English cricket thread

zing

Zingle balls
I guess ECB will pay him enough to stay away from the IPL for a few seasons

slyadams

This will not end well. Not only will we not have a well performing captain, it'll ruin our best player.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Stokes is an overrated T20 player but he’s Ben Stokes so he will still have a role to play in the England T20 side. Given the length of the IPL these days I think he will sack that off for while.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
He doesn’t get into the best England T20 team for me so he can sack that off easily.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Stokes on fire for Durham at the minute. Just brought his century up off 64 balls.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
So it’s been confirmed that Stokes will be moving back to the number 6 position and Root to the number 4 for the series for NZ in June.

What do we think the line up will be then for the first test? Here’s mine.

Lees
Haines
Bohannon
Root
Brook
Stokes
Bairstow
Woakes
Robinson
Leach/Parkinson
Anderson

Cloud7

So it’s been confirmed that Stokes will be moving back to the number 6 position and Root to the number 4 for the series for NZ in June.

Lees
Haines
Bohannon
Root
Brook
Stokes
Bairstow
Woakes
Robinson
Leach/Parkinson
Anderson
Surely Broad will be back as well? Stokes talked about including both of them in the team once they're available

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Surely Broad will be back as well? Stokes talked about including both of them in the team once they're available
My thinking was that only one of them would play per test and the other would sit out, considering it’s only a 3 match series there is every possibility that they will play together.

Cloud7

My thinking was that only one of them would play per test and the other would sit out, considering it’s only a 3 match series there is every possibility that they will play together.
That would make sense, but considering the big hurrah about them being rotated during the Ashes then dropped entirely for the WI series, I think they will probably play them together, at least in the first match, to sort of....appease them I guess? Not sure if that is the right word.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy

Lees
Haines
Bohannon
Root
Brook
Stokes
Bairstow
Woakes
Robinson
Leach/Parkinson
Anderson
I'd be pretty surprised if Bohannan isn't there but I think Haines would be very fortunate to be involved and Brook I'd rather leave be for now (he'd be ready for the 20/20 side if we find ourselves unusually short of batsmen mind).

arnie_ni

A guy called Cook just scored a century in bith innings. England should look at him to open, might be a good shout

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'd be pretty surprised if Bohannan isn't there but I think Haines would be very fortunate to be involved and Brook I'd rather leave be for now (he'd be ready for the 20/20 side if we find ourselves unusually short of batsmen mind).
Brook has had a great start to the CC and if anything he should focus his game in that format as he has potential and we badly need new blood in the team.

Yeah it might be a season to early for Haines even though he did score a double century the other week. Can see Lees being number 1 and god knows who we will pick to open with him.

Trequarista10

Lees
Crawley
Bohannon
Root
Pope
Stokes
Bairstow
Woakes/Robinson
Broad/Robinson
Anderson
Leach/Parkinson

A few waiting in the wings like Haines and Brook but I think it may be a bit early, and there will be further chances given to the openers currently in the team. Brooks CC form is insane though and it's possible he'll be picked for this, but Pope's CC average of the past few years is remarkable and England won't be giving up on him anytime soon.

Bit harsh on Foakes, but Bairstow isn't great at 5 and is a capable enough keeper. Can't see England dropping him, get the impression he's close with Stokes, experienced, good winter recently for him.

I think the old guard of Woakes, Broad and Anderson will start, with Robinson first backup and will replace one of them before long. If Robinson works on his fitness and physique a bit then he'd be the first pick on the team sheet for me. I'm biased but I'd also like to see C.Overton get a few tests at home this summer. Most of his caps have been away from home but he really is much more suited to home conditions, his CC average demonstrates that.

Don't really care about the spinner. Tbh would prefer a spinner who can bat at 8, because their role is generally limited with the ball in home tests. Patterson-White is one for the future, and Dom Bess is still on the mix, but they need a good couple years of form in the CC to prove themselves.

IRN-BRUno

Saw it suggested somewhere that Stokes regards the vice-captaincy role as an important one. If that's the case Buttler might end up being recalled.

And now that Key is involved I don't see Crawley being dropped at the moment despite his poor start to the season.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Saw it suggested somewhere that Stokes regards the vice-captaincy role as an important one. If that's the case Buttler might end up being recalled.

And now that Key is involved I don't see Crawley being dropped at the moment despite his poor start to the season.
Would be bullshit if Butler is recalled considering his lack of games in red ball cricket in the domestic format in the past couple of years.

phelans shorts

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...-favourite-to-become-englands-test-head-coach

McCullum is coaching Kolkata Knightriders in the Indian Premier League but Key has said previously he is open to England’s head coach having a second job in the world’s most lucrative T20 tournament if it secures the right candidate.

T
his can't be right given English home summer and IPL being at the same time?
White ball coach would make far more sense, especially since McCullum essentially laid the foundation for England’s current white ball side but if they’re taking a lot of the selection away from the coach after the Silverwood farce then it could work. My guess would be they’ve got crossed wires somewhere and McCullum is up for the white ball role and somebody has misheard.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
White ball coach would make far more sense, especially since McCullum essentially laid the foundation for England’s current white ball side but if they’re taking a lot of the selection away from the coach after the Silverwood farce then it could work. My guess would be they’ve got crossed wires somewhere and McCullum is up for the white ball role and somebody has misheard.
Sounds plausible enough. Although it would be interesting to see how McCullum went about coaching a red ball side, he was so well respected as a captain and so aggressive in style. Would probably be fun even if not a success.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
If Brendon McCullum (otherwise known as 'Baz') is England's new red ball coach, Gary Kirsten must surely regret speaking openly about being England coach before Chris Silverwood was sacked.

zing

Zingle balls
Sounds plausible enough. Although it would be interesting to see how McCullum went about coaching a red ball side, he was so well respected as a captain and so aggressive in style. Would probably be fun even if not a success.
He was a very good test captain, but at KKR where he's coaching he seems a bit limited. Expected he'd do really well

paulscholes18

Expecting Alex Lees to charge Trent Boult 1st ball and smash it back over his head for 6, if not then I will be disappointed in Brendon McCullum.

IRN-BRUno

BBC reporting it's a done deal and could be announced by the end of the week.

Would have preferred someone with more experience for the Test side but good luck to him.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think it's good we're taking a gamble in a way. We need a bit of a shake up in approach and New Zealand always punch well above their weight on the world stage so let's see what perspective he brings. If we give him a year or two to see if there's improvement then it doesn't stop us appointing a more experienced coach in future.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
According to the Guardian, Matthew Mott, current head coach of Australia's Women's team, could be head coach of England's white ball team.

Last edited:

TheGame

Lees
Haines
Bohannon
Root
Brook
Stokes
Bairstow
Woakes
Robinson
Leach/Parkinson
Anderson
In light of the positional announcements, I would go with:

Burns
Lees
Bohannon
Root
Brook
Stokes
Bairstow
Woakes/Broad/Mahmood
Robinson
Anderson
Parkinson

Burns is still a decent opener and hit a century the other day. Think its still early for Haines.. Also torn in the bowling with maybe a pace option like Mahmood but Woakes usually does well in home conditions and offers something with the bat. I would have liked to have played Pope at 5 with Root at 3 but doesn't look like that will happen so not sure where Pope will fit in unless he plays over Brook. Parkinson has to play over Leach.

phelans shorts

According to the Guardian, Matthew Mott, current head coach of Australia's Women's team, could be head coach of England's white ball team.
I’m a big fan of this move I can’t lie. He’s coaching what is in essence the best limited overs team in the world with Australia so he’s potentially a massive get.

phelans shorts

In light of the positional announcements, I would go with:

Burns
Lees
Bohannon
Root
Brook
Stokes
Bairstow
Woakes/Broad/Mahmood
Robinson
Anderson
Parkinson

Burns is still a decent opener and hit a century the other day. Think its still early for Haines.. Also torn in the bowling with maybe a pace option like Mahmood but Woakes usually does well in home conditions and offers something with the bat. I would have liked to have played Pope at 5 with Root at 3 but doesn't look like that will happen so not sure where Pope will fit in unless he plays over Brook. Parkinson has to play over Leach.
A side with Rob Key involved in selection without Zak Crawley? More chance that he’s crowbarred in to bowl first change

paulscholes18

Harry Brook has so far thrown his hat in to the ring for a call up averaging 158 from 6 innings

Balljy

I'm surprised it's not been mentioned here yet, but Graham Thorpe is seriously ill in hospital with an "unclear" prognosis.

He was a player I loved to watch and at times he did the Root job for England being the only batsman scoring when everyone else was falling around him. Ended with a decent average of 44, which I felt could be higher before Pietersen took his position.

Graham Thorpe: Former England batter 'seriously ill' in hospital - BBC Sport

JohnnyKills

Anyone trying to watch the Yorkshire-Lancashire stream?

Yorkshire are a joke at all levels right now.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Keaton Jennings currently unbeaten on 202 against Yorkshire, his last innings before this was a century against Warwickshire.

He's 29 now. Could well get his way back in, I think, as poor as his England career is to date.

EDIT - Stokes should know him better than most from his Durham days.

phelans shorts

Only just noticed the start Sam Curran has made to the season, he’s surely going to be in the squad for New Zealand on that form. He’s a very handy bowler to have around rather than the samey 80mph right handers too on top of his batting.

JohnnyKills

Only just noticed the start Sam Curran has made to the season, he’s surely going to be in the squad for New Zealand on that form. He’s a very handy bowler to have around rather than the samey 80mph right handers too on top of his batting.
He's not bowling at the moment unfortunately. Injured.

But I agree, his batting will take over his bowling before too long. Seems the ideal man to come in at 5/6 and bowl some bonus overs.