anyway.

TheGame

Looks like pitch is becoming a minefield, which England will be delighted about. Hopefully they take the game to Sri Lanka when they get back on - prob the best way to go on this pitch now.
Definitely right way if rain forecast for the rest of the match but if not, then rather England use time in the middle as there has been a lack of warm up games.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Unfortunately, Sri Lanka look out of their depth with the state of the team at the moment. I'd have Bangladesh and even Afghanistan ahead of them in terms of strength of the team. As a cricket fam I very much hope this is just a blip and not a long term downward trend.

Lanka has produced some of the best cricketers in the world over the last few decades.

DOTA

Definitely right way if rain forecast for the rest of the match but if not, then rather England use time in the middle as there has been a lack of warm up games.
It is. Particularly tomorrow but the two after as well.

JohnnyKills

Surely the ICC could pay for the installation of hovercovers and drainage facilities in Sri Lanka and other less wealthy members?

Wouldn't cost the earth but would be a major benefit to those countries.

TheGame

Unfortunately, Sri Lanka look out of their depth with the state of the team at the moment. I'd have Bangladesh and even Afghanistan ahead of them in terms of strength of the team. As a cricket fam I very much hope this is just a blip and not a long term downward trend.

Lanka has produced some of the best cricketers in the world over the last few decades.
Certain players who showed promise such as Dickwella havent kicked on.Hopefully once some of the newer players get some experience they can start improving.

paulscholes18

Looking at the BBC weather forecast for Galle, looks like they may only be 5 sessions of play over the remaining 3 days, with a 185 run lead it may be worth to declare first thing,.

Hephaestus

One of the dumber looking run outs I've ever seen there. Just after Root's double century.

DOTA

Bess has started better this innings. So he's presumably going to go wicketless.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Well this spin bowling 'attack' bodes well for the India tour.
For some reason I thought these were your backup spinners? If these two are you main spinner then there'll be some amazing stat padding by our batsman.

NinjaFletch

For some reason I thought these were your backup spinners? If these two are you main spinner then there'll be some amazing stat padding by our batsman.
Back up to who?

Ali will probably play if he's fit and is, probably, the best of the bunch. Maybe Parkinson will get an emergency call up if this shit continues

JohnnyKills

Back up to who?

Ali will probably play if he's fit and is, probably, the best of the bunch. Maybe Parkinson will get an emergency call up if this shit continues
Yeah they haven't bowled particularly well have they. Neither of them seem to be able to hold that magic 'bat and a handle' length where the batsman has to lunge forward and can't smother it.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Back up to who?

Ah alright. Since Anderson isn't playing, I assumed that this was your backup bowling lineup.

If Ali is the best spinner then it's quite bad. Tbf India might not have Jadeja and Ashwin avaliable too.

JohnnyKills

Back up to who?

Ali's definitely the best wicket-taker and you could swap him for Curran without unbalancing the side. He had the yips though didn't he - is he over those?

NinjaFletch

Ah alright. Since Anderson isn't playing, I assumed that this was your backup bowling lineup.

If Ali is the best spinner then it's quite bad. Tbf India might not have Jadeja and Ashwin avaliable too.
Nah Anderson is out there, they just think that Wood's pace makes him a better pick. I don't know if I agree but that's the thinking.

Archer and Stokes might be back for India, but the spin bowling cupboard is a bit bare.

JohnnyKills

There we go! He should be on that spot all the time. A Jadeja or Vettori would be hitting that spot five balls out of six.

AshRK

Looking forward to the india England test series. Jadeja will be a huge miss as Ashwin-Jadeja combination at home especially is deadly. Seriously hope Ashwin is fit.