English cricket thread

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
You’d imagine so. 9 wickets in English conditions doesn’t seem too much of a stretch, even if he takes a few off or only plays the first series.
Hopefully. Although if he bowls like he did last summer it may be a stretch. I guess the opposition helps.

IRN-BRUno

The BBC seem a bit unsure whether he will play this summer. I'd say it's pretty much 100% that he will get at least one test to give him a send-off.

James Anderson: England bowler's future in doubt after talks with Brendon McCullum - BBC Sport
He's not the kind of guy who will want to hang around just for a farewell. And apparently is rightly unhappy that this was leaked to the press rather than allowing him to make the announcement. So I could see him saying 'if you don't want me around after this summer I'll go now'.

And I wouldn't blame him for making that decision. Ultimately of course it's up to the coach/captain to decide but he's at least earnt the right to be able to reveal it himself when he feels the time is right. There's no real benefit to releasing this now, it almost feels as though they want to move on right away but don't want to look bad so they're trying to force him to retire before the summer.

zing

Zingle balls
He could've retired with Broad. Broad had a pretty perfect exit.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Fantastic player, hope the weather doesn’t feck up his farewell.

Dan_F

Seems like a strange way of doing it. Getting to be second highest wicket taker in history seems like a pretty big milestone. Surely give him a chance. Also not sure we needed this massive build up for months.

Trequarista10

What will England's bowling attack look like then?

Plenty of options. Potts, Tongue, Cook, Robinson. Plus Wood and Woakes still around. Is there anyone else who may sneak in?

IRN-BRUno

Plenty of options. Potts, Tongue, Cook, Robinson. Plus Wood and Woakes still around. Is there anyone else who may sneak in?
Atkinson will likely get a debut this summer. Stone and Mahmood just coming back from injury as well.

Sam Cook is probably the most interesting one though. His domestic record is incredible and his performances with the Kookaburra ball in the first couple of games were a good sign.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich

I’m still a bit gutted about Broady. I think he had another Ashes in him.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
West Indies are turning up this summer with a better bowling attack than us for the first time since about 1995.

LDUred

Seems a bit strange to be putting him out to pasture when he was probably our best bowler on the last tour, albeit in an 'experimental' attack.

Historically, he's always struggled against the Australians and only at his absolute peak did he fare well against them.

I would have backed him to go well against West Indies and Sri Lanka this summer, and give him the send off at Lords, which is the penultimate test of the summer. Then in the final test you can look towards the future.

This seems like a pretty disrespectful way to treat someone who has taken 700 test wickets.

Last edited:

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Kicking off the fast-bowler injury merry-go-round a little earlier than usual this year, Josh Tongue is out for a good portion of the summer according to BBC. The inability to maintain fitness amongst this group is honestly bewildering and part of the reason Anderson and Broad have gone/went so late into their careers. We may need them in the future!

IRN-BRUno

Stokes bowling 38 overs in the latest Championship round is an encouraging sign.

Some good scores from wicketkeepers recently as well, be interesting to see who gets that spot.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Stokes bowling 38 overs in the latest Championship round is an encouraging sign.

Some good scores from wicketkeepers recently as well, be interesting to see who gets that spot.
The wicket keeper situation is getting very interesting.

England would like to move on from Foakes I reckon, no Asia tour for a while and we wont want him as keeper in the next Ashes.

Bairstow will start with the gloves this summer PROBABLY, but can't have long left.

Then you have Jamie Smith at Surrey very highly rated, but doesn't keep for them. Salt hammering it at the IPL, Ollie Robinson going very well for Durham, and James Rew looking like the future at Somerset.

IRN-BRUno

The wicket keeper situation is getting very interesting.

England would like to move on from Foakes I reckon, no Asia tour for a while and we wont want him as keeper in the next Ashes.

Bairstow will start with the gloves this summer PROBABLY, but can't have long left.

Then you have Jamie Smith at Surrey very highly rated, but doesn't keep for them. Salt hammering it at the IPL, Ollie Robinson going very well for Durham, and James Rew looking like the future at Somerset.
I think they'll move on from Bairstow and Foakes.

Agree with those 4 as the main options. Smith did keep in one of Surrey's matches recently and probably will in the block of T20 before the test series starts so is possibly most likely but you could also see them giving Salt a go if he has a good World Cup.

Rew's glovework has really improved this year but he hasn't had the best season with the bat. There are so many options though, would be great to have that level of competition in other areas.