English cricket thread

JohnnyKills

Thoughts on the England team?

I'd love them to give Buttler one more chance - seems like this setup is perfect for him. Plus he's in the form of his life.

On the bowling front, I personally wouldn't recall Broad or Anderson but seems inevitable they will do, so that being the case I'd play one of them, stick with Mahmood and throw in a wildcard with a bit of pace (no idea who that is btw!)

Something like this.

Crawley
Young opener (Hameed? Lanmonby?)
Pope
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Buttler
Young bowler
Leach
Mahmood
Broad/Anderson

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Thoughts on the England team?

I'd love them to give Buttler one more chance - seems like this setup is perfect for him. Plus he's in the form of his life.

On the bowling front, I personally wouldn't recall Broad or Anderson but seems inevitable they will do, so that being the case I'd play one of them, stick with Mahmood and throw in a wildcard with a bit of pace (no idea who that is btw!)

Something like this.

Crawley
Young opener (Hameed? Lanmonby?)
Pope
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Buttler
Young bowler
Leach
Mahmood
Broad/Anderson
I disagree with almost everything you've said there. I also don't really get why you say you wouldn't recall Broad or Anderson but then put them in your team?

For me, Butter has had far too many chances, his technique isn't good enough for Tests. Get a keeper in who can keep, get batsmen in who can bat. If you happen to find someone who can do both then well done to you. I wouldn't mind Foakes keeping the gloves or just try someone new - Jordan Cox perhaps?

If we want to go super attacking I'd rather just try and open with Root, Malan, Duckett or Brook or someone. At least it wouldn't be rehashing the same old shit that doesn't work for us. I'd also like to see Parkinson get his chance. Much as I like Leach, he showed yet again in the Caribbean that he's not a guy who can bowl a team out on a dry pitch. He's more of a 2nd spinner, and with the way our batsmen are I don't think we can afford the luxury of a 2nd spinner.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Apologies if I've already said this, can't be arsed to read back to check, but there was a bit just after appointment where Stokes was talking about wanting 'selfless cricketers' which I very much took as him saying he wants Buttler back.

They both play pretty similarly, I think. Enjoy whacking it but have good records batting for draws on day five.

JohnnyKills

I disagree with almost everything you've said there. I also don't really get why you say you wouldn't recall Broad or Anderson but then put them in your team?

For me, Butter has had far too many chances, his technique isn't good enough for Tests. Get a keeper in who can keep, get batsmen in who can bat. If you happen to find someone who can do both then well done to you. I wouldn't mind Foakes keeping the gloves or just try someone new - Jordan Cox perhaps?

If we want to go super attacking I'd rather just try and open with Root, Malan, Duckett or Brook or someone. At least it wouldn't be rehashing the same old shit that doesn't work for us. I'd also like to see Parkinson get his chance. Much as I like Leach, he showed yet again in the Caribbean that he's not a guy who can bowl a team out on a dry pitch. He's more of a 2nd spinner, and with the way our batsmen are I don't think we can afford the luxury of a 2nd spinner.
:lol:
Alright well done.

As I said, it's inevitable Broad and Anderson are coming back. If it was up to me neither of them would but the high-ups at the ECB clearly think otherwise.

Buttler's technique seemed fine when he batted for about four hours in Adelaide. Plus his job would (should) be to attack, not defend.

Also, your quibbling with Buttler's technique but want to keep Foakes, who's been even more fallible at test level, and want to promote middle-order batsmen to open? Can't see the logic there.

Agree that Parkinson is the best spinner in county cricket but he can't bat or field and until that changes we're going to look really unbalanced with him in the team.

JohnnyKills

Apologies if I've already said this, can't be arsed to read back to check, but there was a bit just after appointment where Stokes was talking about wanting 'selfless cricketers' which I very much took as him saying he wants Buttler back.

They both play pretty similarly, I think. Enjoy whacking it but have good records batting for draws on day five.
Yeah.

I'd give Buttler one more go this summer. If he can't do it in this environment, he never will.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Exciting this. Very much a left-field appointment but clearly an excellent cricket brain.

However his England team turn out, they won't be boring.
His first task will be to put some resilience into England's batting. Batting collapses have plagued England for a long time now. On at least two occasions they looked like your batsmen threw in the towel with the bat in the Ashes.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
His first task will be to put some resilience into England's batting. Batting collapses have plagued England for a long time now. On at least two occasions they looked like your batsmen threw in the towel with the bat in the Ashes.
That will take time. First task will be to get the fielding up to scratch. Fielding, selection, decisions at the toss and reviews are all low hanging fruit that McCullum can improve immediately and will make a big impact to the team.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
England quietly have a bit of an injury crisis with the pacers.

Wood, Archer, Stone, Woakes, Fisher are all injured.

Mahmood is not playing this round of fixtures.

Curran is bowling but very lightly and Robinson only bowled one over in the first innings of his match.

This leaves Broad, Anderson and C.Overton as the only definitely fit quicks right now. Looks like England wouldn’t have had much choice but to go back cap in hand to them anyway.

EDIT: C.Overton has just limped off

Last edited:

TwoSheds

Curran is bowling but very lightly and Robinson only bowled one over in the first innings of his match.

This leaves Broad, Anderson and C.Overton as the only definitely fit quicks right now. Looks like England wouldn’t have had much choice but to go back cap in hand to them anyway.

:lol: well at least we won't have Overton inflicted on us then! Isn't Ryan Higgins showing up fairly well at the minute? I'd give him a go maybe if we're at the bottom of the barrel because he's an all rounder and gives you licence to pick Parkinson even though he's a bit rubbish with the bat. We need wickets from somewhere but it doesn't always have to be pure pace. Be interesting to see if Rashid would consider making himself available for McCullum too come to think of it.

phelans shorts

Alright well done.

As I said, it's inevitable Broad and Anderson are coming back. If it was up to me neither of them would but the high-ups at the ECB clearly think otherwise.

Buttler's technique seemed fine when he batted for about four hours in Adelaide. Plus his job would (should) be to attack, not defend.

Also, your quibbling with Buttler's technique but want to keep Foakes, who's been even more fallible at test level, and want to promote middle-order batsmen to open? Can't see the logic there.

Agree that Parkinson is the best spinner in county cricket but he can't bat or field and until that changes we're going to look really unbalanced with him in the team.
Broad and Anderson should absolutely still be around. They’re still our two best bowlers, even if we’re looking at blooding youth then there should absolutely be one of the two in the side. As for Foakes he’s clearly a better glove man than Buttler in red ball cricket, it’s also not like Jos is regularly piling on the runs to make playing the lesser keeper worthwhile, we’d be losing what, 5 runs on average for a lot less mistakes behind the stumps. It’s a no brainer.

Parky has also been decent in the field so far this season. He appears to have worked quite hard on it

We’ve been trying to apply that sticker for way too long now picking bowlers on their ability to dig in rather than their bowling. If I have to watch Craig Overton trundle in bowling muck again just because he averages 20 with the bat I think it might push me over the edge. There’s no easy answer and we should deal with the rest of the concerns to build confidence.

Overton being injured would be great news for England.

TwoSheds

Alright well done.

I know what you mean about the openers but... they're all a bit shit. I just think we should try to get our best players in the team if we can.

Edit: actually though, that Compton lad looked ok when I saw him the other day, maybe gamble on him?

Last edited:

phelans shorts

:lol: well at least we won't have Overton inflicted on us then! Isn't Ryan Higgins showing up fairly well at the minute? I'd give him a go maybe if we're at the bottom of the barrel because he's an all rounder and gives you licence to pick Parkinson even though he's a bit rubbish with the bat. We need wickets from somewhere but it doesn't always have to be pure pace. Be interesting to see if Rashid would consider making himself available for McCullum too come to think of it.
Potts up at Durham looks fairly interesting. Wouldn’t be shocked if he got a shot before long, Stokes will obviously know him fairly well too.

TwoSheds

Potts up at Durham looks fairly interesting. Wouldn’t be shocked if he got a shot before long, Stokes will obviously know him fairly well too.
Haven't seen him but it's the sort of move I would support. Take a gamble on potential rather than the same old plodders.

phelans shorts

Haven't seen him but it's the sort of move I would support. Take a gamble on potential rather than the same old plodders.
Obviously my Lancashire based view as well, but Balderson looks interesting too. Opened both batting and bowling to start the season, gone for a few runs but taken some big wickets too, only 21. He’s obviously not there yet but give it a couple of years and we could be talking about him getting a shot.

That’s ignoring the obvious lads we have like Bohannon, Parky and Saq

DOTA

Obviously my Lancashire based view as well, but Balderson looks interesting too. Opened both batting and bowling to start the season, gone for a few runs but taken some big wickets too, only 21. He’s obviously not there yet but give it a couple of years and we could be talking about him getting a shot.

Don't think the Balderson opening experiment is worth repeating based on the results but I definitely agree he seems promising. England U19 captain (apparently, I don't really follow the youth teams) so probably not a surprise.

phelans shorts

Don't think the Balderson opening experiment is worth repeating based on the results but I definitely agree he seems promising. England U19 captain (apparently, I don't really follow the youth teams) so probably not a surprise.
He was captain a few years ago, yeah. I also don’t think that worked but again, he is still 21 so who knows. The lad Lavelle in the 2nds at the moment does too, wicketkeeper so he’s behind Salt, probably see a lot more of him if Salt is off with England later in the year.

TwoSheds

Yeah Bohannon looks excellent but he needs to get back in form before I'd consider him. No point throwing a young lad in if he's not in good form and you might just ruin his confidence. Decent shout on Balderson as well, will be very interesting to see how he develops but I agree he's not ready yet from what I can see. He's got the right role models at Lancs to help him develop though.

DOTA

He was captain a few years ago, yeah. I also don’t think that worked but again, he is still 21 so who knows. The lad Lavelle in the 2nds at the moment does too, wicketkeeper so he’s behind Salt, probably see a lot more of him if Salt is off with England later in the year.
Look forward to seeing him. Salt's gotta be pretty much nailed on for that week England are in the Netherlands, even if he's not making a first choice squad.

DOTA

Yeah Bohannon looks excellent but he needs to get back in form before I'd consider him. No point throwing a young lad in if he's not in good form and you might just ruin his confidence. Decent shout on Balderson as well, will be very interesting to see how he develops but I agree he's not ready yet from what I can see. He's got the right role models at Lancs to help him develop though.
It's only three innings since that 231, isn't it?

phelans shorts

He’s not in that poor form, he’s scored 50 more than Burns from 3 less innings! He’s averaged 60 this season like. The 231 is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that admittedly, but it’s certainly not a bad start to the season

TwoSheds

It's only three innings since that 231, isn't it?
Yeah but Crawley can hit 200s, problem is he'll then go and get out cheaply in his next 2-3 innings. I want to see Bohannon get a couple of back to back scores before he's thrown to the wolves.

JohnnyKills

He'll be a top batsman long-term but prob too early now IMO.

JohnnyKills

Definitely. Bohannon and Balderson both look amazing prospects.

DOTA

Fancy Potts, Brook and Parkinson to all get debuts this summer.
I would've thought so.

I'm not convinced Parkinson is the answer in tests, though I'm all for giving it a go. I'm more confident he's Rashid's successor in the limited overs stuff.

TwoSheds

I would've thought so.

I'm not convinced Parkinson is the answer in tests, though I'm all for giving it a go. I'm more confident he's Rashid's successor in the limited overs stuff.
Parkinson is the only English spinner I've seen that looks like he's the ability get match winning figures on the right pitches, regular 5 fors and so on.

Abraxas

I think it was the right move to bring Broad and Anderson back. If they're the best bowlers they're the best bowlers. I think it keeps us going until we can get Archer, Robinson, Stone etc fit and healthy, or at least a couple of them. Mahmood looked okay so you keep him going for pace.

I also think Parkinson should be tried as spinner at some point but Leach has a decent record. I think he's a bit unfairly maligned because he's bog standard, but his stats are fine and he's playing in a team that rarely has runs on the board.

The batting is a mess. No idea there. The new coach and Stokes have to come up with a plan for that. It's no good calling up hackers like Duckett and saying we're going to play positive. You've got to get test class or test potential players regardless of how they play and then expand their game. If you've not got a solid basis there's no chance of being successful consistently. They need to pick out the form players in county cricket that actually have test ability, a combination of performance and judgment. It shouldn't just be stats if they're a previous failure and it shouldn't be too hopeful, Duncan Fletcher had an eye for this.

DOTA

Parkinson is the only English spinner I've seen that looks like he's the ability get match winning figures on the right pitches, regular 5 fors and so on.
I hope so but I think he'd need to improve in order to do so. He hasn't gotten many 5 fors in the county championship.

He wouldn't be the first spinner to improve considerably after coming in to test cricket though, so definitely worth trying.

TwoSheds

I hope so but I think he'd need to improve in order to do so. He hasn't gotten many 5 fors in the county championship.

He wouldn't be the first spinner to improve considerably after coming in to test cricket though, so definitely worth trying.
Most English spinners only get really good towards their late 20s anyway I reckon but yes hopefully experience at Test level could accelerate that progress.

JohnnyKills

Look forward to seeing him. Salt's gotta be pretty much nailed on for that week England are in the Netherlands, even if he's not making a first choice squad.
Same. Salt's a great signing but hope we don't lose him.

IRN-BRUno

Cricinfo reporting that Mott has been preferred over Collingwood for the white-ball coach. Should be announced later this week.

DOTA

Saqib Mahmood is out for the entire season :(

G-manc

At the rate seamers are getting injured, we'll have no option but to go back to Broad and Anderson.

What ever happened to Jamie Overton? He bowled one of the fastest spells i've ever seen in the flesh.

If Harry Brook isn't given a go over Pope or Lawrence at some point this summer in the form he's in it's criminal..

IRN-BRUno

England squad for first two Tests: Ben Stokes (capt), Alex Lees, Zak Crawley, Ollie Pope, Joe Root, Jonny Bairstow, Harry Brook, Ben Foakes, Craig Overton, Stuart Broad, James Anderson, Jack Leach, Matthew Potts

From that I expect: Lees, Crawley, Pope, Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Foakes, Overton, Leach, Broad, Anderson

TheGame

No Matt Parkinson which is disappointing. I would have preferred Burns over Crawley and Pope bats lower down for Surrey so it's a different thing altogether to promote him to 3. Hope Brook comes in at 5 and then Bairstow behind the stumps as that will extend the batting as well.

TheGame

At the rate seamers are getting injured, we'll have no option but to go back to Broad and Anderson.

What ever happened to Jamie Overton? He bowled one of the fastest spells i've ever seen in the flesh.

If Harry Brook isn't given a go over Pope or Lawrence at some point this summer in the form he's in it's criminal..
Only averages just over 30 with the ball at County level so don't think he is in the test thinking. Can't believe how many fast bowlers we have injured.

Brook needs to play with only one of Bairstow or Foakes playing. We need batsmen in the team and can't afford the luxury of 2 WKs.

TheGame

Already averages just below 24 in FC so needs to be given a proper go at Test level then can improve from there. We really need a threatening spinner who takes regular wickets not just holds up an end.