English cricket thread

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
England having to start their innings under light today is worst case scenario for them, their top 3 is weak as it is.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
England having to start their innings under light today is worst case scenario for them, their top 3 is weak as it is.
Starc bowls well in patches now and the other two are very new. Think the playing under light thing is quite overplayed these days.

Although I rate Jhye Richardson highly.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Starc bowls well in patches now and the other two are very new. Think the playing under light thing is quite overplayed these days.

Although I rate Jhye Richardson highly.
I don't. Ball was doing all sorts last night.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
England have spent 3 years planning for this tour yet can’t even get the selection right for the first 2 tests. And it’s not as if England don’t have talent, they have bags of talented batsman who never get selected for test cricket. Not selecting Livingston for example for these conditions is a travesty. Silverwood and the team management need to be fired after this debacle. Heading for a 5-0 thumping again unfortunately..

DOTA

As I said it's feck all difference. Hype for nothing.
Interesting but it's still much harder to face the new ball when you're struggling to see it.

DOTA

Don't think that was out, really, but I'll take it. Can't stand watching Smith bat.

Dan_F

England are so frustrating. It really should be 300 odd all out and starting their reply at lunch time. I’m not even sure I will watch us start the batting, it’s going to be painful.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
England are so frustrating. It really should be 300 odd all out and starting their reply at lunch time. I’m not even sure I will watch us start the batting, it’s going to be painful.
It's going to be the equivalent of trying to hold onto a 1-1 at Anfield or City with 10 men.

ChrisNelson

As an England fan I'm already bored of this match, as we are out of it already inside 2 days!

I fully expect, if we bat tonight (which if I was Smith I would make us) that we'll lose at least a couple of wickets under the lights and be all out by lunch tomorrow.

The lack of prep, care and attention that goes in to English test cricket these days is shocking and we are now paying the price.

LDUred

Harrowing end to the Australian innings for England. Runs aplenty for the tail.

Aussies declare 473-9.

Last edited:

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Need to drop Woakes for the next one. Bring Wood back. England need to show some fight with the bat here.
25 overs?

Both openers will go. Maybe a Root and Malan block sees us scrape 60-2 at close. 59-4 also no surprise.

200ish all out tomorrow.

TheGame

25 overs?

Both openers will go. Maybe a Root and Malan block sees us scrape 60-2 at close. 59-4 also no surprise.

200ish all out tomorrow.
Well they need to show something. The bowling apart from Woakes hasn’t been too bad overall. The batting was good. But the bowling at the end was poor. It’s a 5 match series so no point whinging and whining about them coming home. Time to show some fight.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Well they need to show something. The bowling apart from Woakes hasn’t been too bad overall. The batting was good. But the bowling at the end was poor.
The bowling is fecking horrific. Wrong selections, to short, no spinner, no plans.

TheGame

The bowling is fecking horrific. Wrong selections, to short, no spinner, no plans.
No it wasn’t. The run rate was down but the batting was good. At times the plans were wrong but overall it was good. Anderson and Robinson were impressive. Wood should have played and yes Leach should have played here instead of the Gabba. The pitch is good if you can get in.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
No it wasn’t. The run rate was down but the batting was good. At times the plans were wrong but overall it was good. Anderson and Robinson were impressive. Wood should have played and yes Leach should have played here instead of the Gabba. The pitch is good if you can get in.
I felt England bowled too short at times.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
You were watching a different innings to me.

Robinson was 'ok' but is far to slow to scare anyone without it moving sideways. Jimmy was bang average by his standards and took his first wicket in the 130th over!

Yeh we kept it tight for a while, but I saw that as a negative. We had to pitch it up day one to hunt for wickets but we bottled it to 'contain them'

TheGame

You were watching a different innings to me.

Robinson was 'ok' but is far to slow to scare anyone without it moving sideways. Jimmy was bang average by his standards and took his first wicket in the 130th over!

Yeh we kept it tight for a while, but I saw that as a negative. We had to pitch it up day one to hunt for wickets but we bottled it to 'contain them'
The problem was we had 5 right arm medium fast pacers. No variety. Should have had Wood and Leach in this side and 4 seamers in the first test.

Starc has got Burns’ number.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Yeah agree with that. There were times where they went with the wrong option and the lack of variety was costly.
Then I agree with you also then? Haha.

Burns won't get a run on this tour. Heads gone.

LDUred

Burns gone. Squared up as per usual.

At what point does Chris Silverwood realize his technique is substandard.

TheGame

Aussies already showing pitching it up with pace makes it swing. Wood would have been great here. Richardson looks determined. Will be easier to bat in the day with an older ball but England need to get to that point. Also Lyon will be dangerous as well.

zing

Zingle balls
This should be Burns' last test..

His average is going downwards as well - so that seems to be his level

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
This should be Burns' last test..

His average is going downwards as well - so that seems to be his level
Crawley and Bairstow will come in (assuming Jos also doesn't get big runs).

Be interesting to see who opens. Probably Crawley. His technique struggles with it nibbling in England but it might suit him in Melbourne.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
The commentator saying Root coming to the crease now is a big moment in the series.

Give over. This isn't a series, it's a procession. Total non-event.