English cricket thread

LDUred

Woakes with a bit of a 'why not' cameo here.

Last edited:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Cummins will probably end up his career as Australia's top3 pace bowler ever. Ridiculous player.

I wouldn't have burdened him with test captaincy though.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
He is considered too immature for captaincy atm.

Warner would be the best choice but he blew his chances. Smith was average as a captain when he had it, Cummins is a change for Australia as captain but he is the best choice from the rest.

LDUred

All out before tea. Rolled. Total capitulation.

Australia haven't bowled that great and the pitch looks decent.

Oh boy.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Oh boy.
Not sure if that's true. They've bowled all the right lines.

Longshanks

Oh boy.
Not sure thats totally fair. Pitch does look decent but there was definitely a fair bit of seam movement with the new ball when the damage was done. Australia bowled pretty well in fairness, Cummins and Hazelwood in particular were very good. England were pretty poor though and too many failures at the top of the order again when 4 of your top 5 make single digit scores two of them ducks you are always staring down the barrel. Lower order did ok, but can't have players getting in and then getting out like hammeed, pope and butter did. Once your in you have to go on and make a big score.

Suspect Australia will now go on and make a massive first innings score and England will then get bowled out cheaply again as is the pattern of recent Ashes series in Australia. You never know though if England strike some early blows with the new ball and manage to get into Australias batting line up they may able to salvage something.

Cloud7

What are we feeling here lads? <100? <150?
Well I was just about correct. Vital vital runs from Buttler and Woakes. Sitting out there and blocking was just going to get them done in. At least with the 60 odd runs they added, the bowlers have a little more to stop the game getting away from England.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Any chance the rain saves us?
Not sure but I don't think England's chance of winning this game has gone yet. That Australian batting order may come good this time and if so England are screwed but it's certainly not one you'd bet your life on passing 200.

I'd feel better if we'd picked Broad over Leach though.

Fts 74

Depressingly familiar so far.

I'm not sure id criticise them too much for batting first, but the broad decision does seem a strange one.

Hopefully we can get a few quick wickets otherwise it's gonna be tough.

IRN-BRUno

Given the lack of preparation on both teams it would have made sense to bowl first, brave call perhaps but they could hardly have been in a worse position now.

It'll take a miracle to win a game, hopefully the weather does enough somewhere to avoid it ending 5-0.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
This has all the makings of a truly feeble series for England.

They're test side is woeful and - bar Pope - there's very little to look to from the younger players coming through. Could be a grim few years for this side.

croadyman

They're test side is woeful and - bar Pope - there's very little to look to from the younger players coming through. Could be a grim few years for this side.
Doesn't help the ECB only cares about the white ball stuff, test cricket seems to be an after thought since we won World Cup

Utd heap

Models for Coin.

I'm not sure it's quite that bleak youngsters wise but I share the general pessimism.

But we get beat in Aus even with decent sides, and usually 4/5-0.

Earlier start tonight, 11.30pm.

zing

Zingle balls
I'm not sure it's quite that bleak youngsters wise but I share the general pessimism.

But we get beat in Aus even with decent sides, and usually 4/5-0.

Earlier start tonight, 11.30pm.
how do you manage your regular day(work and all that) if you're watching the game through the night?

The matches in Australia start at 5AM for us, so I set an alarm for session 1, and get some sleep in after session 1 ends, then go about my day.

I sometimes do that for the Ashes as well.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
how do you manage your regular day(work and all that) if you're watching the game through the night?

The matches in Australia start at 5AM for us, so I set an alarm for session 1, and get some sleep in after session 1 ends, then go about my day.

I sometimes do that for the Ashes as well.
I've booked the week off!

In previous years, I'd usually do the first hour (until about 1am GMT), and then try and catch the final hour pre work from about 6.30am.

zing

Zingle balls
I've booked the week off!
unfortunately, right now it looks like your batting line-up has done the same

This happened to me for the 36 all out in the first test when India toured. Barely hit the snooze button and half the side was gone. Has happened with some of our openers in the past though where literally I'd snooze, get 10 mins sleep and they'd be gone

Hopefully Australia have a collapse in them this test

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
unfortunately, right now it looks like your batting line-up has done the same

This happened to me for the 36 all out in the first test when India toured. Barely hit the snooze button and half the side was gone. Has happened with some of our openers in the past though where literally I'd snooze, get 10 mins sleep and they'd be gone

Hopefully Australia have a collapse in them this test
It's absolutely zero surprise. I've seen this play out on pretty much every tour of Aus in my life bar one.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Excellent first hour from England but you get the feeling Australia escaping only one down could be huge.

croadyman

Excellent first hour from England but you get the feeling Australia escaping only one down could be huge.
Yeah that Stokes no ball has the gut wrenching feeling of when Leach bowled Smith at Old Trafford in 2019

LDUred

Wood must be hellishly difficult to play.

It's just about getting tighter groupings of deliveries and then making a change to induce an edge. Bumrah is excellent at it.

croadyman

It's just about getting tighter groupings of deliveries and then making a change to induce an edge. Bumrah is excellent at it.
Yeah you always get the feeling England's line will waiver IF they don't take wickets early on in the innings.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao

See Hazlewood and Cummins for how to bowl in Australian condtions.

And also Glenn McGrath in the past.

Line and Legenth, 6 balls an over, keep it tight then just get a little bit of seam to change it up

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
See Hazlewood and Cummins for how to bowl in Australian condtions.

And also Glenn McGrath in the past.

Line and Legenth, 6 balls an over, keep it tight then just get a little bit of seam to change it up
Why haven't England hired you mate?

Just bowl like McGrath.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Yeah 2010/2011 apart it's been constant pain on Aussie soil for the last 30 years. You get the feeling we are getting yet another whitewash
I was at the Melbourne test. Unbelievably lucky.

Anyway this has become absolutely awful.

croadyman

I was at the Melbourne test. Unbelievably lucky.

Anyway this has become absolutely awful.
What I would give for players with proper technique and application again, shame ECB couldn't give a toss about the team anymore