English cricket thread

zing

Zingle balls
Right - that is one of the bravest things I have seen in cricket

Steven Smith has balls of steel

Skills

Snitch
Is Steve Smith the test batsman better than Virat Kohli the ODI batsman?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I'm in complete awe.. he's mad
Mad with anger I think. Probably feels abit humilated that he was floored and wants to make a point of retribution.

What an amazing competitor. Serious respect.

freeurmind

weak willed
Surely the Aussie medics are smart enough not to let Smith go and bat after a blow like that? Especially in a match seemingly peetering out to a draw.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Surely the Aussie medics are smart enough not to let Smith go and bat after a blow like that? Especially in a match seemingly peetering out to a draw.
Yeah, hard to stop Smith if he passed the test though. Incredible spirit from him.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

He’s gonna have a very swollen arm and who knows how his head will feel once the adrenalin and endorphins wear off.

I think he’s doubtful for 3rd test which starts next Thursday.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Pointless match now.. unless England collapse
That's the beauty of test cricket. People will look over this test in the future and shrug their shoulders but people will also remember that middle session for a very long time!

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
That is much more like it.
Being hit by a hard cricket ball at well over 130ft/second.
I am old enough to remember the great Freddie Trueman saying, when he was a commentator and when the first cricket helmets were being worn, that if a batsman wore a helmet then he would bowl under arm to him.
Let's see how that works out for England and Archer in particular when he bats. Starc may make a sudden return to the side.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Let's see how that works out for England and Archer in particular when he bats. Starc may make a sudden return to the side.
Maybe. But I doubt that Australia will take it personally. He did not intentionally try to hurt Smith, who was very brave when he came back on.

AJ10

Wonder If Aussies will give England some sweet chin music.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Maybe. But I doubt that Australia will take it personally. He did not intentionally try to hurt Smith, who was very brave when he came back on.
Australia bombarded Archer with bumpers when he batted and will continue to do as the series progresses.
Starc/Pattinson on a fast track will be terrifying.

Also saw some criticism aimed at Archer ‘for not being more concerned when Smith was on the floor’. What utter nonsense. Firstly they are teammates at Rajasthan Royals. Second who knows what Buttler and he were talking about: looked more like nervous energy to me.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
England smash 350 in ODI style and give themselves 2 sessions tomorrow to bowl Australia out?
9-2 with Root gone first ball and Roy gone too.

There goes this stupid prediction of mine :lol:

England now have huge challenge just to avoid defeat.

Last edited:

zing

Zingle balls
The Aussie attack is seriously good.
It really is. This is proper bowling from Cummins and Hazlewood.

Even if they're not bowling unplayable spells, they are disciplined and on the money.

Just started watching again the last few overs - just metronomic.

I know @ArmchairCritic said we're entering a golden age of fast bowling - I feel like we've been already there for last 3 years.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Is Root's best position a #3?

He's such a good player when he's in form, but he's coming in far too early in this series at least. He may as well be opening.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Averages more at 5 I think.

But him getting the English captaincy also has affected his batting.
The added pressure of being captain doesn't help, but someone has to do it.

He should at least be dropped down to #4.

paulscholes18

Is Root's best position a #3?

He's such a good player when he's in form, but he's coming in far too early in this series at least. He may as well be opening.
No #3 is his worst position averages under 40, his best is #5 where it’s over 70, but due to nobody being able to bat 3 he has put himself there

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Australia bombarded Archer with bumpers when he batted and will continue to do as the series progresses.
Starc/Pattinson on a fast track will be terrifying.

Also saw some criticism aimed at Archer ‘for not being more concerned when Smith was on the floor’. What utter nonsense. Firstly they are teammates at Rajasthan Royals. Second who knows what Buttler and he were talking about: looked more like nervous energy to me.
Exactly. It is comical how some people can make such a fuss about nothing.
These are professional sportsmen.
This is precisely why it is called a Test Match. Because it is a test of a players skills and capabilities.
And this includes mental toughness.