English cricket thread

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Credit to India for taking advantage but the rain breaks made that a horrible day for batting.

Can England mount a miraculous counter attack again? It's possible but this India attack is miles ahead of NZs.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Shami and Bumrah are actually amazing.

zing

Zingle balls
Credit to India for taking advantage but the rain breaks made that a horrible day for batting.

Can England mount a miraculous counter attack again? It's possible but this India attack is miles ahead of NZs.
Agree. The rain breaks favoured us. Came out fresh every time.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Decision to pick Broad instead of Overton not looking particularly clever tbh. Really hope someone sees sense and drops Crawley too. Not sure what we're learning at this point.

KM

I like how both teams fans are always moaning about their teams! It's the common things that unites us.

Djemba-Djemba

Decision to pick Broad instead of Overton not looking particularly clever tbh. Really hope someone sees sense and drops Crawley too. Not sure what we're learning at this point.
Pretty sure this will be his last game for a long time.

Crawley apparently averages 11 since his one good innings in England vs Pakistan 2 years ago.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Got a feeling India will win this by an innings.

I don’t think McCullum’s really done a great deal so far other than get everything out of what he has by rebuilding the confidence of his players. He’s been deliberately low profile and I think he knows there’s an awful lot of work to do with this team. The top order is still frail, the slip catching is still poor and they still struggle bowling against the tail. I did like how Bairstow batted tonight, showed an appreciation for the context of the game which England will need to do as they play better teams.

I think Stokes’ decision to bowl yesterday was questionable, the England seamers who played the 3rd test vs New Zealand looked tired and I think that’s why Stokes bowled such a long spell at the end of the day.

zing

Zingle balls
Might be an unpopular time to say that there's a good player in Zak Crawley..

Just hiding very deep at the moment

zing

Zingle balls
The most impressive thing for India is that our bowlers(and Jadeja's batting) went from the IPL to that having landed in England a week ago.

Last edited:

iKnowNothing

I have a feeling that Day3 is going to be a good day for England. Stokes and Bairstow at the crease and with a bit of sun out, they will attack the bowling.

If India manage to run through England with a lead of say 200-250, then it will be interesting to see what kind of a target Indian team will be comfortable with. We’ve seen England go for 400-odd in 5 or so sessions, so I’m assuming the Indian team will love something close to 500.

gajender

I have a feeling that Day3 is going to be a good day for England. Stokes and Bairstow at the crease and with a bit of sun out, they will attack the bowling.

If India manage to run through England with a lead of say 200-250, then it will be interesting to see what kind of a target Indian team will be comfortable with. We’ve seen England go for 400-odd in 5 or so sessions, so I’m assuming the Indian team will love something close to 500.
Every team would go for 400 odd target initially if there are 5 or so sessions left but not many would successfully chase it or even draw the game , India would be more than comfortable defending anything above 400 even 300 might be enough .

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Dropping him doesn't preclude you from picking him again when that good player works out his game. But persisting with a guy who is offering next to nothing isn't doing his confidence any good and is teaching you very little. I'd like to see Compton given a go but seemingly Sibley has changed his technique and is reaping the rewards so could be worth another go. I think you can afford one or two boring batsmen even in Bazball. Particularly with the ball as it is this year, dead after 30 overs or so. Somebody whose sole job is to take the shine off it could be useful.

Robindinho

Not think they'll just make England bat again, with that kind of lead?

Still 133 runs needed to avoid the follow on, with only bowlers to come after Bairstow/Stokes.

Edit: I forgot Billings (2 wickets away from bowlers then).

JohnnyKills

Yeah, feel like Broad could be done very soon (unless they rotate him with Anderson which could be a sensible move tbh).

JohnnyKills

Dropping him doesn't preclude you from picking him again when that good player works out his game. But persisting with a guy who is offering next to nothing isn't doing his confidence any good and is teaching you very little. I'd like to see Compton given a go but seemingly Sibley has changed his technique and is reaping the rewards so could be worth another go. I think you can afford one or two boring batsmen even in Bazball. Particularly with the ball as it is this year, dead after 30 overs or so. Somebody whose sole job is to take the shine off it could be useful.
Also agree

JohnnyKills

Got a feeling India will win this by an innings.

I don’t think McCullum’s really done a great deal so far other than get everything out of what he has by rebuilding the confidence of his players. He’s been deliberately low profile and I think he knows there’s an awful lot of work to do with this team. The top order is still frail, the slip catching is still poor and they still struggle bowling against the tail. I did like how Bairstow batted tonight, showed an appreciation for the context of the game which England will need to do as they play better teams.

I think Stokes’ decision to bowl yesterday was questionable, the England seamers who played the 3rd test vs New Zealand looked tired and I think that’s why Stokes bowled such a long spell at the end of the day.
Doubt we'll lose by an innings simply because no-one declares anymore unless you've got a massive lead. Agree on the rest though.

KM

I like him too, very classy batsman and un-English like. Having said that average of 24 is horrible.
Was listening to Dobbell and he said other options are Rory Burns, Sam Robson, neither of them good tbh.

Bazball might see Buttler open in test match cricket(terrible idea but fun to see)

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
You see, they have this argument about the ball going off after 40 overs, so that's why teams are losing a lot of wickets early and the middle order having a field day.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the fundamental tasks of the openers is to play against the new ball and take the shine off it.

I guess it's difficult for England, with us not having functioning opening batsmen.

zing

Zingle balls
Bazball is just Bairstow ball -- he's just in very good form.. this is incredible batting

ArmchairCritic

Stokes didn’t need to go so hard with how Bairstow is batting. Look at how Jadeja played with Pant.

ArmchairCritic

The other thing is, once India start setting fielders a bit deeper, just take the easy singles. That’s the whole point of playing aggressively, to take the pressure off and open up the game for yourself. You can go at 4-5 an over without playing a shot in anger and then when they get pissed off and bring them in again, go bang again.

ArmchairCritic

Fabulous test cricket though. Thought India were just losing it a bit there with misfields and drops but awesome take from Bumrah.

PoTMS

Stokes must be in a hurry, he wasn't satisfied with being dropped the ball before.

Reddevildans

I'm sorry it may be entertaining but you seriously cant win test series playing like this. Its utterly brainless. Nz series was a freak possibly because nz were shocked and not expecting this style. But against very good teams it won't work. I give it 1 out of 4-5 tests you can win like this. England also need an extra batter in there. Tail for too long.

Robindinho

No need for that, dropped the ball before (for the second time) charging down - not every ball has to go Ben.

It's day 3 and still trailing by 260... There's being attacking and then just being dumb.

zing

Zingle balls
I think Stokes is a better batter in his old incarnation. He’s got very good defence and in English conditions good enough to play number 4.

ArmchairCritic

I'm sorry it may be entertaining but you seriously cant win test series playing like this. Its utterly brainless. Nz series was a freak possibly because nz were shocked and not expecting this style. But against very good teams it won't work. I give it 1 out of 4-5 tests you can win like this. England also need an extra batter in there. Tail for too long.
Bairstow’s the template. Think he’s shown how to play the situation and then apply pressure back once the ball has softened perfectly. I think it’s important in the development of this England team for them and the captain in particular to show no fear of failure. They are absolutely going to get walloped because they just don’t have good enough players, but you have to set the style, commit to it and then add better players as you develop.

They’ll need legit quicks and openers if it’s ever going to be very successful and they needed them anyway.

ArmchairCritic

I think Stokes is a better batter in his old incarnation. He’s got very good defence and in English conditions good enough to play number 4.
He’s at his best in between, caution up front to soften the ball and then aggression when bowlers are tired and erring. Basically Headingley.

Reddevildans

Bairstow’s the template. Think he’s shown how to play the situation and then apply pressure back once the ball has softened perfectly. I think it’s important in the development of this England team for them and the captain in particular to show no fear of failure. They are absolutely going to get walloped because they just don’t have good enough players, but you have to set the style, commit to it and then add better players as you develop.

They’ll need legit quicks and openers if it’s ever going to be very successful and they needed them anyway.
Agree. England have them in the bank with Wood and Archer with the likes of Robinson and others not too bad either with pace. Need them fit though which I have little hope especially with archer and wood. We're just not good with maintaining the fitness of pacey bowlers right now.
The openers are still not good enough imo.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Bairstow v India. Can he get us to about 100 behind?

That would keep us in the match.

PoTMS

It seems England can only be good at one sport at a time. When we're good at cricket, we're shite at football and rugby.