English cricket thread

JohnnyKills

I’d actually say the player best suited to being at 3 is Crawley, but A) we don’t really have the openers to try it and B) is Crawley even good enough.

Brooks should be playing I entirely agree with that. Maybe the second test. I really don’t even know where I stand on the keeper spot at the moment. Bairstow definitely isn’t the answer, neither is Jos. Maybe it is just a case of sticking with Foakes, he’s been in tremendous form for Surrey.
Foakes is averaging less than Bairstow and Buttler and he hasn't even faced a top team yet.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Also averaging fewer catches per game than Buttler.
If you're good at stumping people you will average fewer catches won't you? That and Butter has actually played in some decent England bowling attacks from time to time.

G-manc

Ollie Pope hs to be under a bit of pressure. He's not torn up any trees in the middle order never mind at 3 with 2 average openers ahead of him. Crawley is reckless with his driving and I don't mind Lees but i watched a lot of him at Yorkshire and i do feel he can get bogged down and restricted by a class attack. He never struck me as a player with vast array of shots.

Pope seems to be one of those players everyone pegs as 'class' but always seems to find a way of getting out after a start. Could be another who flatters to deceive ala Ramprakash, Vince etc.

Abraxas

I would guess the reason they keep beating the Pope drum is they have some inclination he is class and we have a real dearth of batsman with impressive FC averages. He is one of the few that do. It hasn't worked so far, though. Him at 3 looks weird to me, he doesn't strike me as a 3.

To me it's a massive shame Butter hasn't really adapted to red ball cricket. In my mind he should be able to average 40 and be capable of game changing innings. There's no good reason he shouldn't be able to, he's got all the talent, all the shots. But I think sticking with Foakes is the right choice for now, he's averaging 28 - he needs to add at least another 7 to that but that isn't insurmountable and he's a good keeper.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
To me it's a massive shame Butter hasn't really adapted to red ball cricket. In my mind he should be able to average 40 and be capable of game changing innings. There's no good reason he shouldn't be able to, he's got all the talent, all the shots.
It's the head he hasn't got. Bats well when attacking with the tail or when batting for a draw. He's never worked out how to play a normal innings though. Assume he overthinks it.

DOTA

That was easy. No idea what Young was up to.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
good toss to lose. we’d have been 3 down by now.

DOTA

Lovely for Potts.

NZ have been fecking awful.

paulscholes18

Getting Kane as your first wicket in your first test and first over, can't get much better than that

Dan_F

I almost went to Lords for this test but decided it was too expensive. 12-4 and a lad on debut just got Williamson out. Almost silent 10 seconds later :lol:

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I almost went to Lords for this test but decided it was too expensive. 12-4 and a lad on debut just got Williamson out. Almost silent 10 seconds later :lol:
You don't go to Lords for a rowdy atmosphere. It's a brilliant day out regardless, fantastic ground.

I can ignore the snootyness mainly.

DOTA

Hope this plan sticks around.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Lords is so ridiculously far down the list of places I’d go to to watch cricket. Does absolutely nothing for me at all.
Have you been? On paper I should hate it but I think it's superb tbh.

Can even take in your own booze.

Dan_F

You don't go to Lords for a rowdy atmosphere. It's a brilliant day out regardless, fantastic ground.

I can ignore the snootyness mainly.
Of course, but I’d expect a little more given the state of the match.

Lords is so ridiculously far down the list of places I’d go to to watch cricket. Does absolutely nothing for me at all.
Somewhere that I’d like to go once to tick it off the list. For that price I’d want to guarantee sun though and looking at the forecast for Saturday, I’m glad I didn’t do it.

DOTA

Leach concussion confirmed. Matt Parkinson surely in the car down now.

Potts gets Mitchell as I type this
Hope he's okay and the worst for him is missing out. It's gotta be Parkinson, surely, yeah. I don't know why they're talking about Moeen, on the telly. I would hope that wouldn't be allowed, if we were to try it.

phelans shorts

Guessing he has to be replaced by a bowler rather than Brook?
“Like for like replacement” so Brook isn’t allowed. Don’t think the ref would allow Moeen either due to his batting record.

They take it serious enough that commentary are doubting Parkinson would be allowed because he’s a leggie which would leave… Callum Parkinson? Dom Bess?

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
“Like for like replacement” so Brook isn’t allowed. Don’t think the ref would allow Moeen either due to his batting record.

They take it serious enough that commentary are doubting Parkinson would be allowed because he’s a leggie which would leave… Callum Parkinson? Dom Bess?
If its like for like I assume the replacement also has to be shite?

DOTA

If it's literally gotta be a slow left armer that seems far too strict to work for touring sides.

LDUred

Potts bowling some good areas on day-boo. Good so far, but we've seen England let sides off the hook from four or five down.

zing

Zingle balls
Have you been? On paper I should hate it but I think it's superb tbh.

Can even take in your own booze.
I went for a domestic T20 game 5 years ago.. Hampshire v Middlesex or something. Stadium was fantastic. The weekend before I did the stadium tour as well and that was amazing too.

The tour guide asked the group to name the only player to have his name up on the home and away honours board at Lords both -- and I knew the answer to it..

phelans shorts

I went for a domestic T20 game 5 years ago.. Hampshire v Middlesex or something. Stadium was fantastic. The weekend before I did the stadium tour as well and that was amazing too.

The tour guide asked the group to name the only player to have his name up on the home and away honours board at Lords both -- and I knew the answer to it..
Now you’ve got me racking my brain, Boyd Rankin?