English cricket thread

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
You haven't heard of background checks? Checking the social media of any acquisitions is pretty common. It's taken to a different level ofcourse when you're representing the national team.
To be fair even if they had checked, should they have then released it and said they weren't picking him based on the racist tweets?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
there are a lot less draws now than there used to be. No need for 6 days.

on a slightly unrelated point, when did it become standard to start on a Wednesday? Always used to be Thursdays - with the biggest crowds on the 3rd and 4th days. Finishing on a Sunday, when often there are refunds doesn’t seem to be a financially sound decision?
Wednesday start means there are back-to-back tests with the next one starting the following Thursday.

So the options are either Wed-Sun + Thu-Mon or Thu-Mon + Fri-Tue. I think they want as much as the climax between Fri-Sun so can see why they prefer the first option.

Wednesday start means there are back-to-back tests with the next one starting the following Thursday.

So the options are either Wed-Sun + Thu-Mon or Thu-Mon + Fri-Tue. I think they want as much as the climax between Fri-Sun so can see why they prefer the first option.
makes sense, I hadn’t even looked forward to the second test to see when it starts, and wrongly assumed it was Wednesday.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
What a ridiculously bad shot that is.

Huge trouble now. Batting line up looks so inexperienced minus Stokes and Buttler.

paulscholes18

Get yourself in first before playing shots like that, Crawley made the same mistake which makes it even worse. With only Bracey and the tail to come could easily be out for under 200

JohnnyKills

Tbf England took seven for about 100 on day two didn't they. It's the limp first-day performance that's costing us.

Dan_F

Think that’s been taken out of the game now.. a draw is the only possible result now..
It really isn’t, regardless of the follow on. NZ could pile runs onto a lead of 180 and be 350 ahead by mid morning tomorrow.

Dan_F

Tailenders wafting at the ball, when there’s an opener near his century at the other end :rolleyes:

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Early lunch taken. I’d guess Kiwis will declare with a 300-320 lead which should leave about 65-70 overs in the day (weather permitting)… unless Kane’s really up for it & wants to declare over lunch with the 272 lead!

ha_rooney

They have declared over lunch. 273 to get, minimum 75 overs to play. Good to see the aggression to try & force a win.

Dan_F

Strange that NZ didn’t go even harder before lunch if that was always the plan. Although I’m sure they want England to think about doing more than defending.

Cracking deceleration. England wouldn’t have done it.
100%, was just about to say that.

Nico87

Do we actually put a foot on the accelerator and go for this or are we playing for the draw?, a bit disappointing so far. New Zealand were bold shame we are not meeting them halfway.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
This batting line up looks incapable of any kind of intent at the moment. Mixture of lack of form, inexperienced and complete blockers (Sibley).

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I really rate NZ setting that target but wish we’d have had the balls to actually have a go at it. Live a little

Dan_F

I’ve had it on in the background this afternoon and it seems like England have scored 50 off edges, leg byes and wides.

ha_rooney

England are being so boring with this effort.

Nico87

Should be booed off for this effort, really cowardly. New Zealand laid down a a gauntlet and instead we’ve just tried (and failed anyway) to protect batting averages.

AshRK

Understandable to play to save the match first especially when you don't have stokes or butler but now they could be a bit more adventurous. This doesn't do anyone any good. Absolute borefest it has become.