English cricket thread

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Bairstow v India. Can he get us to about 100 behind?

That would keep us in the match.
It wouldn't really though would it? Their bowling attack is class and their batsmen are better than ours. We basically have 3 and a half good batsmen who might do something. If Stokes stopped being a plonker we'd have 4.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
It wouldn't really though would it? Their bowling attack is class and their batsmen are better than ours. We basically have 3 and a half good batsmen who might do something. If Stokes stopped being a plonker we'd have 4.
Well it would?

You try and bowl India out for sub 200 second innings and have another cracking chase on the cards.

gorky_utd

Is this a new style in test cricket? Batman from both side scoring at almost 100 strike rate. Or nobody is confident that they can survive 90 overs so just play T20 after the ball gets old :D .

TwoSheds

Well it would?

You try and bowl India out for sub 200 second innings and have another cracking chase on the cards.
Not happening though is it? Their batting lineup is too deep. 50 run lead wouldn't be great but it would give you some hope. 100 would be insurmountable.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Is this a new style in test cricket? Batman from both side scoring at almost 100 strike rate. Or nobody is confident that they can survive 90 overs so just play T20 after the ball gets old :D .
I’d argue that they are confident once the ball gets old, hence the style of play. Hard to say if something is changing quite yet or if it’s the pitches and the Dukes ball this year enabling this approach.

Dan_F

Not happening though is it? Their batting lineup is too deep. 50 run lead wouldn't be great but it would give you some hope. 100 would be insurmountable.
Just enjoy the ride. There’s a good chance it’ll be a comfortable victory for India but England have dug themselves out of similar positions recently, so there’s always a chance.

phelans shorts

I’m not sure I think as highly of this India batting lineup as you. Aside Pant it doesn’t worry me too much at all, he can change a game entirely in an hour or so, plus potential for runs at the back end with our problems against the tail.

Obviously there’s a fair few who can hold up an end, but I don’t really see many big runs in there

Abraxas

We need to whittle this down to a 100 run lead and then bowl much better. That will also bring the draw into play if there is more rain about. If we give up a huge lead we're in big trouble.

ArmchairCritic

Kohli really was difficult to like when he was getting runs but now he is just insufferable
I enjoy his passion for the game. I think it’s part of the reason he’s burned out a bit as a batsman mind you but I definitely think it’s been central to driving this Indian pace attack to the level it is now at.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
We need to whittle this down to a 100 run lead and then bowl much better. That will also bring the draw into play if there is more rain about. If we give up a huge lead we're in big trouble.
No rain forecast at all

zing

Zingle balls
I’m not sure I think as highly of this India batting lineup as you. Aside Pant it doesn’t worry me too much at all, he can change a game entirely in an hour or so, plus potential for runs at the back end with our problems against the tail.

Obviously there’s a fair few who can hold up an end, but I don’t really see many big runs in there
Yea. On average it’s not a strong batting lineup, especially with two of the best batters missing. We do have talented players who can take the game away but definitely can be controlled with good bowling.

Abraxas

India might have a dubious batting lineup by their standards but I think our bowling attack is also questionable with Broad scarcely looking at his best this summer and it's hard to expect Leach to be a big threat against India. He won't get those cheap wickets he got versus NZ. We definitely can't afford a big lead.

Dan_F

Think the UK is due good weather after today. Especially with the rate that the two teams have been scoring, I don’t think a draw will come into it.

TwoSheds

Yea. On average it’s not a strong batting lineup, especially with two of the best batters missing. We do have talented players who can take the game away but definitely can be controlled with good bowling.
Controlled to less than 200 in an innings like whoever it was suggested? Not for me. Good players all the way down to 8/9.

Abraxas

Think the UK is due good weather after today. Especially with the rate that the two teams have been scoring, I don’t think a draw will come into it.
Yeah, it's never a draw with full days play. But you never know. It only comes into it if there are showers and we cut the lead so that India feel compelled to set a big target due to our recent chasing.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I enjoy his passion for the game. I think it’s part of the reason he’s burned out a bit as a batsman mind you but I definitely think it’s been central to driving this Indian pace attack to the level it is now at.

Nah I think the passion thing is overplayed. Most sportsmen at the top level are hyper competitive & passionate but not everyone behaves the way he does

ArmchairCritic

Nah I think the passion thing is overplayed. Most sportsmen at the top level are hyper competitive & passionate but not everyone behaves the way he does
It manifests differently in everyone and adds to the rich fabric of the game. If everyone was stoic and cold it would be very boring.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Back on In 10 mins and should in theory have no more interruptions for the rest of the Test.

AshRK

Yes he overdoes but he is what he is. I can understand for a rival fan that can be frustrating

ArmchairCritic

I reckon he’d have had 4 in 4 had New Zealand set another 50 on top of the last chase. One of the great purple patches by any English batsman.

Skills

Snitch
I still don't get why India haven't played Bhuvneshwar Kumar in England. He's by far their best bowler in these conditions

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
This is incredible form from Bairstow. Struggling to think of a better purple patch for England in recent times.

Still need to get the lead down to at least 100 to stand a chance though

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Good fightback from the position we were in overnight but I don't think we've done enough.

Need a huge effort with the ball to not be chasing 350+ in the final innings.