English cricket thread

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
No way are we favourites. Essentially everything hinges on Smith having another tremendous innings.
Nah Aussies are strong favourites. Smith doesn't need to have another tremendous innings, just needs someone stick with him for another 100 runs as it will be extremely difficult to chase anything above 150 on this pitch.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Moeen is a very form dependent player. He's horrible at the moment, Leach needs to play rest of series. I don't think there is much between Root and Moeen as bowlers when Moeen is bowling badly, and Leach would be better bowling at Smith. I can't fathom how Moeen would get Smith out.
Yeah, Moeen just looks awful with bat and ball at the moment. Would be surprised if he kept his place, unless he knocks over three or four here.

zing

Zingle balls
Who are the English fast bowlers on the fringes of the squad?

Archer comes into the 11, and I am wondering who the backup will be with Mark Wood injured. Olly Stone must be one, I suppose?

AshRK

Smith is a class batsmen. I would say kohli, smith and williamson are in the league of their own. Proper batsmen.

AshRK

In tests Smith is a tier above the other two.
Debatable considering kohli was also absolute beast last summer in england. I would say Kohli has improved massively in tests in last 2 years.

jungledrums

Debatable considering kohli was also absolute beast last summer in england. I would say Kohli has improved massively in tests in last 2 years.
Have to agree with @Samid. Just as Kohli is in a class of his own in limited over cricket, so too is Smith in test cricket.

Archer comes into the 11, and I am wondering who the backup will be with Mark Wood injured. Olly Stone must be one, I suppose?
Sam Curran as well

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy

Sam Curran as well
Came out on Thursday that Lewis Gregory's out for 'an indefinite period' with a foot problem, if anyone believes England ever had any intention of picking him.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Anderson injury has been so huge in this match and could be the deciding factor tomorrow
Similar significance and impact of McGrath getting injured in 2005 Ashes.

England very lucky to have some quality bench strength for next test, but his absence certainly being felt right now.

Similar significance and impact of McGrath getting injured in 2005 Ashes.

England very lucky to have some quality bench strength for next test, but his absence certainly being felt right now.
Wouldn't say lucky, but it's a good position to be in to have Archer, Curran and Stone out of the squad to place Anderson. With others in county cricket that are on the fringe (Saq Mahmood (Lancs) for example)

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Disappointing we don't get the pre match and post match stuff now in India. Sky coverage is top class..
I enjoyed the pre and post content from CricBuzz during World Cup. Thought Zaheer Khan and Robin Uttuppa provided great insight and were also very engaging personalities.

Was that only for CWC19?

zing

Zingle balls
I enjoyed the pre and post content from CricBuzz during World Cup. Thought Zaheer Khan and Robin Uttuppa provided great insight and were also very engaging personalities.

Was that only for CWC19?
They had it for the IPL as well.

They go through a variety of guests. Zaheer Khan is good, but pre-match shows are hugely dependent on the host and Cricbuzz have some garbage ones like Gaurav Kapur. Don't know who was it that was in the studio for the WC.

Like the (now) occasional serious ones hosted by Harsha Bhogle with proper guests - those are class.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Wouldn't say lucky, but it's a good position to be in to have Archer, Curran and Stone out of the squad to place Anderson. With others in county cricket that are on the fringe (Saq Mahmood (Lancs) for example)
Yeah ‘lucky’ is the wrong word! ‘Well planned for’ is what I meant.

I really like the look of Mahmood: would be amazing as part of a future 90mph trio alongside Archer and Wood.

Last edited:

DOTA

Feels very early for Mahmood.

I think we're a bit short on fast bowling, to be honest. Archer's never played a test and we're not sure if he's fit either, so that could end in tears. Wood is done for the summer. Stone has only played one match. Curran's more an allrounder than someone you want to rely on as a bowler.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
They had it for the IPL as well.

They go through a variety of guests. Zaheer Khan is good, but pre-match shows are hugely dependent on the host and Cricbuzz have some garbage ones like Gaurav Kapur. Don't know who was it that was in the studio for the WC.

Like the (now) occasional serious ones hosted by Harsha Bhogle with proper guests - those are class.
It was a weedy looking chap wearing glasses and another weedy looking chap with curly hair (also a minor actor I think). I liked them both.

Last edited:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Joe Denly has looked like England's most threatening bowler on this day.

KM

Warne and Botham are such insufferable pricks sometimes and they're both doing commentary together right now.

zing

Zingle balls

I think we're a bit short on fast bowling, to be honest. Archer's never played a test and we're not sure if he's fit either, so that could end in tears. Wood is done for the summer. Stone has only played one match. Curran's more an allrounder than someone you want to rely on as a bowler.
Agree with this - think England are in trouble if Anderson is out for the series. You need some reliable squad bowlers(think Bresnan, Tremlett 5-6 years ago) in a 5 match series. Curran is an average bowler - Pandya level. Pretty steep fall off in quality.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Have to agree with @Samid. Just as Kohli is in a class of his own in limited over cricket, so too is Smith in test cricket.
Especially as this is his first test since being banned.

I suspect this second phase of Smith’s career will be even better, given his motivations will have increased even more.

KM

Much as Smith has been excellent, England's bowling is severely hampered without their best bowler. I think this match would've been done had Anderson been not injured.

TheGame

Much as Smith has been excellent, England's bowling is severely hampered without their best bowler. I think this match would've been done had Anderson been not injured.
Its also the fact they keep chopping and changing bowling plans rather than sticking with consistent line and length to Smith. Obviously Anderson is a massive loss.

KM

Its also the fact they keep chopping and changing bowling plans rather than sticking with consistent line and length to Smith. Obviously Anderson is a massive loss.
Nah Smith is that good, that he makes bowlers looks mediocre but any team would miss their best bowler.

KM

Bairstow would probably make me silly but maybe Foakes for second test given he's such a superior keeper?

NinjaFletch

I genuinely think I'm getting to Ian Bell levels of irrational dislike with Bairstow.

JohnnyKills

Yeah, Moeen just looks awful with bat and ball at the moment. Would be surprised if he kept his place, unless he knocks over three or four here.
Plus Smith has got out to left-arm spin a few times hasn't he. Maharaj and Jadeja have had some success against him so maybe Leach can as well. He's worth a place in the team for that alone.

DOTA

Bairstow would probably make me silly but maybe Foakes for second test given he's such a superior keeper?
Averaging 30 with no hundreds in 17 innings, this season. I know Bairstow is in shocking form himself but I don't think it's a great time to give Foakes another go.

JohnnyKills

Nah, no way they're going to make more than two changes. This isn't the 1990s. Anderson and Moeen look like they're going to be out and they won't want any more disruption.

But you're naming there four seam bowlers, all of which aren't in our best XI - that's good depth

And agree re Mahmood, keep going this summer - and then have more opportunity with the Lions. But am sure he'll be on their radar

DOTA

But you're naming there four seam bowlers, all of which aren't in our best XI - that's good depth

And agree re Mahmood, keep going this summer - and then have more opportunity with the Lions. But am sure he'll be on their radar
We'd have good depth if everyone was fit, absolutely.