English cricket thread

NinjaFletch

:lol:
Only English fans are deluded enough to say that the majority of their test team is world class whilst they're getting walloped at home by a Smith less Aussie team. Christ.
The bowling attack is, and you'd have to be pretty one eyed to argue otherwise (with the exception of Wood who is a bizarre shout), but therein lies the problem even including whiteball form as @Rams must be he's only come up with two batsman.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
You've been hammering England since the start of the series, even defending David Warner.

Does seem like a bit of an agenda...
oh shit, how dare I express sympathy with a guy who lost his child due to miscarriage caused from stress etc when I should be calling him a cheat for a crime for which he has already been punished.

Yeah I'm the one with an agenda here.

KM

The bowling attack is, and you'd have to be pretty one eyed to argue otherwise (with the exception of Wood who is a bizarre shout), but therein lies the problem even including whiteball form as @Rams must be he's only come up with two batsman.
I said Anderson is world class. Broad is past his peak whilst Archer has only played two matches.

Rams has actually counted six players playing in this match as world class test players. There's no way Buttler or Bairstow are world class test players. There's a decent argument that Bairstow should be dropped.

JohnnyKills

It depends on the pitch. In the subcontinent pitch I would not have Anderson. Wood won't even make our 15 man squad let alone the starting line up. India's pace attack is pretty lethal which comprises of Bumrah, Shami and Ishant. Too difficult to drop anyone. Having said that I would definitely have Archer. He is damn good.

This would be my combined line up in subcontinent tracks
Rahul Aggarwal(opening is pretty debatable) Pujara Kohli Root Rahane Pant Ashwin Jadeja Bumrah Ishant

In Eng or Aus

Rahul Aggarwal Pujara Kohli Rahane/Root Stokes Pant Jadeja Ishant Archer Bumrah
Apologies, sent my original post without reading the last paragraph.

You're right about the majority of the team but come on mate, there's no debate about Rahane or Root...

Pant is great but can't see how he gets in ahead of Bairstow. And no way Ishant plays ahead of Broad or Anderson.

Also, surely you'd have Captain Mankad over Jadeja?

paulscholes18

Buttler. Bairstow. Stokes. Wood. Archer. aren't world class test players by any stretch of imagination. Broad is past his prime and whilst Joe Root is world class but he's at his best at number four and there's Virat Kohli and Steve Smith for that so he wouldn't get into India and Australia batting lineup.

Archer has played two test matches and both of them in England which always has been a test bowlers dream. Hold your horses about him being world class.
Root is best at 5 and would walk into Australia’s and India’s line up.

AshRK

Agreed on Anderson, but surely Stokes would walk in any team on any surface. All rounders are like gold dust and you could pick Stokes on his batting or bowling alone. And he’s an outstanding athlete and fielder.
Stokes is a tremendous athlete, probably the best in world cricket but I still think his batting looks a suspect especially playing spin. I don't think his bowling would cause that much trouble in Indian pitches. That's why I preferred to strengthen the batting by playing both Rahane and Root.

I don't think India's test team is also that great. Our opening situation is messy. A guy like Cook would just be ideal. Both of us have an issue with our keepers. I like Pant but he needs to value his wicket more but I would have him over Bairstow. Archer over Ishant in Indian pitches is another that I won't mind. Big fan of his. But I just don't see how others would fit.

freeurmind

weak willed
Can't see the Aussies dropping their captain mid series especially if they go 2-0 up. Who's the Aussie vice captain anyways?

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
oh shit, how dare I express sympathy with a guy who lost his child due to miscarriage caused from stress etc when I should be calling him a cheat for a crime for which he has already been punished.

+1

JohnnyKills

Are you saying that the stress of the miscarriage has caused Warner to act like an obnoxious bully for his entire career?

Also, are you suggesting that when someone has completed their punishment for a crime, they are no longer guilty of said crime? Is that how the world works now?

NinjaFletch

I said Anderson is world class. Broad is past his peak whilst Archer has only played two matches.

Rams has actually counted six players playing in this match as world class test players. There's no way Buttler or Bairstow are world class test players. There's a decent argument that Bairstow should be dropped.
Is anyone arguing with you about those two?

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Are you saying that the stress of the miscarriage has caused Warner to act like an obnoxious bully for his entire career?

Also, are you suggesting that when someone has completed their punishment for a crime, they are no longer guilty of said crime? Is that how the world works now?
So you have no forgiveness or empathy in your soul?

Sad.

AshRK

Apologies, sent my original post without reading the last paragraph.

You're right about the majority of the team but come on mate, there's no debate about Rahane or Root...

Pant is great but can't see how he gets in ahead of Bairstow. And no way Ishant plays ahead of Broad or Anderson.

Also, surely you'd have Captain Mankad over Jadeja?
Rahane for us in overseas condition have been really good. Funny his record in India is pretty crap. Root is a great batsmen and one can easily go for Root over Rahane, not much problem for me. Regarding Pant, I just replied to @Rams , I do think Pant has to improve but from what I have seen I would have him over Bairstow in tests. Bairstow has never managed to impress me in 5 day format. Just for x factor I would have Pant. Broad and Anderson would be ineffective in Indian tracks, just like how our own Ashwin seems to be less effective while playing in ENgland which is why I preferred Jadeja. In fact I would have Archer ahead of Ishant in Indian tracks too. Ishant in overseas has been pretty good. Surely a fit Anderson would play over Ishant.

KM

I didn't defend any of his previous behavior. I said his punishment was harsh. If you think that's defending him then that's upto to you and it's a pretty stupid opinion.

Secondly I used the wrong word there. Warner or Smith didn't commit a crime or something. They were caught changing the ball conditions something which Broad and Anderson has been found doing too but I don't see you calling them cheaters.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
How does this new guy qualify as a 'like for like' replacement for Smith?! They need to either change the wording or dig up Bradman.
Back to back to back fifties for the new guy. Guess he was a like for like replacement after all!

KM

Is anyone arguing with you about those two?
Well why don't you read the previous page posts and tell me yourself? I was called bitter for world cup cos I suggested half of this English team isn't world class.

JohnnyKills

Rahane for us in overseas condition have been really good. Funny his record in India is pretty crap. Root is a great batsmen and one can easily go for Root over Rahane, not much problem for me. Regarding Pant, I just replied to @Rams , I do think Pant has to improve but from what I have seen I would have him over Bairstow in tests. Bairstow has never managed to impress me in 5 day format. Just for x factor I would have Pant. Broad and Anderson would be ineffective in Indian tracks, just like how our own Ashwin seems to be less effective while playing in ENgland which is why I preferred Jadeja. In fact I would have Archer ahead of Ishant in Indian tracks too. Ishant in overseas has been pretty good. Surely a fit Anderson would play over Ishant.
All fair points mate.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
:lol:
Only English fans are deluded enough to say that the majority of their test team is world class whilst they're getting walloped at home by a Smith less Aussie team. Christ.
That’s because the top order batting is so week!

NinjaFletch

Well why don't you read the previous page posts and tell me yourself? I was called bitter for world cup cos I suggested half of this English team isn't world class.
Why don't you?

Rams suggested they were, nobody agreed with him, and you replied to a post where I said even if you're being as generous as Rams was and including white ball form, the fact you can only name 3 'world class' batsmen is England's problem.

Telling us all again that Bairstow and Buttler aren't world class is a bit redundant. Some of us would have dropped them after Ireland.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I do agree with it. I think a lot of coaches are just glorified cheer leaders. Look at Ravi Shastri for India, I seriously doubt if he has capabilities to improve any young player and neither does he come across as someone who has good tactical knowledge of the game. Mike Hesson seems to be very good at that and that is why I was a bit disappointed Indian board did not get him.
Quite right. I do realise that there are batting and bowling coaches. But as you rightly say, where is the improvement.
We have lost Alistair Cook and his replacements have been a disaster. And we have been incredibly fortunate to get Archer to improve our bowling capability.

The thing that I struggle with is the fact that in limited overs cricket, our batsmen, by and large are able to score quickly and score runs including Root and Buttler.
Quite frankly it has been embarrassing and something has to change.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I’m at edgebaston for the T20 tonight and the atmosphere here on a Friday is always awesome :lol:

JohnnyKills

Why don't you?

Rams suggested they were, nobody agreed with him, and you replied to a post where I said even if you're being as generous as Rams was and including white ball form, the fact you can only name 3 'world class' batsmen is England's problem.

Telling us all again that Bairstow and Buttler aren't world class is a bit redundant. Some of us would have dropped them after Ireland.
Leave him be mate. No point

KM

Why don't you?

Not sure that seems to be the case here. Was called bitter about world cup when I said they along with two or three more in your current test xi aren't world class

AshRK

Quite right. I do realise that there are batting and bowling coaches. But as you rightly say, where is the improvement.
We have lost Alistair Cook and his replacements have been a disaster. And we have been incredibly fortunate to get Archer to improve our bowling capability.

The thing that I struggle with is the fact that in limited overs cricket, our batsmen, by and large are able to score quickly and score runs including Root and Buttler.
Quite frankly it has been embarrassing and something has to change.
The biggest complain I have is the body language. Considering you guys just won the biggest competition in the World cricket, I expect a better body language especially when things are down. Root is looking like a lost child. Buttler, Roy and Bairstow look like they could care little about losing. Stokes is trying but he cannot do everything. To be fair the most motivated player for you has been Broad and he wasn't part of the WC winning squad.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Horrible listening to Thorpe blowing in the breeze trying to explain this on TMS. I hope Root is facing the music on another broadcast.

JohnnyKills

The biggest complain I have is the body language. Considering you guys just won the biggest competition in the World cricket, I expect a better body language especially when things are down. Root is looking like a lost child. Buttler, Roy and Bairstow look like they could care little about losing. Stokes is trying but he cannot do everything. To be fair the most motivated player for you has been Broad and he wasn't part of the WC winning squad.
Agree Ash. Root doesn't seem a natural captain does he. Tbf Kohli doesn't either. There aren't many going around.

KM

Horrible listening to Thorpe blowing in the breeze trying to explain this on TMS. I hope Root is facing the music on another broadcast.
Why is Root getting so much heat?

Bayliss seems to be the moron here who's changed the teams best batsman position to accommodate someone else.

NinjaFletch

Labuschagne does look absolute quality to be fair. How did he not start the series?
Him, Kohli, and to an extent Smith (despite the idiosyncrasies of his game) have shown in the last two summers how relatively simple your game plan needs to be to score runs in batting in England.

Put the expansive shots away, leave the ball well, and put away the bad ball when bowlers overpitch on your pads or drop short. You have to be disciplined, occupy the crease, acknowledge that the bowler will beat you, and look to bat time. Even then, you still might get a good ball and get out cheaply, but that's the game; that's been test match batting in England for a hundred years and it hasn't change in the past 5. All this claptrap about how hard it has been to bat over the past few years has been a direct result of people trying to find excuses for an England side run by a bloke who doesn't understand how to play test cricket in this country.