English cricket thread

AJ10

Just Brilliant.

As for the Aussies I hope these cnuts finally play Starc, only bowler I want to see from them.

oh and :lol:

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Ashes highlights on Sky Sports at 8pm. I wish Sky would develop the technology to download programs straight into my mind.

Traub

Ashes highlights on Sky Sports at 8pm. I wish Sky would develop the technology to download programs straight into my mind.
People would still complain about the price though

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I really don't see it for Roy, even 4 seems too high for me.

The simple fact is that your 4 (especially in this England side) is going to be facing the new ball quite a lot of the time. There's nothing to suggest he's got the game to cope with it, and if you drop him down to 6 then you already have Stokes, Buttler, Bairstow, and even probably Pope who should be ahead of him.

Admit it was a mistake, chalk it up to experience and be thankful that it hasn't cost us the Ashes.

I'd keep Denly at 4 for now for the simple reason that he scored runs, but even in doing so I thought it was the nail in the coffin for him as a test player. He's got a tremendous heart, and stuck with it grimly, but his technique against the short ball is so woeful it's bordering on dangerous. Long term, Pope needs to get up the order and make that number 4 slot his.
Denly showed a lot of heart but he should not occupy the prime slot if he's in the team. He came in as a sticking plaster opener and he's somehow ended up in the prime slot. I agree that as valuable as his innings was, it showed ultimately that he's never going to be test match standard. I also think that only 2 of Bairstow, Buttler and Roy should be in the team at any given time.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
England showing what they can do if their middle order is given a chance. Protect them from the new ball and they’re lethal. Stokes is just an phenomenal cricketer. He bowled brilliantly this match and then the next day produced one of the greatest innings in test history. Not quite as good as his double century in South Africa, but still an extraordinary effort especially considering the way got out the first innings, that he’d hardly scored a run the first 70 or so balls and the way he just went for the kill once he ran out of partners. As for Australia, it’s a brilliant bowling attack you sense they are vulnerable if you can bat long enough because they only have 4 front line bowlers. They looked tired today.

ArmchairCritic

Just read that last 72 runs after Leach came in came of 44 balls faced. In an innings which took 56 balls for its first 2 runs. :lol:

Stokes can bat in whatever format and game situation that is required of him. And the way he can switch between gears and styles is astonishing. And he’ll get better and better.

On current form, the most complete batsman is world cricket right now.
When he first came back into the team after the Bristol incident I felt he was cautious to a fault and he really wasn't batting like himself. His 2nd innings at Lord's and his innings today married that bloody-mindedness with the brutality that was always in his game. Ridiculous that Buttler started the series batting above him.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
England showing what they can do if their middle order is given a chance. Protect them from the new ball and they’re lethal.
It was just Stokes. Bairstow's 36 was obviously necessary but it's also just 10% of the innings.

JohnnyKills

When he first came back into the team after the Bristol incident I felt he was cautious to a fault and he really wasn't batting like himself. His 2nd innings at Lord's and his innings today married that bloody-mindedness with the brutality that was always in his game. Ridiculous that Buttler started the series batting above him.
Yeah it seems like he's finding the perfect combo doesn't it.

Really hope we don't get suckered into giving him the captaincy when Root steps down. Don't see him as the sort of bloke who'll suit captaincy and it could have a detrimental effect on his game. Just let him get on with being the star player.

JohnnyKills

Denly showed a lot of heart but he should not occupy the prime slot if he's in the team. He came in as a sticking plaster opener and he's somehow ended up in the prime slot. I agree that as valuable as his innings was, it showed ultimately that he's never going to be test match standard. I also think that only 2 of Bairstow, Buttler and Roy should be in the team at any given time.
He played a quality innings in this game but you do wonder about his long-term role. I'd have him as opener until we find a long-term solution.

Last edited:

ArmchairCritic

Yeah it seems like he's finding the perfect combo doesn't it.

Really hope we don't get suckered into giving him the captaincy when Root steps down. Don't see him as the sort of bloke who'll suit captaincy and it could have a detrimental effect on his game. Just let him get on with being the star player.
He puts so much in emotionally it would be stupid to throw the captaincy in on top of that. He leads by example and that is enough.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Just read that last 72 runs after Leach came in came of 44 balls faced. In an innings which took 56 balls for its first 2 runs. :lol:

Stokes can bat in whatever format and game situation that is required of him. And the way he can switch between gears and styles is astonishing. And he’ll get better and better.

On current form, the most complete batsman is world cricket right now.
Is that current form 2 months? Ridiculous thing to say with people like Kohli, Taylor still playing.

Brilliant innings from Stokes non the less.

DOTA

Is that current form 2 months? Ridiculous thing to say with people like Kohli, Taylor still playing.

Brilliant innings from Stokes non the less.
Stokes is an overexcited shout. Taylor is a bloody weird one.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Stokes is an overexcited shout. Taylor is a bloody weird one.
Taylor has been very underrated, sadly. He's been amazingly consistent in both formats for the last 3-4 years.

Stokes, I didn't rate him that highly until very recently because I thought he was a typical English batsman who would only perform when the going is easy. In the real pressure situations where they were either chasing or playing on a difficult pitch, he would not come up with the goods. I still remember just how bad he looked in the CT semi-final.

Then he played one really good innings when England had lost wickets chasing a big score against Pakistan in the ODI series before the World Cup, I was surprised by how well he chased that. Then ofcourse the World Cup final innings, though it had a lot of luck for him, showed his very strong mental strength in that he didn't throw it way and took it till the end.

Very improved cricketer this last year. Fantastic stuff, and lets not underrate his bowling. He is a fantastic test match bowler when reverse swing comes into play.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Saw them on channel 5 at 7 and watching on sky after that
I'm fuming. They said during the Spurs game that they were on at 8pm and my virgin planner says its on now but instead I'm watching 3 old men talking.

fergieisold

Tests will always be the best supported cricketing event in this country, they don't need to do anything other than let kids watch players like Archer, Stokes, Smith, Cummins etc. every summer.
Brilliant comment, I’m primarily football now but grew up as a kid watching test cricket in the summer. I played it off the back off that until I grew a little older and had the usual life shit take over.

I took a long holiday this summer as a 30+ yr old and watched the cricket...it’s been amazing so far! I loved the World Cup win, but today beat it for me! Reminded me of being a kid!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Wondered what this was about while watching on TV. Now I know.

Hilarious!

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Its on sky sports ashes now, one hour later than advertised.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Best test innings ever for me - the context and the mixture of defence and attack.. the quality of the bowling attack/conditions favouring the bowlers. Just sensational.

DOTA

I thought it was Southport.
Liverpool, Blackpool and Southport are the three I know of but I was of the belief they played more at Liverpool than the others.

They played quite a few at Liverpool the year they won the league, as Old Trafford was being renovated.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
What a day's play. Got to lunch and England looked like they were in with a chance, after lunch it all fell apart, and then just stunning stuff to close - a real roller coaster. Had the family round for a barbecue in the sun but none of us moved from the telly for the last hour of the game. Brilliant. And we still had plenty of time to fire up the barbecue afterwards - perfect timing.

What about leach hanging around like a ...leach
And that magnificent one he scored?
It was great. I said to my brother that it was almost disappointing that he scored one, because that would have to have been the greatest duck innings ever. Maybe it's one of the all time great one run innings, but that doesn't quite have the same ring to it. Like one of the commentators said - he's going to be remembered in pub trivia games for a long time. A hero against Ireland as well - what a summer he's had.

He didn't get MOTM (for obvious reasons) but:
:D

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
moment the game was lost. Amazing photo!

Great photo.

Poor decision again from the umpires. But that’s why you have DRS to overturn those kinds of decisions. Served them right for one of the worst reviews I have ever seen.

NinjaFletch

Also, trust England to get themselves a national hero with a name that journalists are chronically incapable of including in a grammatically correct sentence. Both the BBC and ESPN seem to be of the opinion that there were two men called 'Stoke' who played that knock today.

Don't know why that's annoyed me, but when posters on here get it right is it too much to ask that people who get paid to write know how to use an apostrophe s?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Great photo.

Poor decision again from the umpires. But that’s why you have DRS to overturn those kinds of decisions. Served them right for one of the worst reviews I have ever seen.
Totally agreed.

DRS was conceived to eliminate obvious glaring mistakes, like inside edges onto pad or behind, or like the LBW they couldn't review. However some teams are now using it for marginal decisions or just in blind hope, like the one Paine took before. It was ridiculous, even I could tell that it pitched outside leg on first viewing from my sofa, and even if it was a marginal call (it wasn't), umpires call was not out, so it wouldn't have stood.

When you abuse the DRS system, you leave yourself open for what happened. Abit like crying wolf one too many times. I have no sympathy for Australia on this account.

ArmchairCritic

As if this and the World Cup final happened within a 6 weeks of one another.

Australia were so methodical and disciplined all test in the field and they went to shit for 1 hour and lost the game as a result. Another incredible image:

Last edited:

jungledrums

Totally agreed.

DRS was conceived to eliminate obvious glaring mistakes, like inside edges onto pad or behind, or like the LBW they couldn't review. However some teams are now using it for marginal decisions or just in blind hope, like the one Paine took before. It was ridiculous, even I could tell that it pitched outside leg on first viewing from my sofa, and even if it was a marginal call (it wasn't), umpires call was not out, so it wouldn't have stood.

When you abuse the DRS system, you leave yourself open for what happened. Abit like crying wolf one too many times. I have no sympathy for Australia on this account.
Yeah no one should have sympathy, it’s their fault. But to be fair, who’s asking for sympathy? The obvious, glaring mistake you speak of is, arguably, the decision Wilson makes to not give Stokes out.

I don’t want to make the entire conversation about the decision, or reduce England’s performance to luck, but Wilson’s move there seems inexplicable. He must have had some doubt in his mind... it was plum from all angles. Knowing England have two reviews left, I find it odd he gave that not out so decisively. Anyone else?

Aus have no one to blame but themselves, let me be clear. I’m not at all saying they were robbed, just that the ump made an interesting decision. And yes, he wouldn’t have had to make any decision had Aus used their reviews correctly. Anyway... all a little moot now, but I think worth reflecting on.

Edit: sorry, realised we both said (partly) the same thing.

jungledrums

Totally agreed.

Also, just one more thing to add... Wilson’s job is to officiate the game in the best manner possible. All that is (or should be) going through his mind is how he can ensure the correct decision is made. He’s not there to pass judgement on the usage of reviews. With that said, if he gives benefit of the doubt to the team without the review left, he would ensure the correct decision is made, no?

NinjaFletch

· · · · · · · · 1 · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · (1lb) · · 1 · · · (1w) · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · 1 · · · · · · 4 · · · · · · 2 · 4 · · · 2 · 2 · · · · 1 · · · 4 1 6 · 1 · · · · · · · 1 · · · · · · · · 1 · · · 1 · · · · · 4 · 1 · 1 · 4 · 1 · ·* · · 4 · · · · 1 · · · · 2 · · · · 1 · · · · · · · · 1 2 · · · 1 4 · 1 · · · · 6 · 1 · · · (1w) 2 1 6 · · · 6 1 · 1 2 · 6 2 1 4 6 6 2 1 · · · · · 4 4 1 · · 6 · · · 4

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Wish the cricket wasn't more exciting than United but here were are

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Also, just one more thing to add... Wilson’s job is to officiate the game in the best manner possible. All that is (or should be) going through his mind is how he can ensure the correct decision is made. He’s not there to pass judgement on the usage of reviews. With that said, if he gives benefit of the doubt to the team without the review left, he would ensure the correct decision is made, no?
Wouldn't that encourage teams to use their reviews earlier to get favourable decisions from the umpires?

ArmchairCritic

· · · · · · · · 1 · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · (1lb) · · 1 · · · (1w) · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · 1 · · · · · · 4 · · · · · · 2 · 4 · · · 2 · 2 · · · · 1 · · · 4 1 6 · 1 · · · · · · · 1 · · · · · · · · 1 · · · 1 · · · · · 4 · 1 · 1 · 4 · 1 · ·* · · 4 · · · · 1 · · · · 2 · · · · 1 · · · · · · · · 1 2 · · · 1 4 · 1 · · · · 6 · 1 · · · (1w) 2 1 6 · · · 6 1 · 1 2 · 6 2 1 4 6 6 2 1 · · · · · 4 4 1 · · 6 · · · 4
Went from Tavaré to Pietersen within the same innings. Some range that.