English cricket thread

Dan_F

Are they rain clouds in the background? Please be rain. I have no idea why I’m still watching this.

ChrisNelson

I love Test cricket but this match will do little for its future, it will just reinforce why more players are following the money in to the T20 tournaments.

New Zealand did their bit by declaring and England have had absolutely no intention of going for the target, which at 4 an over was perfectly gettable.

I just think in the end there’s too many England batsmen who are scared for their place in the team and didn’t want to take any risks.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
I love test cricket, it is my favourite of all formats. However, over the last few years it has becoming increasingly marginalized by first ODI cricket and more recently T20. Like any sporting event wins and losses are extremely important but if nobody comes to watch ultimately what is the point? What England chose to do today is exactly why test cricket has come under pressure relative to the shorter formats. Something definitely needs to change.

Dan_F

This is it pretty much

Definitely. Although, there’s no chance NZ set that target against a full England team. Without the rain I’m pretty confident it would have been a NZ win.

When do the likes of Buttler come back in?

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Root’s on form with his reviews. Looked absolutely plumb live, confirmed on review.

ha_rooney

Shame that England never tried for the win at any point in this innings. A bit of urgency at any point before/after tea & this last hour would’ve been fun.

Not sure why NZ haven’t accepted the draw yet.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Shame that England never tried for the win at any point in this innings. A bit of urgency at any point before/after tea & this last hour would’ve been fun.

Not sure why NZ haven’t accepted the draw yet.
NZ barely play any cricket so may as well stay out there.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
It’s ridiculous that they don’t check this sort of thing beforehand. Ideally they would have checked his history, seen the tweets and investigated before picking him to try and decide was he an idiotic 18 year old who’s grown up or is he still a gross guy.

BR7

It’s an utter farce. Earlier post said it’s amateurish ... at best. He wouldn’t be facing any of this if they’d carried out their due diligence before selecting him.

ChrisNelson

I don't get what is to investigate? What do they expect him to say?

He was clearly a bit of a rebel in his younger days, we already knew that from what happened at Yorkshire.

And during this time he's made an error of judgement with his tweets.

He's apologised and as long as the tweets are not reflective of him as a person now we should be able to move on from this.

If we're expecting every professional sportsperson to have been the perfect boy scout from birth to when they're in the public spotlight then I think that's a bit ambitious.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
To be fair the tweets go beyond that expected of a normal young lad. I don’t see how he can escape a ban.

I don't get what is to investigate? What do they expect him to say?

He was clearly a bit of a rebel in his younger days, we already knew that from what happened at Yorkshire.

And during this time he's made an error of judgement with his tweets.

He's apologised and as long as the tweets are not reflective of him as a person now we should be able to move on from this.

If we're expecting every professional sportsperson to have been the perfect boy scout from birth to when they're in the public spotlight then I think that's a bit ambitious.
the ECB have to be seen to be doing something. This is their fault as well as him. He’s completely embarrassed English cricket.

hopefully they can get action taken quickly and everyone can move on.

rightly or wrongly I expect he’s going to be treated as if he wrote those tweets last week.

paulscholes18

Hopefully Robinson will be available for India tests (NZ on Thursday ideally), after both Boris and Dowden said the ECB have gone too far.

ha_rooney

Hopefully Robinson will be available for India tests (NZ on Thursday ideally), after both Boris and Dowden said the ECB have gone too far.
Boris is hardly someone you want championing your case.

Personally I think he’ll get a 1 game ban, which is fair as it shows the ECB taking action. Anything more than that would be going too far, unless they have more recent evidence of similar racist behaviour.

FlawlessThaw

Last couple of years have shown English cricket has an issue with racism. Carberry's point about how none of Robinson's employers (England, Sussex and Yorkshire) picked up on it is a fair one.

Balljy

Last couple of years have shown English cricket has an issue with racism. Carberry's point about how none of Robinson's employers (England, Sussex and Yorkshire) picked up on it is a fair one.
As is the point about Rashford being racially abused and Dowden making no comment to that, but he is now. I think that was a really good interview.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

"Why has this guy been allowed to get this far in his career and achieve what he's achieved at the highest level?"

You'd have thought he'd fecking raped or killed somebody.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
"Why has this guy been allowed to get this far in his career and achieve what he's achieved at the highest level?"

You'd have thought he'd fecking raped or killed somebody.
I’m not sure that’s the point though. Robinson would have been quite content to carry on as normal had not those tweets been exposed. There may be some level of over reaction on both sides but it doesn’t take away the fact that he posted the comments and now has to deal with the consequences. That’s on him; the reaction just demonstrates the society we live in

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
You're not allowed to do anything wrong ever in your life otherwise it'll come back and ruin your career. Some poor 2 year old who has just punched his sister is in for a rough old life.

FlawlessThaw

You're not allowed to do anything wrong ever in your life otherwise it'll come back and ruin your career. Some poor 2 year old who has just punched his sister is in for a rough old life.
Apparently Ollie Robinson also had the audacity to claim he was English, that was what really got him suspended pending an investigation.

croadyman

WOW what a game to start the blast how on earth my team Worcs got a draw out of that I will never know, we looked totally out of it at 76-0 and yes still never beaten them at New Road but certainly know how to deny Notts victory at the death

zing

Zingle balls
Williamson out of the test. Sounds like he's back for the India match which is a good thing.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Williamson out of the test. Sounds like he's back for the India match which is a good thing.
Terrible lead in for England with all the media around the Robinson saga / other players now involved and now NZ missing their main man.

Very hard test to call.

only if they managed to tweet a picture of it along with the comment “feck you sister, your going to be a [insert stereotype here] cnut when you grow up.

I agree with your point though.

Trequarista10

So what's the England team for 2nd test? Simply Leach in for Robinson? Means the tail is quite long, I would prefer Overton replaces one of the other seamers as well. He's in fantastic form, has improved his game and added some pace since getting a couple caps previously.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
WOW what a game to start the blast how on earth my team Worcs got a draw out of that I will never know, we looked totally out of it at 76-0 and yes still never beaten them at New Road but certainly know how to deny Notts victory at the death
hey another Worcester boy! Was a crazy result for sure, always enjoy the blast hopefully can actually get to some games this year

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Offensiveness is subjective, so who gets to decide what qualifies as offensive?
Have you seen the tweets in question? They are objectively pretty offensive and at 18 you should know better. It’s also the fact there are so many. I think 1 or 2 offensive tweets and I’d say yeh that’s a clear mistake and out of character. 30 odd tweets indicate the guy was pretty insensitive.

BR7

I’ve always had a love for Worcester ever since the days of:

Dilley (RIP)
Beefy
Alderman
Cutis
Neale
Dolly
Radford

many more

but the biggest name of all G Hick. His 405 no against Somerset (if I remember down in Taunton) was one of the greatest knocks ever.

great club Worcester, always had a DF bat as well.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I’ve always had a love for Worcester ever since the days of:

Dilley (RIP)
Beefy
Alderman
Cutis
Neale
Dolly
Radford

many more

but the biggest name of all G Hick. His 405 no against Somerset (if I remember down in Taunton) was one of the greatest knocks ever.

great club Worcester, always had a DF bat as well.
Hick was a nice bloke too tbf, you’d often see him around town (as you do with cricketers) and he was always happy to chat or sign something, which I can imagine can get very annoying.

Also on that subject it reminded me Steve Harmison was a nice bloke too, we ran into him in a club in Worcester when his brother was playing against us and he indulged my mate telling him all about his village cricket bowling figures that year :lol: