English cricket thread

zing

Zingle balls
No posts about the England-NZ series? Tbh it's quiet pointless as it has no consequences.
I am looking forward to it. English test cricket summer is one of the best things on the sporting calendar.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I am looking forward to it. English test cricket summer is one of the best things on the sporting calendar.
Plus there's feck all to do right now as offices are all on WFH.

Dan_F

Not sure what it’s like at Lords, but where I am there’s definitely showers forecast today (after a spell of really nice weather obviously).

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Not sure what it’s like at Lords, but where I am there’s definitely showers forecast today (after a spell of really nice weather obviously).
I'd be surprised if play's disrupted today. Absolutely glorious here.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
A review like that should cost 2 reviews. It pitched a mile outside leg stump, how did Wood & WK not know that :lol:

JohnnyKills

Hard to say how good a day that was until you've seen both sides bat. Looks a great pitch.

England's bowling looked a bit toothless though. Have to say, for all Broad and Anderson bowled beautifully over the winter I'd be wary of picking them together unless it's seaming and swinging.

Robinson looked good. Reminded me a lot of Josh Hazelwood.

JohnnyKills

None of the IPL lads are playing in the NZ series.

From England's perspective, always think it's a bad idea whenever they don't have a spinner.
Tough one though isn't it. How do you balance the side?

This comes back to the problem with Leach. He doesn't bat. If he could bat at 7 or 8 like Moeen or Bess can, he'd probably have played.

Dan_F

That felt like a bit of a let down in terms of action. I was working while it was on in the background but there didn’t even really seem to be any edges or close LBW shouts.

England need a quick wicket or two tomorrow, or it’ll be a long day for the fast bowlers.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Ollie Robinson trending on twitter, involved in massive controversy for old tweets posted years ago. He's just released a statement apologising.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Ollie Robinson trending on twitter, involved in massive controversy for old tweets posted years ago. He's just released a statement apologising.
Some people saying “move on” & actually criticising people bringing up the old tweets, but he’s wrong for tweeting it to begin with - doesn’t matter how long ago it was.

The apology is welcome but I think a fine at the very least from ECB/ICC will happen, particularly after both teams had the anti-discrimination message before start of play.

TheGame

Some people saying “move on” & actually criticising people bringing up the old tweets, but he’s wrong for tweeting it to begin with - doesn’t matter how long ago it was.

The apology is welcome but I think a fine at the very least from ECB/ICC will happen, particularly after both teams had the anti-discrimination message before start of play.
Just had a look, there’s some pretty bad stuff on there and it’s not just one tweet, it’s several of them.

you would think they have someone who goes through social media accounts of people they call up?

yes of course it’s wrong in the first place - but it also says something about people who go rummaging through peoples past to dig up stuff.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Whenever I see stuff like this it reminds me how dumb teenagers are and were. I’m sure a lot of people in their early 30s like me are relieved we didn’t have social media until we were a bit older.

What’s more surprising is they still haven’t learnt to do a tidy up of their accounts, have the authorities not grasped this yet, I’d be deleting all my social media if I turned pro

TheGame

Hard to say how good a day that was until you've seen both sides bat. Looks a great pitch.

England's bowling looked a bit toothless though. Have to say, for all Broad and Anderson bowled beautifully over the winter I'd be wary of picking them together unless it's seaming and swinging.

He is actually good friends with him and has played club cricket in Australia.

zing

Zingle balls
Whenever I see stuff like this it reminds me how dumb teenagers are and were. I’m sure a lot of people in their early 30s like me are relieved we didn’t have social media until we were a bit older.

What’s more surprising is they still haven’t learnt to do a tidy up of their accounts, have the authorities not grasped this yet, I’d be deleting all my social media if I turned pro
George Dobell sums it up for me:

Others will point out that we may all have once been young and foolish, but we have not all been young, foolish and racist.

18 is not too young to not know better.

Dan_F

Definitely, but then again he was 18 at the time. I definitely had Facebook by then. It’s just as well Bebo and MySpace aren’t available any more. I purged my Twitter and Facebook a while ago, even though they’re private.

zing

Zingle balls

The run-up especially, didn't it? Thought the same watching him.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town

Others will point out that we may all have once been young and foolish, but we have not all been young, foolish and racist.

I dunno about that, I know countless people who are completely different people to when they were 18, so many 18 year olds are total idiots

Trequarista10

It's not that clear cut at all, most 18 year olds I knew said and did far worse but are now mature, conscientious adults. Half of them were always conscientious but reckless teenagers who thought offensive jokes were funny, half were actually just immature and bigoted but grew out of it eventually.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
It's not that clear cut at all, most 18 year olds I knew said and did far worse but are now mature, conscientious adults. Half of them were always conscientious but reckless teenagers who thought offensive jokes were funny, half were actually just immature and bigoted but grew out of it eventually.
There is this thing about posting it online though. One thing thinking it or voicing it privately but ....There’s been plenty of advice and education about that for years.

We should be able to forgive him and move on though

zing

Zingle balls
I dunno about that, I know countless people who are completely different people to when they were 18, so many 18 year olds are total idiots
Actually.. I just read Dobell’s article and formed an opinion which I shouldn’t have done. I’ve just seen the tweets in question and agree with you. The article made it seem a lot worse.

VP

Society as a whole is giving far too much importance to social media. I mean in one of the jokes he even acknowledges he's being racist. The crime here is on the quality of humour more than anything else.

ChrisNelson

What were the tweets, none of the news articles I've read have them so its quite hard to actually form an opinion without seeing what was said.
I've seen a couple, one said my new Muslim friend is the bomb and the other said I wonder if Asians smile like this ¦)

I'm not sure if there are others.

Any racism is bad but unfortunately that's the kind of 'banter' that 18/19 year olds (as he was then) exchange, and I've seen a lot worse on social media in recent times, mainly responding to tweets.

I'd like to think everyone can move past this now he's apologised.

BR7

I’ve been called a lot worst by grown men on football and rugby pitches with plenty of racial abuse. I can look beyond what a 18/20 year old has said. We all make mistakes as kids/young adults. An apology is good enough.

when Jamie Carragher can spit at a child, toss coins into crowds and more as a fully grown adult and still gets to keep his job, this is a nothing in comparison.

I personally have no issue with him, it’s not like he’s carried on since then. People (specially young adults) make mistakes. Move on nothing to see here.

go get some wickets young man snd get on with your life

ChrisNelson

Yes I think the thing to remember is people will say he should held to higher account than a normal member of the public, because he's in the spotlight and kids will look up to him.

Which I kind of get, but young kids watching Ollie Robinson bowl will not then be trawling back 8 years through his Twitter account.

It's the same in every sport, we find a new talent (although at 27 he's not a youngster) and there will always be someone doing whatever they can to bring him or her down.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I would personally avoid racist tweets from my teens popping up when in the public eye by not posting racist tweets.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Anyway back to the Cricket. Looks a good batting deck but i'm not sure it's 'that' good. Think NZ are batting very well here and England as usual making the wrong call team make up wise.

This new regime has cocked up the bowling line up in particular in about 5 of the last 6 tests. Been hidden slightly by the 'rotation' talk, but the rotation has been poor.

Moiraine

Society as a whole is giving far too much importance to social media. I mean in one of the jokes he even acknowledges he's being racist. The crime here is on the quality of humour more than anything else.
Oh my goodness... you can’t be serious. There is some really bad stuff there...