English cricket thread

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
So do England win this match if they are not bowled out by end of the day ?
No, we still need to bowl Australia out again to win. Unless both teams have batted twice it’s a draw.

What will probably happen is a situation where Australia are batting just trying not to be bowled out to save the draw, but we will see.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
It's been short of a length since the dawn of time. You bowl a short ball, not a back ball.

It's not back of a length, it's short of a length. I was thinking how good her commentary has been, until I noticed this.
'Back of a length' is really commonly used. I'm amazed you're not familiar with it.
Odds on Broad to bang it in back of a length
And then it started sticking in the pitch when it was banged in back of a length.

India only need one partnership, really, but if the NZ innings is anything to go by it's not about to get a whole lot easier.
Could go alright if they us him how England have used Plunkett. Bang it in back of a length, bowl some cutters and a shit load of bouncers. Don't pitch anything up and bowl him exclusively in the middle overs.
Elgar got hit on the head by a bouncer bowled back of a length. That was down to his technique, not the pitch. For the umpires it was clearly the last straw though and if they did not at least consider the safety of the pitch they would not be doing their jobs
This was a shocking shout...
Jordan reminds me of that guy from Preston who used to bowl fast, just back of a length, and hit the ball a long way.

Last edited:

Dan_F

I don’t know how this keeps happening in all sports, football included. Players can’t be allowed to make the decisions and maybe even team doctors. It should be neutrals who don’t have anything invested in the game.

We should just smash our way to 200 and declare without Smith playing. There’s no way we’re going to win three tests in a row. So annoying that we lost play on two mornings as well as the full day. We probably only need a couple hours more, but that’s cricket I guess.

NinjaFletch

It's been short of a length since the dawn of time. You bowl a short ball, not a back ball.

It's not back of a length, it's short of a length. I was thinking how good her commentary has been, until I noticed this.
I'd say you hear back of a length more often than you hear short of a length, but both are very very common.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
What are you confused about here?
I don't think this is confirmed, is it? I mean, obviously he absolutely shouldn't play but last I've heard Australia are still claiming they haven't yet ruled him out.
Just read that too. Hmm. I'm sure I heard such on TMS yesterday. Maybe they were hypothesising or referring to football protocols. Apologies.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I'd say you hear back of a length more often than you hear short of a length, but both are very very common.
But it makes no sense, as I said, you bowl a short ball, not a back ball. Back of a length means nothing.

It's new, short of a length has always been used, because it makes sense, back of a length is idiotic.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

JohnnyKills

Don't know what Buttler was playing at there. Spent the whole morning blocking then hits one up in the air.

Seems like he doesn't have much of a plan to play test cricket.

NinjaFletch

But it makes no sense, as I said, you bowl a short ball, not a back ball. Back of a length means nothing.

It's new, short of a length has always been used, because it makes sense, back of a length is idiotic.
I'm not sure arguing it doesn't make sense is a winning argument for cricket. Most of the sports vocabulary doesn't make sense.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
250 to 280 to win with 45 to 50 overs should make for a good game.

A Smithless batting lineup is a big risk for us Aussies

NinjaFletch

Not really sure the point of this after Stokes has got his cebtury. 250 with 50 left probably wouldn't be chased but you might get the Aussies caught in two minds about whether to go for it 270ish off 49 and they'll just block for the draw.

Balljy

Not really sure the point of this after Stokes has got his cebtury. 250 with 50 left probably wouldn't be chased but you might get the Aussies caught in two minds about whether to go for it 270ish off 49 and they'll just block for the draw.
There's no way that England can risk an Australia win in any shape or form so had to put it a bit out of sight. 2-0 with 3 to play would be game over. They'll be hoping to give themselves a chance today and if not Smith may not be there for the next test.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
I'm far from an expert on cricket with this being the first Ashes I have properly followed but surely without Smith Australia will just try and survive and go for the draw?

NinjaFletch

There's no way that England can risk an Australia win in any shape or form so had to put it a bit out of sight. 2-0 with 3 to play would be game over. They'll be hoping to give themselves a chance today and if not Smith may not be there for the next test.
Not sure 250 in 50 is really giving them much of a chance. If they look comfortable at any point you can just start taking time out of the game and bowl to ridiculously defensive fields.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Not sure 250 in 50 is really giving them much of a chance. If they look comfortable at any point you can just start taking time out of the game and bowl to ridiculously defensive fields.
I think we're scared of Warner on a pitch that looks easy to bat on.

zing

Zingle balls

Wait till you hear about Chinaman bowlers..

Balljy

Agreed but that last 16 runs and an over less solidifies that. Warner is the important wicket for me - I know he's got zero form, but with him in Australia would keep the runs flowing, without him and no Smith the batting line-up isn't looking great.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
If Archer can keep his feet on the ground and is allowed to develop naturally he really can achieve anything he wants to, the natural talent and air of confidence is amazing in such a young and inexperienced player.
Love watching him bowl.

NinjaFletch

Concussion substitutes would be improved if the replacement player had to imitate the replaced batsman's mannerisms at the crease.

Edit: Not like that ffs Marnus