English cricket thread

Djemba-Djemba

We shouldn't forget just how bad England have been the last few years, before the NZ test series we'd won 1 match in 17.

So I fully expect us to be up and down for a while.

phelans shorts

Parkinson is the next one in line but Stokes seems to trust Leach so it will be interesting to see how he gets on in the winter.
Parky’s biggest problem is the England setups eternal distrust in leggies. Leach definitely bought himself some time (rightly or wrongly) at Headingley. Albeit, Parky did acquit himself well when he had the chance at a lords.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Does anyone else find Mark Butcher’s voice just incredibly boring? First time listened to him today and it looks like he was sleeping whilst talking or something.

zing

Zingle balls
I think McCullum is probably a great guy tactically -- his captaincy was really good to watch. I do think the effects of positive intent and all that are overstated. If intent was all that's needed to dramatically increase both your average and strike rate, a lot more batsmen wouldve cracked it. If you have the same conditions, you have to sacrifice either average for strike rate or strike rate for average.

I don't think it'll consistently work against good sides in test match conditions. I expect to see that soon. I do think tactically being offensive in an intelligent way that McCullum showed has a lot of upside, but you cannot simply turn a 25 average 50 strike rate batter into a 40 average at 130. It is possible today and this test match England do this again, but over the long run I would expect a lot more sanity.

I know limited overs batting bucked this trend about 10 years ago(aided by conditions to some extent), but test match cricket is a bowler's game.

If we put 400 up and bowl as we usually do, we are well in it.

Last edited:

zing

Zingle balls
Does anyone else find Mark Butcher’s voice just incredibly boring? First time listened to him today and it looks like he was sleeping whilst talking or something.
I know what you're saying but I like his comms.

Agarkar on the other hand fits your description very well.

Also -- I could never really understand yesterday if David Gower was being a prick to Harsha Bhogle or trying to joke around?(he's on Indian comms, for the English fans here)

JohnnyKills

Also -- I could never really understand yesterday if David Gower was being a prick to Harsha Bhogle or trying to joke around?(he's on Indian comms, for the English fans here)
I think he tries to be laid-back and chill and sometimes it comes across badly. He probably wasn't being a prick intentionally.

JohnnyKills

Leach is such an ordinary bowler. Surely egnland would have some better spinner than him. Even root will bowl better than him.
He bowled well in the last game but yeah, I'm not convinced overall.

Expect Moeen will come back soon.

JohnnyKills

He doesn't bowl anywhere enough these days. No rhythm at all.

To be honest, the English attack in general is pretty average.
Tbf we've got loads of bowlers out injured but you're right, it's not great.

The positive vibes will eventually run out - if we're going to sustain our recent form we need a better bowling attack.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

What did he say?

zing

Zingle balls
What did he say?
Just a couple jibes about Harsha playing cricket. Wasn’t clear if he was poking fun at Harsha not being a cricketer(this is a something other Indian cricketers have taken a jibe at Harsha for before, Gower wouldn’t know that).

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Just a couple jibes about Harsha playing cricket. Wasn’t clear if he was poking fun at Harsha not being a cricketer(this is a something other Indian cricketers have taken a jibe at Harsha for before, Gower wouldn’t know that).
Fair enough. I should think it was just intended to be banter most likely.

zing

Zingle balls
Broad has put this game out of England’s reach here I think. Love it.

zing

Zingle balls
Stuart Broad talks a lot of shit when out of the team for a guy who isn’t that good these days when in it.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Between buzzers, no balls and wides England must have given away a good 30-40 runs.

ArmchairCritic

McCullum has to ban England from short-ball theory for a bit, it never works.

IRN-BRUno

So Broad now has the most expensive over in Test history as well as the six 6s in T20 :lol:

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Awful cricket from England, brainless. 420 now instead of 380. Big difference.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Broad can really go from one extreme to the other :lol:

ArmchairCritic

Yeah, he's feted as one of the world's top bowlers in the UK, but I've never been convinced. Good bowler for sure, but can look really innocuous and hittable.
He’s had a poor summer. When the ball isn’t talking he can’t shut up shop in the same way Jimmy can. If Robinson can get fit he takes Broad’s spot for the foreseeable future.

phelans shorts

Lees and Crawley just aren't up to it sadly.
Lees has largely been fine since coming in. I’m not writing him off yet but I’ll admit to not thinking he’s the answer.

Crawley is the eternal discussion, definitely a player in there but his confidence is absolutely shot far too easily. I just don’t think he’s an opener and should go away and play in the county game for a year or so and find himself.

He’s feels like the typical ECB future England captain choice, particularly with Key in his role. This is definitely not helping him because he’s in such a charmed position that the fans are turning on him for it.
Yeah, he's feted as one of the world's top bowlers in the UK, but I've never been convinced. Good bowler for sure, but can look really innocuous and hittable.
While true and what separates him from Anderson, Broad’s spells where he’s absolutely unplayable are hard to argue with. Not many players in the world ever have one of those spells, while Broad has had numerous.