English cricket thread

JohnnyKills

England have gone for the bold selection and brought in Ollie Stone. Well done Root and Silverwood, really like this direction of producing good pitches and picking fast bowlers that will help us overseas.

LDUred

This looks an absolute belter. Presumably Root is backing himself to bowl a bit, but I would have preferred a genuine spin option.

JohnnyKills

Crawley needs a solution to balls just outside off-stump and fast.

I still think he'll have a better test career than Sibley though. Crawley just needs better judgement, Sibley seems to have some technical issues.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Crawley needs a solution to balls just outside off-stump and fast.

I still think he'll have a better test career than Sibley though. Crawley just needs better judgement, Sibley seems to have some technical issues.
I think the solution to the one he got out to today was not to go anywhere near it :lol:

LDUred

Crawley goes after too many big shots early doors. It's probably a sign of inexperience.

Play yourself in and then unfurl your booming drives when you've got a few runs to your name.

BR7

Hick was a nice bloke too tbf, you’d often see him around town (as you do with cricketers) and he was always happy to chat or sign something, which I can imagine can get very annoying.

Also on that subject it reminded me Steve Harmison was a nice bloke too, we ran into him in a club in Worcester when his brother was playing against us and he indulged my mate telling him all about his village cricket bowling figures that year :lol:
Ha, brilliant..

I used to work for a company who sponsored the England cricket team snd once a month a current or old England player would turn up to head office as part of the sponsorship snd sign shirts.

whrn the email would go round a queue would appear well in advance of the player turning up. I saw an email about Devon Malcolm (my favourite English bowler after JA) and his 9 wickets against SA after they mocked his batting is one of the greatest bowling cards from an English bowler including knocking Jonty Rhodes out with a fast one who sadly ended up in hospital with a fit/seizure when he was hit)

I thought wow, I’m getting in there early.The sad fact is I turned up and had Devon Malcolm to myself for an entire hour (I was delighted with it ofcourse as I had an hours chat about that SA innings with him on my own) but I was extremely offended that the youngers were happy to queue up to have Matt (la grande fromage) Prior’s signature but they didn’t know who Devon Malcolm was.

In my first week at the company I was told I’d see a lot if England cricketers snd thought yeah yeah.

I was working away when a colleague told me to look up as JA was walking past my desk. I thought yeah yeah didn’t look up

so my colleague shouted seriously Ive heard you rate him look up. I thought whatever as look up and JA was literally just walking past my desk at the time.I said Jimmy!! He turned round a metre away snd I said you alright? He looked me up snd down with that infamous unimpressed look and said yeah, you? I said yeah nice to see you. He half smiled with that moody face and walked off to the marketing dept.

I remember thinking that’s what every fast bowler should be like, moody....

Stuart Broad snd Swann dressed in a pinstripe, the only ones to do so when they turned up, looking like asses.

Mark Butcher is massively up his own ass which I found out through a work lunch with him, Matt prior and SAC (there was only 7 of us in total at this lunch) and prior wasn’t far away from butcher in arrogance. SAC was a nice guy to be fair.

I’ve heard hick is a really good bloke from a number of people.

JohnnyKills

I don't want to be a nasty keyboard warrior but this is some really poor batting.

Four batsmen out going for a massive drive!

Dan_F

So we’ve gone from the middle order bailing out the top end last summer, to the lower order bailing out everyone in these two tests.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
So we’ve gone from the middle order bailing out the top end last summer, to the lower order bailing out everyone in these two tests.
It’s ridiculous considering in theory the top of the order should be the first choice lineup given it’s the middle to lower order where the chopping and changing happens

Pray Burns continues to perform, I like him

LDUred

Looks like we've finally found an opener, pity he's the wrong side of 30.
Not ideal, but Chris Rogers was 35 when he was picked again and didn't do too badly.

If Burns could firmly establish himself I wouldn't mind him taking the captaincy off Root.

Last edited:

Dan_F

It’s ridiculous considering in theory the top of the order should be the first choice lineup given it’s the middle to lower order where the chopping and changing happens

Pray Burns continues to perform, I like him
Yeah that top four is effectively first choice. I don’t know who else there is behind them as I don’t watch county cricket. Someone needs to step up and play at three, because having someone like Crawley coming in to bat under pressure in almost if his innings doesn’t work.

LDUred

the guy makes a half century and now we see him as a potential captain…
Well, I knew that my post would have read as knee-jerk, especially in light of Burns being in form of late, but I neglected to put that as a preamble. That's my mistake.

To be honest, I simply do not rate Joe Root as a captain, and I never have. I've always found him to be too negative and taken issue with field placings when we've been searching for wickets. Like having only two slips and a gully when literally the only thing you are trying to do is take wickets. There was one time when Kohli was batting way outside his crease to 75 mph bowling and he didn't have the keeper stand up, stuff like that just shows he's not reading the game very well and doesn't have a feel for the game, like Vaughan did.

He's like a poor man's Cook, who himself wasn't brilliant, but clearly better than Root. Also, added to that, Cook didn't let captaincy affect his batting to the extent it has affected Root's. You need Root to be your main run-getter because he will never be anything more than average as a captain.

I champion Burns' cause because he has had experience captaining Surrey since 2018 and done a pretty good job at it. Before being made England captain Root had barely any captaincy background and it really shows at times.

Last edited:

Trequarista10

Potentially a game changing partnership from Wood and Lawrence, hopefully Jimmy can hang in for a while and Lawrence can get 100, every run feels valuable at the moment.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Posting from the upper west stand at edgbaston.

The fact I'm on here tells you all you need to know about today's performance.

Beer snakes/inflatables > the cricket currently.

Dan_F

Posting from the upper west stand at edgbaston.

The fact I'm on here tells you all you need to know about today's performance.

Beer snakes/inflatables > the cricket currently.
Can only imagine how good the atmosphere would be if England managed to get back in this with a few wickets.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
My step son opened the batting with Dan Lawrence at the local cricket club. In fact he was regarded as the better talent! Just shows what application and determination can do

Dan_F

How are NZ managing to avoid getting an edge on these deliveries.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Can only imagine how good the atmosphere would be if England managed to get back in this with a few wickets.
To be fair, the atmosphere was incredible regardless. Lots of laughs, by lunch everyone was basically at tea in regards to beers. I think everyone was making up for lost time really.

Plus Broad bowled incredibly, shame Root and the selectors have messed England around this series. Some very suspect decisions for a series we should be grabbing by the neck.

Nico87

Good fight back since lunch, Crawley and Root need a much better performance with the bat next inning and it could make for an exciting finish. Shame it’s now clashing with the football.

Dan_F

Finally. Probably about the best England could have hoped for, given how yesterday went. Strange game though. Seemed like England batted poorly, fielded poorly, but are somehow in the game…at least until we lose a couple of wickets inside the first 10 overs.

Nico87

It’s got be worth giving the one day openers another shot at this point, at least they’re more likely score high while in for their cameos.

Cloud7

It’s got be worth giving the one day openers another shot at this point, at least they’re more likely score high while in for their cameos.
Bring Roy back in. Let him slug for a few overs and make a quick fire 20-30 :lol: