English cricket thread

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Bracey's one of the worst selections I've seen.

Hope he's able to get his career back on track for Gloucestershire cause we've really messed him up here bringing him in as top order cover and then chucking him the gloves and batting him at seven.

Nico87

How many England careers have ended this test?, doubt we’ll see Bracey ad Robinson again!. I Would also drop Crawley as he’s not ready yet but remains a decent prospect and Sibley is not good enough for this level.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Bracey's one of the worst selections I've seen.

Hope he's able to get his career back on track for Gloucestershire cause we've really messed him up here bringing him in as top order cover and then chucking him the gloves and batting him at seven.
Embarrassing all round from the selectors to the team. I hate asking,‘what’s wrong with English cricket?’ But what has gone wrong with English cricket?

DOTA

How many England careers have ended this test?, doubt we’ll see Bracey ad Robinson again!. I Would also drop Crawley as he’s not ready yet but remains a decent prospect and Sibley is not good enough for this level.
I'd be shocked if Robinson doesn't play again.

Nico87

I'd be shocked if Robinson doesn't play again.
I can’t remember who they was interviewing on sky sports news the other day but it was someone In either an ambassador or board level role who felt they wouldn’t select him again for diplomatic reasons rather than ability.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
fecking hell England :lol:

Nice to see a solid turnout from fans.

Dan_F

Embarrassing all round from the selectors to the team. I hate asking,‘what’s wrong with English cricket?’ But what has gone wrong with English cricket?
The middle order and bowling has been making up for the top order since before Cook retired. That’s been taken out for this series without Buttler and Stokes.

I can’t help but feel like however good that spell from Broad and Anderson was yesterday, a few years ago they’d have taken wickets. Not to mention the standard of fielding has dropped dramatically.

Just checked the scores - 70 odd for 6! Is the pitch that bad?
The pitch is fantastic.

DOTA

I can’t remember who they was interviewing on sky sports news the other day but it was someone In either an ambassador or board level role who felt they wouldn’t select him again for diplomatic reasons rather than ability.
If you set the precedent that anyone caught saying unacceptable shit as a teenager can't ever play for England then you'd be likely to lose quite a lot of the generation coming through. If they knew it would only be Robinson they might sacrifice him but it's unlikely that will be the case.

ha_rooney

Excellent keeping. This could be all over today.

DOTA

Poor series for Root. Along with every bat other than Burns obviously but it's not really a surprise that the rest of them are a bit crap.

Dan_F

The spinner getting Root out really rubs salt into the wounds.

Can you imagine being Anderson, bowling 30 odd overs and coming in to bat about 2 hours later :lol:

JohnnyKills

Robinson will come back when he's done his time. Bracey's only had a couple of games so a bit early for him. A rest might be good for Crawley but who comes in? Agree about Sibley sadly, seems like he has a lot of character but technical flaws are an issue.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Robinson will come back when he's done his time. Bracey's only had a couple of games so a bit early for him. A rest might be good for Crawley but who comes in? Agree about Sibley sadly, seems like he has a lot of character but technical flaws are an issue.
Done his time? :lol:
Is this Shawshank?

BR7

I have to say, the NZ top order batsmen showed incredible concentration and judgement of line, length and swing and left some deliveries that most test batsmen would nibble at. Some of the deliveries they left were just unbelievably close.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Poor series for Root. Along with every bat other than Burns obviously but it's not really a surprise that the rest of them are a bit crap.
As each test goes on I feel more and more we need a new captain so root can just focus on his batting. The problem is feck knows who that would be

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I feel for him in honesty. He's being asked to repair innings more often than not, which fair enough is part of the job of men one and two down, but he's essentially opening some of these latest innings.

As each test goes on I feel more and more we need a new captain so root can just focus on his batting. The problem is feck knows who that would be
Agreed.

ha_rooney

Very impressive by NZ, particularly after making the 6 changes. They’ve got a really nice balance & so many good bowling options, it will be interesting how they line up for the WTC final. I hope they finally can win a final after getting so close in recent years.

Plenty for England to think about. Bowling effort was good but the batting was really poor this game & their attitude with the bat in the last game also disappointed me where they settled for a draw rather than even try for the win at any point in that chase. Batting with fear & no confidence.

Great to have fans back in the ground.

Dan_F

Out of the current squad you could probably make a case for Buttler, who’s batting isn’t as important to England as Roots. But I’m not sure much would be gained from it, and it’s a massive choice to take the captaincy off one of your best players, who is likely to be in the squad for another four or five years.

JohnnyKills

Very impressive by NZ, particularly after making the 6 changes. They’ve got a really nice balance & so many good bowling options, it will be interesting how they line up for the WTC final. I hope they finally can win a final after getting so close in recent years.

Plenty for England to think about. Bowling effort was good but the batting was really poor this game & their attitude with the bat in the last game also disappointed me where they settled for a draw rather than even try for the win at any point in that chase. Batting with fear & no confidence.

Great to have fans back in the ground.
Yeah England's bowling looks stronger now than it did at the start of the series. Robinson and Stone both looked test-class bowlers (although Stone could do with adding another couple of mph) so we've got a really strong group now.

But batting looks a massive issue without Stokes and Buttler (not to mention the likes of Woakes and Curran who've bailed us out plenty of times).

Atherton was chatting about this earlier. He said Root is a class player, Pope and Crawley will become excellent in time but need to make better decisions, Lawrence has talent but Sibley looks technically vulnerable. Agree with all of that tbh.

zing

Zingle balls
NZ have had the best prep going into the match with India, while India have been quarantining inside hotel rooms. Huge advantage going in..

Balljy

Out of the current squad you could probably make a case for Buttler, who’s batting isn’t as important to England as Roots. But I’m not sure much would be gained from it, and it’s a massive choice to take the captaincy off one of your best players, who is likely to be in the squad for another four or five years.
I'd agree with some others on here that Burns is probably the right choice for now even if it's relatively short term. He will be vital in Australia to the extent that if he can't hold an end up for a few hours in most innings I don't think we've got a chance on those pitches and he is used to being a captain. He's not the best player, but with his battling mentality is the only one I can see lasting so will be one of the first on the teamsheet.

It would free Root up to concentrate on batting and then we would be looking for one more batsman to be able to last a while if Root can get his form back. Without changing something now I think Australia could be pretty embarrassing.

BR7

I’d keep root as captain. He’s a top player and has years left. You can’t blame him for the wickets tumbling around him all the time

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
So the Habs made it out of Vegas with a win. I was surprised to see Vegas took no PK's at all for the whole game. That must be a rare occurrence in hockey.

Vegas aren't the scary monster everyone made them out to be.

DOTA

So the Habs made it out of Vegas with a win. I was surprised to see Vegas took no PK's at all for the whole game. That must be a rare occurrence in hockey.

Vegas aren't the scary monster everyone made them out to be.
I have a feeling you might have the wrong thread.

Mcking

Keep saying it but him and Stokes don't fit in the same team and he takes too long to get started.
Unless Stokes is dropped which is unlikely, Malan is the elephant in the the room. His presence alone means:

1. England have to bat arguably their most technically sound batsman as a lower order slogger.

2. Having left-handers exclusively at 5, 6 and 7.

3. Just one spinner in Rashid, with Moeen Ali seemingly out of favour.

I think Stokes can do everything Malan can do at three. He's always been a player that builds his innings with the potential to explode, and he's got a higher ceiling than Malan not to talk of offering another bowling option.

Bat Stokes at three and keep Livingstone as the finisher at 6, and England will have what looks like a fool proof team when everyone is fit.

Roy
Buttler
Stokes
Bairstow
Morgan
Livingstone
Curran
Jordan
Archer
Rashid
Wood

Deep batting, left-right combo across the lineup, leg spin, off spin, pace, a top order anchor if needed, seven bowling options, and each player able to clear the rope.

ChrisNelson

Sri Lanka are dreadful. This isn't even a full strength England!

I'm looking forward to my first live cricket over the next couple of weeks, Trent Bridge on Sunday for day one of Nottinghamshire v Derbyshire then back to Derby the following Sunday for day one of the match against Essex.

Hoping I can also get my hands on some T20 or One Day Cup tickets as well, especially once restrictions are lifted.

Also off to Scarborough for Yorkshire v Surrey in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to that more even though it doesn't involve my team as Scarborough is the centre of the earth for me from kids holidays and my dad was the same, used to go to Scarborough Cricket Festival when he was younger and spent so much time there.

Dan_F

Do England ever lose one day tosses? Just saw a comment on BBC saying Sri Lanka are so bad that Morgan should choose to bat first and at least challenge the team to hit a good score. I kind of agree with that.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Do England ever lose one day tosses? Just saw a comment on BBC saying Sri Lanka are so bad that Morgan should choose to bat first and at least challenge the team to hit a good score. I kind of agree with that.
nah they probably want to make sure the match is done by 5pm