English cricket thread

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Sri Lanka going nicely here.

EDIT - Bit less nicely now.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Saw a bit of Tom Banton’s knock in the T20 game last night & he was smashing it all over the place. If he plays like that, England are spoilt for choice at the top of the order in limited overs cricket.

Trequarista10

Classy innings from Root. We have a plethora of big hitters but Root's ability to comfortably accumulate makes him a key player in the 50 over side.

DOTA

England and India women's game is live on Youtube.

India made a good start but struggling at 77-3 now.

Trequarista10

Disappointing that England won the toss and decided to bowl. It would inevitably mean a short run chase given how poor this SL batting line up are. With the series in the bag, England should have batted first and tried to rack up a big total - for the players to get some time at the crease, and for the sake of an entertaining game.

paulscholes18

Kent are going well, 19/6 inside 14 overs Anderson has a 5 wicket hull, Crawley poor form continues getting a duck.

Ollie Robinson got a 8 game ban but 5 are suspended for 2 years, so he’s available for selection

Gives a few players an opportunity!

Just shows how quickly these things can happen.

this is one of the highest profile incidents - the Spain friendly is the other one I can think of.

DOTA

Ben Stokes (Durham, captain), Jake Ball (Nottinghamshire), Danny Briggs (Warwickshire), Brydon Carse (Durham), Zak Crawley (Kent), Ben Duckett (Nottinghamshire), Lewis Gregory (Somerset), Tom Helm (Middlesex), Will Jacks (Surrey), Dan Lawrence (Essex), Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire), Dawid Malan (Yorkshire), Craig Overton (Somerset), Matt Parkinson (Lancashire), David Payne (Gloucestershire), Phil Salt (Sussex), John Simpson (Middlesex), James Vince (Hampshire).
There's three there I've never heard of. Should be fun.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
The bowling is probably the main area where England will struggle with that team on the little that I know.

I also don't know enough about Simpson, Carse, Payne or Helm.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Barely recognise that squad to be honest, who will be the keeper? Will Jacks deserves being called up after his recent performances for Surrey. Never heard of John Simpson...

DOTA

Barely recognise that squad to be honest, who will be the keeper? Will Jacks deserves being called up after his recent performances for Surrey. Never heard of John Simpson...
Duckett and Simpson keep. Not sure if there's a third in there.

Lets players know where they stand

If you’re not in this squad then you’re not ever likely to play for England - likes of Hales, Alex Davies at Lancs, Joe Clarke etc

Forget about it. Not even in the b-team

ha_rooney

Will be fun to see how Pakistan prepare for a team of players I doubt they were expecting to be up against. Really good chance to get a series win in the circumstances.

If you’re not in this squad then you’re not ever likely to play for England - likes of Hales, Alex Davies at Lancs, Joe Clarke etc

Hales must be done for good if he can’t get in with this situation.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster

Clarke is self isolating apparently after coming into close contact. In any case he is on trial I think right now, so hardly could get called up!

Hales is either done under Morgan or the latter just doesn't want him around with most senior players unavailable.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Shame for Pakistan and the fans in a way but I’m kind of looking forward to seeing how these players go

DOTA

Will be fun to see how Pakistan prepare for a team of players I doubt they were expecting to be up against. Really good chance to get a series win in the circumstances.

Hales must be done for good if he can’t get in with this situation.
Be a bit worrying if they don't win.

I know people talk about how hard the England team is to get in but it's not so hard that even an entirely new squad is ODI standard.

DOTA

I do think it's the right decision to go ahead. I don't think it would've been if they hadn't had a senior player like Stokes to be involved though. Also, do we have any idea who the coach is? Is Silverwood gonna do it via Zoom?

EDIT - Apparently Silverwood was meant to be taking a break during this series, so he's now doing it. That's fortunate.

Last edited:

ha_rooney

Be a bit worrying if they don't win.

I know people talk about how hard the England team is to get in but it's not so hard that even an entirely new squad is ODI standard.
I’ve come to expect the unexpected from Pakistan’s batting. As capable of scoring 350+ as they are of getting bowled for 100. Fakhar will probably set the tone for which version you’ll get.

ChrisNelson

Surrey have dropped the anchor vs Hampshire 22 from 33 overs with Amla 3 off 78.
My boss has just told me about this, said go and check the Surrey score!

Now 3 from 96, even if you need to bat the day out for a draw that's pretty insane, never seen a strike rate that low before (from a reasonably long innings of course).

paulscholes18

My boss has just told me about this, said go and check the Surrey score!

Now 3 from 96, even if you need to bat the day out for a draw that's pretty insane, never seen a strike rate that low before (from a reasonably long innings of course).
Fair play to him, batted the day out and got the draw (unfortunately)

ha_rooney

Surrey have dropped the anchor vs Hampshire 22 from 33 overs with Amla 3 off 78.
Just seen the scorecard… 37* off 278 balls :lol:

Amla’s one of my favourite players from the past 10 years, some effort to draw that game!

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Brilliant start by Mahmood here
He must be buzzing what a way to make an entrance

I wasn’t expecting much from today and there’s still a long way to go but I’d be happy for some of these players just to give some of the first teamers something to think about and let them know they’re hanging around

ha_rooney

Will be lucky to get 100 at this rate :wenger: