English cricket thread

LDUred

Michael Neser what a dayboo.

Sheesh that lightning. Play suspended.

Aint gota Kalou

I can criticise our bowling selection but there's not a lot we can do with our batters. Barring Root, Stoke and sometimes Malan, they're all rubbish and so are their replacements.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Not as bad a day as I feared (though the weather cutting the overs we had to face under lights helped a lot there).

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Pope isn’t rubbish. The depth in batting is a serious problem though. Buttler is also very inconsistent at Test level.
Maybe not in terms of talent but his record for a middle order player is.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
England are going to need something special to get out of this mess.

miked99

I don't follow cricket apart from the Ashes, but one thing I have noticed is that Rory Burns appears to be absolutely shite. Every time I see him bat I wonder if he's gonna even make it to double figures. How is he in the team? Is there literally no-one else?

TheGame

I don't follow cricket apart from the Ashes, but one thing I have noticed is that Rory Burns appears to be absolutely shite. Every time I see him bat I wonder if he's gonna even make it to double figures. How is he in the team? Is there literally no-one else?
He is not shite. The guy has scored over 1000 runs per year in first class cricket for 5 years straight. His technique is a bit strange and Starc has his number here. We are of course struggling for openers as well.

IRN-BRUno

I'm not sure what they expect from Woakes, he's played 16 tests overseas and averages 52.64 with the ball. We know that he's partly in the side for his batting but outside of England that doesn't really add up either, he has a top score of 52 in 27 innings averaging 18.96

Basically it's pointless playing him away from home because he offers very little in any area.

AshRK

Its not as simple as that though, is it. Anderson bowled well and his figures were excellent. Woakes did not bowl well. Broad was hit and miss.
Still the planning has been absurd. Yes can't fault Anderson or Broad for that but as a neutral fan I kept on hearing how Ashes is the priority for team england this year, yet I don't see much from them.

Again they can bounce back and surprise everyone but at this moment it seems we are going to witness a 5-0 thrashing.

TheGame

Still the planning has been absurd. Yes can't fault Anderson or Broad for that but as a neutral fan I kept on hearing how Ashes is the priority for team england this year, yet I don't see much from them.

Again they can bounce back and surprise everyone but at this moment it seems we are going to witness a 5-0 thrashing.
How would you have planned differently? We had a pandemic involving quarantine and the t20 World Cup. The warm up matches were washed out. In respect of players, there is a real struggle for quality bstamen at the moment plus you have fast bowlers like Archer and Stone out injured.

That doesn’t take away from the selections for both matches which have been abysmal.

TheGame

I'm not sure what they expect from Woakes, he's played 16 tests overseas and averages 52.64 with the ball. We know that he's partly in the side for his batting but outside of England that doesn't really add up either, he has a top score of 52 in 27 innings averaging 18.96

Basically it's pointless playing him away from home because he offers very little in any area.
Yep should not be in for his batting. If your top 7 can’t score, then no point in picking an 8 just for batting. He may have been right for first test but not for this one. Should have been Wood. Mahmood is also an option.

Balljy

Its not as simple as that though, is it. Anderson bowled well and his figures were excellent. Woakes did not bowl well. Broad was hit and miss.
I'm not sure why we were expecting medium pacers to do well in Australia when they haven't really in 30 years though. Thinking a 39 year old Anderson would do it this time when his record in Australia is below OK is not a great plan.

If the ashes really is what we were preparing for we should have been trying the likes of Mahmood out in the summer as a lot of people said at the time. This bowling attack was never going to cut it in Australia.

TheGame

I'm not sure why we were expecting medium pacers to do well in Australia when they haven't really in 30 years though. Thinking a 39 year old Anderson would do it this time when his record in Australia is below OK is not a great plan.

If the ashes really is what we were preparing for we should have been trying the likes of Mahmood out in the summer as a lot of people said at the time. This bowling attack was never going to cut it in Australia.
Anderson alongside other pacemen is fine. Obviously Archer and Stone are a big loss but yeah Mahmood should have been given games before.

Longshanks

Its like they planned the first two tests around being able to deploy Anderson and Broad with the pink ball under lights for 10-15 overs if there lucky in this test and then just winged it for the other 885 overs.

Dont understand why woakes is getting picked over Overton who has a very good action for Australia and is a handy batsmen and Woakes's oversees record is pretty poor. Unless the ball is swinging and seaming you can't pick both broad and Anderson in the same side anymore, really missed woods extra pace.

Not dead in the water yet but gonna take some excellent batting to get us out of this mess.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Its like they planned the first two tests around being able to deploy Anderson and Broad with the pink ball under lights for 10-15 overs if there lucky in this test and then just winged it for the other 885 overs.
:lol: Well said.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
It was feckin over 35c today, when the England team management were looking at the weather forecast which dick head thought it a good idea to not play a spinner in Adelaide, yet play one at the Gabba? How long have they been planning for this tour?!?! Get rid..

LDUred

England take the first session. 140-2 at dinner as Root and Malan walk off with unbeaten fifties.

A few close shouts here and there but no more than you would expect in a test match.

Needless to say, Australia look like a bowling attack missing two world class bowlers.

Last edited:

Dan_F

I just know if I put it on then England will lose wickets, so you can all blame me in about half hour when we’re five down.

Dan_F

Pathetic. I didn’t even get to 10 balls before a wicket. Root looked all over the place before then too.