English cricket thread

croadyman

It’s something that England can capitulate so easily in red ball cricket but their batting in the limited overs game is so good.
Yeah because the ECB only care about the limited overs game, really sad state of affairs but there you go

LDUred

What a predictable outcome this is. This England side can't bat. They were never going to hold up in Australia. Will be lucky not to get whitewashed.

In England you would probably see some of Australia's frailties too but at home you get the feeling they'll get plenty of runs.
The batting is average at best, but it's the mental fragility that really hampers them. It took one wicket this morning for them to go into a tailspin.

Even with the bowling, they give away the initiative all the time like when they had the Aussies five down (not picking Broad didn't help - another issue).

England have always been a bit flakey since I've watched them in the Atherton era, but there have been times when they've had mental toughness. This is right up there with the direst moments of the nineties.

croadyman

The batting is average at best, but it's the mental fragility that really hampers them. It took one wicket this morning for them to go into a tailspin.

Even with the bowling, they give away the initiative all the time like when they had the Aussies five down (not picking Broad didn't help - another issue).

England have always been a bit flakey since I've watched them in the Atherton era, but there have been times when they've had mental toughness. This is right up there with the direst moments of the nineties.
Yeah how many times have we had them 5-6 down in Oz but then the tail wags due to a Smith/Haddin/Siddle etc

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Lyon with 403 test wickets. Impressive achievement, I hadn’t realised he has taken so many.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I could forgive Malan and Root's dismissals even though they probably ought to have done better, Stokes and Wood too as they got good balls and haven't batted much. What were Pope, Buttler and Woakes thinking though? So many half hearted shots that they get out to. Either smash the fecking cover off it or don't play (in Pope's case no way should he have played at it).

I do think though Buttler should be above Pope in the order with licence to play shots. Counter attacking with players dropping like flies around you is definitely harder. Would take the pressure off Pope a bit too.

LDUred

Yeah how many times have we had them 5-6 down in Oz but then the tail wags due to a Smith/Haddin/Siddle etc
A few crumbs of comfort in that a bruised rib ought to mean no Warner for the second test.

Also, decent performances from Root, Malan, Robinson, and Wood.

croadyman

A few crumbs of comfort in that a bruised rib ought to mean no Warner for the second test.

Also, decent performances from Root, Malan, Robinson, and Wood.
Just wish the first two could have both notched centuries, agree we have found someone in Robinson and Wood's express pace has been missing in Oz for years.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I could forgive Malan and Root's dismissals even though they probably ought to have done better, Stokes and Wood too as they got good balls and haven't batted much. What were Pope, Buttler and Woakes thinking though? So many half hearted shots that they get out to. Either smash the fecking cover off it or don't play (in Pope's case no way should he have played at it).

I do think though Buttler should be above Pope in the order with licence to play shots. Counter attacking with players dropping like flies around you is definitely harder. Would take the pressure off Pope a bit too.
Pope's dismissal ball was actually the best out of the lot. Root went out on an okay ball.

zing

Zingle balls
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/c...ed-course-positive-influence-Gabba-pitch.html

I like Stuart Broad's interviews before/sometimes during the matches where he is having a whine about not being selected.

On this occasion, I think this isn't good reading if you're one of the 4-5 bowlers who were selected in the 11. "I could've had a positive impact".. I think he can still write saying he wants to play, but he shouldn't make any implicit judgments about the 11 -- they're all part of the same squad trying to win and this won't read well if you're one of the other team members.

LDUred

Pat Cummins ruled out of the second test after being nearby someone who later tested positive for COVID. This happened in a restaurant.

As it happens, Cummins did not breach any bio-security protocols, tested negative following a PCR test, and is fully vaccinated.

Steve Smith deputises as captain in in his absence and Michael Neser is added to the bowling attack.

Neser and Jhye Richardson are both quality replacements from what I've seen of them, so not expecting any let up.

Last edited:

LDUred

Decent wheels from Broad. Up around 140.

Harris reprieved on DRS. Pitch looks bouncy for an Adelaide track.

Edit: Broad dismisses Harris gloved behind to Buttler, who takes an excellent diving catch. 4-1

Last edited:

croadyman

Just hope England don't pay the price for burning those reviews so early in the innings

KM

England have bowled quite well snce morning but a bit short IMO. Broad has been their best bowler by a mile.

LDUred

Broad's return is welcome, but his time-honoured capacity for blowing reviews is less so.

He is like one of those luckless gamblers in corny movies - never learns.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Slow stuff so far. Does Warner often reign it in to 2 an over these days?

LDUred

Warner motoring along now and looking in good nick. Not much happening for the bowlers.

Looks like a great bat first wicket that may turn later. England got it wrong, as always.

Last edited:

Evans999

One dimensional bowling attack, right arm fast medium. This is going to be a big score

Dan_F

England haven’t been great but they’re worth a few wickets more than they’ve got. It does feel like they’ve only got themselves to blame though.

KM

Joe Root has looked threatening on this pitch but yeah it’s all one paced by England.

LDUred

England select their frontline spinner on a bouncy green top, and then let him sit out the one where there's turn for Root on day one.

Chris Silverwood, ladies and gents.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
England select their frontline spinner on a bouncy green top, and then let him sit out the one where there's turn for Root on day one.

Chris Silverwood, ladies and gents.
He needs shifting on - been nothing but under-performance ever since he took over in any series/competition really worth a damn.

KM

What did they get wrong?
I think they've been a tad short to be honest but besides Buttler's drop chance(which would've been a wonder catch had he taken) there's nothing else England could have done on field. I'm not a fan of going without a spinner btw.

Aussies has 4 lefties in top 7, surely an offspinner should have been played rather than depending upon Root.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
The way Anderson can hold down an end and not leak runs even if he's not in the wickets is phenomenal

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I think they've been a tad short to be honest but besides Buttler's drop chance(which would've been a wonder catch had he taken) there's nothing else England could have done on field. I'm not a fan of going without a spinner btw.

Aussies has 4 lefties in top 7, surely an offspinner should have been played rather than depending upon Root.
Thanks but from that other persons post, it suggested that they got the toss decision wrong (but Aus won?).

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
What do England do here? They look shot of ideas and their bowlers look like they've done days in the field rather than a little over 2 sessions.

Edit - let Warner get himself out it seems :lol:

Aint gota Kalou

Root bowling all these overs in the first innings sums it up. We needed to back Leach to have any chance in this series.