English cricket thread

AshRK

England for all the hype are such a poor test team. And it is strange considering they have good amount of talent in their squad. Maybe white ball cricket is being prioritized and red ball cricket is being sacrificed. Hopefully they bounce back as Test cricket needs a strong English side.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
England for all the hype are such a poor test team. And it is strange considering they have good amount of talent in their squad. Maybe white ball cricket is being prioritized and red ball cricket is being sacrificed. Hopefully they bounce back as Test cricket needs a strong English side.
For all the hype!?

What hype :lol:

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Their ex players and some of their fans in social media make them look like worldbeaters when they have had a poor year in test matches.
Can't say ive seen any of that. If you're talking major figureheads of English Cricket they are going to talk optimistically but 99% of Cricket people I know went into this thinking we were going to get spanked.

LDUred

Bringing Leach on released pressure England had sweated blood to build up.

Would Root have fared worse by bowling himself there? He could just have picked Stuart Broad and bowled a few overs if needed.

The thing is that Jack getting annihilated there was really predictable. You need a wrist spinner or a Graeme Swann or a Monty Panesar bare minimum to operate on Australian pitches. Jack is nowhere near that level.

The errors that Root makes as captain are so basic. Batting first on a green-top, picking Leach, 'Resting' Broad while Australia select FOUR left handers, continuing to bowl Leach when he's getting slaughtered, etc. Would Jos be as bad as this? Would Burns, Stokes?

Last edited:

croadyman

Yeah red ball cricket has been pretty garbage since we became utterly obsessed about winning the World Cup

croadyman

Bringing Leach on released pressure England had sweated blood to build up.

Would Root have fared worse by bowling himself there? He could just have picked Stuart Broad and bowled a few overs if needed.

The thing is that Jack getting annihilated there was really predictable. You need a wrist spinner or a Graeme Swann or a Monty Panesar bare minimum to operate on Australian pitches. Jack is nowhere near that level.

The errors that Root makes as captain are so basic. Batting first on a green-top, picking Leach, 'Resting' Broad, continuing to bowl Leach when he's getting slaughtered, etc. Would Jos be as bad as this? Would Burns, Stokes?
Yeah Root needs to be removed as captain and Silverwood sacked as well. Could also throw in bringing back Strauss as Director too.

LDUred

Oh no. Oh dear God no.

Rory Burns has put down an absolute dolly.

bleedred

Why does Marnus seem to leave balls in a weird way like a tail ender?. seems so odd.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Smith was very very dodgy in this innings.

KM

Hameed panicked there.

LDUred

Robinson takes 2 in 2. Australia rocking on 195-5, roughly 50 runs ahead, with Head and Carey fresh to the crease.

England have a chance here.

croadyman

Robinson takes 2 in 2. Australia rocking on 195-5, roughly 50 runs ahead, with Head and Carey fresh to the crease.

England have a chance here.
Unfortunately we haven't got that ruthlessness to build on those wickets

LDUred

Unfortunately we haven't got that ruthlessness to build on those wickets
So true. Have lost count of the times we've had Australia in a bit of a pickle and then someone like Haddin has come in and puts on 100+ runs, usually in a hurry.

It's a question of attitude and who wants it more. We just bottle it.

KM

Jack Leach has been destroyed today.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Jack Leach has been destroyed today.
Unsurprising. He's a distinctly average at best spinner at international level.

Can't be blamed though - there's no other option who wouldn't get the same treatment, if not worse.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Unsurprising. He's a distinctly average at best spinner at international level.

Can't be blamed though - there's no other option who wouldn't get the same treatment, if not worse.
We could pick Rashid and set one day fields and he'd almost certainly do better than 11 overs for 95. I don't think 11 overs for 55 would massively improve things though, so I'm not really advocating it.

We should've picked Broad, obviously.

IRN-BRUno

As a Somerset fan I'm going to be slightly biased I guess but Leach has been treated terribly by this England setup in the last couple of years. He's someone who needs regular bowling to be at his best and he just hasn't had that for the last 2 seasons, especially as someone who plays barely any white-ball matches.

Since that winter of 19/20 when he got sepsis he just hasn't had enough cricket. He's spent 2 years in England bubbles not getting a game, at the start of the county season like most spinners he barely gets bowled due to conditions. When he finally got released back to Somerset last year he then had to miss the next Championship game for Covid reasons.

Obviously here everyone's in the same position of having no practice but it's been pretty much endless for him for a while now. No doubt he'll be an easy target with those figures but the batting and woeful fielding are bigger issues in this side.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
As a Somerset fan I'm going to be slightly biased I guess but Leach has been treated terribly by this England setup in the last couple of years. He's someone who needs regular bowling to be at his best and he just hasn't had that for the last 2 seasons, especially as someone who plays barely any white-ball matches.

Since that winter of 19/20 when he got sepsis he just hasn't had enough cricket. He's spent 2 years in England bubbles not getting a game, at the start of the county season like most spinners he barely gets bowled due to conditions. When he finally got released back to Somerset last year he then had to miss the next Championship game for Covid reasons.

Obviously here everyone's in the same position of having no practice but it's been pretty much endless for him for a while now. No doubt he'll be an easy target with those figures but the batting and woeful fielding are bigger issues in this side.
Don't agree with everything here, but think these are all fair points to raise. It seems England's test match spinners have certainly had some of the worst of it since the pandemic hit. Think of Moeen at this level too.

Last point is spot on though, particularly regarding the batting. No matter how much we complain about bowling options, they're continuously the ones having to bail our batters out. They're given nothing to work with far too often. Makes the decision to bat first here all the more ridiculous.

TheGame

I think the batting got a bit easier in the afternoon but by that point England were already 5 down. Even Cummins said it was a good toss to lose. Leach was clearly targeted by the Aussies so needs to regain focus. I think England will probably go with 4 seamers for the day/night match anyway.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
The errors that Root makes as captain are so basic. Batting first on a green-top, picking Leach, 'Resting' Broad while Australia select FOUR left handers, continuing to bowl Leach when he's getting slaughtered, etc. Would Jos be as bad as this? Would Burns, Stokes?
Yea, he's a terrible captain. And he doesn't look like he learns from his mistakes either.

bleedred

It's just the third day of the tour and england are already feeling like they don't want to be there.

Declaration cannot come soon enough for England. I half expected Aussies to declare last evening. But this is better strategically, effectively making sure they don't have to bat again.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Quality comment in the Quardian online match thread.

Malan is off the field again. Been off three times in 90 minutes. I think he has the runs. (Uniquely among England players.)

Cloud7

Does England chase this down or are Aus looking at an innings victory here? Predictions?

LDUred

Burns with a great referral but looks so out of nick against Starc.

LDUred

Decent little period of play for England. Root and Malan scoring quite freely as the ball gets older.
102-2.

Last edited:

Cloud7

It’s good to see some fight back from England. I would hate to have to watch a boring 5 test series