English cricket thread

AshRK

Agree Ash. Root doesn't seem a natural captain does he. Tbf Kohli doesn't either. There aren't many going around.
Kohli in limited overs is bang average. I don't mind him in tests considering our success rate. Still I never rate Kohli the captain, anyways there is more to do with that and I don't want to make this thread about that. But one thing Kohli does well is always have a positive body language. Do you think anyone else can do a better job for you guys. How about Stokes?

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Why is Root getting so much heat?

Bayliss seems to be the moron here who's changed the teams best batsman position to accommodate someone else.
Root just isn't a good captain and on top of that whether he bats 3 or 4 seems to make no difference, he's regressed as a batsman since he's become captain. I think he averages 16 or something off of balls that would hit his stumps since 2016.

JohnnyKills

Kohli in limited overs is bang average. I don't mind him in tests considering our success rate. Still I never rate Kohli the captain, anyways there is more to do with that and I don't want to make this thread about that. But one thing Kohli does well is always have a positive body language. Do you think anyone else can do a better job for you guys. How about Stokes?
Not sure what @NinjaFletch and @ArmchairCritic say but I can't see it being Stokes. He has too much responsibility already.

Get the feeling they're desperate for Buttler to step up but he's not doing it with the bat at the moment is he.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The biggest complain I have is the body language. Considering you guys just won the biggest competition in the World cricket, I expect a better body language especially when things are down. Root is looking like a lost child. Buttler, Roy and Bairstow look like they could care little about losing. Stokes is trying but he cannot do everything. To be fair the most motivated player for you has been Broad and he wasn't part of the WC winning squad.
That is a very good point. In hindsight, this was probably the worst time to play a very well drilled and highly motivated Australian side.
And well done to them. It is perfectly clear that they wanted it much more than this England team.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Root just isn't a good captain and on top of that whether he bats 3 or 4 seems to make no difference, he's regressed as a batsman since he's become captain. I think he averages 16 or something off of balls that would hit his stumps since 2016.
I personally think all the test captains are pretty meh these days.

However I think criticism of his batting is far too much. He's surrounded by batsman who are not just good test players. He's not Smith who can score centuries every damn time but he's a very good batsman. Not sure why he was the one to change his position to accommodate someone like Denly.

JohnnyKills

Him, Kohli, and to an extent Smith (despite the idiosyncrasies of his game) have shown in the last two summers how relatively simple your game plan needs to be to score runs in batting in England.

Put the expansive shots away, leave the ball well, and put away the bad ball when bowlers overpitch on your pads or drop short. You have to be disciplined, occupy the crease, acknowledge that the bowler will beat you, and look to bat time. Even then, you still might get a good ball and get out cheaply, but that's the game; that's been test match batting in England for a hundred years and it hasn't change in the past 5. All this claptrap about how hard it has been to bat over the past few years has been a direct result of people trying to find excuses for an England side run by a bloke who doesn't understand how to play test cricket in this country.
Yep. Who are we going to get as coach though? Gillespie maybe?

ArmchairCritic

I personally think all the test captains are pretty meh these days.

However I think criticism of his batting is far too much. He's surrounded by batsman who are not just good test players. He's not Smith who can score centuries every damn time but he's a very good batsman. Not sure why he was the one to change his position to accommodate someone like Denly.
What about the criticism about his batting is too much? He's clearly not the batsman he used to be and taking the captaincy off of him might enable him to rediscover his form. That's all anyone is saying here.

AshRK

Not sure what @NinjaFletch and @ArmchairCritic say but I can't see it being Stokes. He has too much responsibility already.

Get the feeling they're desperate for Buttler to step up but he's not doing it with the bat at the moment is he.
You are right about Stokes already having too much responsibilities. Honestly I am not too sure with Buttler. Broad could be a decent stop gap captain for a year. Maybe by then the likes of Buttler or Bairstow can become more mature for Tests. However for now Root may be the best guy to have the captaincy.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Oh c'mon mate. Your middle order has hardly performed too! This isn't a 112 pitch.
Beside the fact that middle order keeps getting exposed to the new ball against one of the best bowling attacks in recent years, before the series started they’d hardly played any red ball cricket all summer thanks to the World Cup and are under cooked. This is still the same England side that thrashed India last summer.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Beside the fact that middle order keeps getting exposed to the new ball against one of the best bowling attacks in recent years, before the series started they’d hardly played any red ball cricket all summer thanks to the World Cup and are under cooked. This is still the same England side that thrashed India last summer.
Nah. No Anderson. I suspect England would have won atleast one test had he been playing. He's a monster in these conditions.

ArmchairCritic

They did make Stokes vice-captain again ahead of the series and he is usually one of the guys that stands up when things are getting tough. Rory Burns is the only guy who actually has any kind of a CV as a captain in this side.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
..and England must mentally exhausted after the World Cup but the same could be said about the aussies.

JohnnyKills

Yeah but we got lucky in that series didn't we. The conditions were totally in our favour and we won every toss. Not sure that series helped us in the long term - feels like it papered over a few cracks that needed exposing.

JohnnyKills

They did make Stokes vice-captain again ahead of the series and he is usually one of the guys that stands up when things are getting tough. Rory Burns is the only guy who actually has any kind of a CV as a captain in this side.
Yeah that's an interesting shout. Wouldn't mind them having a punt on Burns tbh.

JohnnyKills

You are right about Stokes already having too much responsibilities. Honestly I am not too sure with Buttler. Broad could be a decent stop gap captain for a year. Maybe by then the likes of Buttler or Bairstow can become more mature for Tests. However for now Root may be the best guy to have the captaincy.
Can't see them giving it to Broad. Don't think we've given it to a bowler in my lifetime. Plus you can bet he'd bowl himself all day and review every call off his bowling. Even if the batsman hit it for six.

AshRK

Can't see them giving it to Broad. Don't think we've given it to a bowler in my lifetime. Plus you can bet he'd bowl himself all day and review every call off his bowling. Even if the batsman hit it for six.
Thinking of that. Has there been any fast bowler who has made a good captain. But honestly I cannot see him doing any worse than Root. At least taking the captaincy burden of Root may mean Root the batsmen may do well.

ArmchairCritic

Thinking of that. Has there been any fast bowler who has made a good captain. But honestly I cannot see him doing any worse than Root. At least taking the captaincy burden of Root may mean Root the batsmen may do well.
The theory is bowlers get so invested in their bowling that they cannot be objective in field settings and executing plans.

JohnnyKills

Yeah I think that's what all the England-supporting posters in this thread think too Ash. It's not so much that Root is a bad captain - although he certainly hasn't been great - it's that we've robbed ourselves of our best player.

BTW I'd also replace Kohli with Rohit as captain if I was an Indian selector, but that's a different debate entirely :)

NinjaFletch

I probably would go Buttler, but it's not an easy choice at all. In absolute terms I haven't been particularly impressed, but in relative terms I think only Woakes (yes, I know) averages more than him since he's come into the side. He is, by the very low standards England have set over the past year, pretty secure. Only Stokes is probably more so.

The problem for Burns, for me, is that he averages under 30 still and two tests ago people would have dropped him. I like him and I like how he approaches the game opening the batting, but he needs to get his feet under the table first.

Buttler might not be the long term answer, but if we get two years out of him where he oversees a change of culture for the side (a la Paine, but more about remembering how to bat rather than how not to be cnuts) then hopefully the picture sans Bayliss will have settled down a bit.

AshRK

Yeah I think that's what all the England-supporting posters in this thread think too Ash. It's not so much that Root is a bad captain - although he certainly hasn't been great - it's that we've robbed ourselves of our best player.

BTW I'd also replace Kohli with Rohit as captain if I was an Indian selector, but that's a different debate entirely :)
In limited overs absolutely. Kohli right now has too much power and that is not correct.

JohnnyKills

I probably would go Buttler, but it's not an easy choice at all. In absolute terms I haven't been particularly impressed, but in relative terms I think only Woakes (yes, I know) averages more than him since he's come into the side. He is, by the very low standards England have set over the past year, pretty secure. Only Stokes is probably more so.

The problem for Burns, for me, is that he averages under 30 still and two tests ago people would have dropped him. I like him and I like how he approaches the game opening the batting, but he needs to get his feet under the table first.

Buttler might not be the long term answer, but if we get two years out of him where he oversees a change of culture for the side (a la Paine, but more about remembering how to bat rather than how not to be cnuts) then hopefully the picture sans Bayliss will have settled down a bit.
Completely agree. Plus hopefully the captaincy will bring out the best in him. As you say, Burns has played a couple of innings and he's been about as convincing as Boris Johnson's speechwriter.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Stokes, Archer/Wood, Anderson would surely for India and possibly Root lower down the order. For Australia Stokes, Root, Bairstow/Buttler, Anderson, Archer/Wood.
You are saying this based on reputation. On current form, they would not.

And you can’t blame the schedule for the poor performances. It is what it is.

Their problem is they have chosen to focus on T20 and IPL. Else they could have spent the spring preparing for test cricket.

Last edited:

ArmchairCritic

You are saying this based on reputation. On current form, they would not.

And you can’t blame the schedule for the poor performances. It is what it is.

Their problem is they have chosen to focus on T20 and IPL. Else they could have spent the spring preparing for test cricket.
On this subject, they scheduled the last set of County Championship games in the middle of the T20 tournament :lol:.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Labuschagne does look absolute quality to be fair. How did he not start the series?
Even if England manage to win this game, they are going to run into a brick wall if Smith and Labuschagne can get in and bat together. Can see them putting on massive partnerships together.

Despite Archer and Pattinson heroics, Labuschagne is my MoM so far.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
..and England must mentally exhausted after the World Cup but the same could be said about the aussies.
It’s no excuse. Ditto India/WI just started a series, Bangladesh/Sri Lanka just completed an ODI series.

And like you’ve also said, Australia are also here!

Am very impressed at Australia bowler management and how strict they’ve been. Everyone is desperate to see Starc play, yet management are ensuring he is properly rested. They rested Siddle in this game, Pattinson in last game, etc etc. Whereas England are flogging Archer, Woakes and Stokes.

JohnnyKills

Even if England manage to win this game, they are going to run into a brick wall of Smith and Labuschagne can get in and bat together. Can see them putting on massive partnerships together.

Despite Archer and Pattinson heroics, Labuschagne is my MoM so far.
He's been outstanding.

ArmchairCritic

It’s no excuse. Ditto India/WI just started a series, Bangladesh/Sri Lanka just completed an ODI series.

And like you’ve also said, Australia are also here!

Am very impressed at Australia bowler management and how strict they’ve been. Everyone is desperate to see Starc play, yet management are ensuring he is properly rested. They rested Siddle in this game, Pattinson in last game, etc etc. Whereas England are flogging Archer, Woakes and Stokes.
England were effectively involved in 4 knockout games including a massively intense final. It was the culmination of several years of planning and they were under pressure to produce. Australia might have been in the same tournament but I do not think they experienced the same pressure.

It is noticeable however how much planning Australia have done for this tour and how they have guys like Bancroft, Head, Labuschagne, Pattinson, Siddle etc who have played a lot of county cricket in their side. As many have said England play like tests are not their biggest priority.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
England were effectively involved in 4 knockout games including a massively intense final. It was the culmination of several years of planning and they were under pressure to produce. Australia might have been in the same tournament but I do not think they experienced the same pressure.

It is noticeable however how much planning Australia have done for this tour and how they have guys like Bancroft, Head, Labuschagne, Pattinson, Siddle etc who have played a lot of county cricket in their side. As many have said England play like tests are not their biggest priority.
All of that is true, but it should have been planned for, like Australia as you have described.

England de-prioritised test cricket and now suffering for that. I dont think it’s a worthy excuse to hide behind, they can’t claim to be better because they are tired.

AJ10

Couldn't time a simple defensive shot few weeks ago and now Moeen is smashing everything perfectly.

Brilliant stuff.

NinjaFletch

It's a nice theory, but I'm not sure we've seen much to suggest this summer has been an aberration for England. Our performance has been par for the course, the bowlers have coped fine and the batsmen haven't (bar Stokes, who had more reason than most to have a hangover) I think it's just a convenient excuse (or false memory perhaps?) for how shit the test side really are. About the only difference is that there hasn't been much to speak of in terms of lower order runs.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Pleased he's playing again, so soon. When he was dropped he was saying he wanted a break from cricket but I guess he decided smashing Warks around sounded more fun.
I’m just leaving the ground now and was one of those batting performances that makes me love him. Granted this isn’t against an international level bowling attack. We made that run chase look easy.

He was bowling medium pacers earlier in the week:

:lol:

Don’t remind me we are an awful test side

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Been very impressed with how Labuschagne has handled himself & played under the pressure.

Aussies should replace Paine with Carey. He might be the captain, but he’s not good enough.

For all the strides england have made in limited overs cricket, they’re going backwards in the Test format.

jungledrums

Are you saying that the stress of the miscarriage has caused Warner to act like an obnoxious bully for his entire career?

Also, are you suggesting that when someone has completed their punishment for a crime, they are no longer guilty of said crime? Is that how the world works now?
Sorry, what fecking crime was committed? The hypocrisy is remarkable. Virtually every nation has been found guilty of it - many involving foreign objects on-field. It’s a horrible thing to do - that much is undeniable. But get the feck over it unless you similarly hate any other cricketers found guilty of it - including your own lot. No ‘crime’ was committed, and the punishment was astonishingly harsh - look at the past. This set a new precedent. Continue hating Warner, just don’t act so bitter - it’s a hideous quality.

ArmchairCritic

It's a nice theory, but I'm not sure we've seen much to suggest this summer has been an aberration for England. Our performance has been par for the course, the bowlers have coped fine and the batsmen haven't (bar Stokes, who had more reason than most to have a hangover) I think it's just a convenient excuse (or false memory perhaps?) for how shit the test side really are. About the only difference is that there hasn't been much to speak of in terms of lower order runs.
I'm not suggesting the World Cup is the driving factor here. It's probably worth <1% in the overall scheme of things.

ArmchairCritic

I would love to know how many first class games outside of tests this team has played in recent years. Burns and Denly will have played a fair bit but outside of that you've got a batting lineup that is having to create confidence and rhythm by playing in tests all the time. It's only going to get worse with the advent of the Hundred.

Last edited: