English cricket thread

Dan_F

I’ve watched this shite since 5am and now I have to go into a meeting when it might get interesting.

TheGame

England select their frontline spinner on a bouncy green top, and then let him sit out the one where there's turn for Root on day one.

Chris Silverwood, ladies and gents.
Exactly this, utterly bizarre selection process. It's a hot forecast, so pitch will break up. Root already showing spin will be a factor. England have 5 seamers bowling the same pace.

IRN-BRUno

7 dropped catches already in this series. The batting is clearly the biggest issue for England but fielding has been a massive problem for years as well. Maybe not so much at home where you'd expect to create more chances but in these conditions you just can't afford to drop so many.

Expecting Aus to end up 600-4 tomorrow before declaring just in time for England to end up 40-6 under the lights

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Buttler with 2 massive drops. Take both of them and you would say England would have had the better day.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Buttler with 2 massive drops. Take both of them and you would say England would have had the better day.
I'm not sure how this works when they were the same batsman but they certainly were both really bad.
Expecting Aus to end up 600-4 tomorrow before declaring just in time for England to end up 40-6 under the lights
Can't quite see them managing to score that fast.

LDUred

That second drop sums this England side up perfectly: even when they get into a good position they will find a way of stuffing it up.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
That second catch sums this England side up perfectly. Even when they get into a good position they will find a way of stuffing it up.

This side is so wretched I think it might be worse than the very nadir of Athers-era England.
Nah, despite the glaring holes (openers, spinners) there is still some elite level talent in there. It's as much down to the management and captaincy than anything. Not saying this side could compete with the best in test cricket, but they should be putting up much more than this.

IRN-BRUno

Can't quite see them managing to score that fast.
Possibly not. Should be easier to score tomorrow though given the forecast is for the temperature to nearly be at 40, bowlers are going to tire pretty quickly if they don't make an early breakthrough.

LDUred

Nah, despite the glaring holes (openers, spinners) there is still some elite level talent in there. It's as much down to the management and captaincy than anything. Not saying this side could compete with the best in test cricket, but they should be putting up much more than this.
Agree with all that.

There has been some monumentally bad luck: England had unearthed a gem in Archer but he's injury-prone, as is Stone, Mills, etc.

All sides have injuries to cope with but England have fared pretty badly with them.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
We are playing out the same series as we do every single time down there, it's almost impressive. We've all seen the script before.

DOTA

Agree with all that.

There has been some monumentally bad luck: England had unearthed a gem in Archer but he's injury-prone, as is Stone, Mills, etc.

All sides have injuries to cope with but England have fared pretty badly with them.
With Archer there's a case to be made (and certainly very often is) that it's our fault though.

DOTA

We are playing out the same series as we do every single time down there, it's almost impressive. We've all seen the script before.
The sleep deprivation required to follow them, combined with the trauma, mean I can barely remember what happens in away Ashes series. I recommend it.

zing

Zingle balls
why do England talk like they're throwing away every other series to prioritise the Ashes, then turn up at the Ashes and do this

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Quite a good days play if you are Aussie.

Batting seemed to be hard at times but once you got in runs would flow, Need Loose Bus Change and Smudge to get big 100s and hopefully declare around sunset.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
why do England talk like they're throwing away every other series to prioritise the Ashes, then turn up at the Ashes and do this
It is fascinating.

We've spent about three years ignoring all our spinners then turned up in Brisbane on a green wicket and said to Leach 'go on - rip it past Warner and Smith mate'.

Then Adelaide looks flat, but will dry out - play 5 quicks who all bowl 80-85mph.

Anyway 5am alarm tomorrow :)

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Quite a good days play if you are Aussie.

Batting seemed to be hard at times but once you got in runs would flow, Need Loose Bus Change and Smudge to get big 100s and hopefully declare around sunset.
This has Australia 450-500 plays England posting 200-250 all over it.

Fully Fledged

This has Australia 450-500 plays England posting 200-250 all over it.
Not only does the match have Australia scoring 500 while England respond 250 written all over it but the series has 5-0 written all over it. We have no clue how to play test cricket anymore.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Another dismissal of a no-ball. Wow England :lol:

LDUred

Australia having a bit of a wobble here. 294-5.

Smart bowling from Stokes.

croadyman

Not only does the match have Australia scoring 500 while England respond 250 written all over it but the series has 5-0 written all over it. We have no clue how to play test cricket anymore.
Doesn't help the ECB couldn't give a shit

croadyman

Australia having a bit of a wobble here. 294-5.

Smart bowling from Stokes.
The problem is Labuschagne should have gone for 21, however Joss couldn't replicate his brilliant catch of Harris. These are costly runs and negate the losses of Hazlewood & Cummins.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
The minimum required by England in the first session. If we can limit them to sub 400 and not collapse under lights then the games back on.

LDUred

The problem is Labuschagne should have gone for 21, however Joss couldn't replicate his brilliant catch of Harris. These are costly runs and negate the losses of Hazlewood & Cummins.
There's a lot of effort going in there but you can't help thinking that this side is poorly managed.

The amount of no-balls is criminal, as is the fielding. Basic stuff that's costing the game.

croadyman

There's a lot of effort going in there but you can't help thinking that this side is poorly managed.

The amount of no-balls is criminal, as is the fielding. Basic stuff that's costing the game.
Yeah badly need a new coach and controversial as it is a new captain too

DOTA

That's not controversial just lack of options.
Yeah, there's basically two options and one probably doesn't need more on their plate after recently having to take time out for their mental health and the other has never really nailed down their position, with a lot of calls for them to be replaced after this match due to the dropped catches.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Following the usual pattern this day now.

Mini England fightback earlier, expect Australia to pile on 100+ then knock a few over in the dark

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Is Ben Foakes injured right now?