English cricket thread

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
feck I wish this was on terrestrial TV.

Those two Ben Stokes knocks will do more for the legacy of this game than any number of pointless franchise T20(-20) matches.
Tests will always be the best supported cricketing event in this country, they don't need to do anything other than let kids watch players like Archer, Stokes, Smith, Cummins etc. every summer.

Last edited:

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Australia must have a bit of a complex about big hitting English all rounders by now.

ArmchairCritic

Anyone know of any way I could watch an entire day's play again if I so pleased?

NinjaFletch

Tests will always be the best supported cricketing event in this country, they don't need to anything other than let kids watch players like Archer, Stokes, Smith, Cummins etc. every summer.
Yep, it's absolutely clinically absurd from the ECB. When the hundred flops and the ECB bankrupt themselves the inquest into the sports governance is not going to be kind.

AshRK

Said it during the WC, This england side is very likable. Wonderful win and hats off to stokes. He is the cricketer of the year. Taking the excitement for cricket to another level.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Never have I witnessed such an amazing one man performance. Utterly incredible. Ben Stokes is absolutely charmed this summer. Mephistopheles awaits.

Only thing I can compare it to for lack of nails is Edgebaston 2005.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It felt really significant in a way that he was the one to get the run that tied it. Unsung hero.
Nah. Both Root and Stokes paid his huge credit in their speeches and no-one who saw the end will ever forget his contribution.

Has been brilliant (bowler and no 11) since he can into the side.

Last edited:

NinjaFletch

He was 2 off 66, he finished 135* off of 219.
I really hope this and Root's knock and Denly's knock aren't forgotten.

England won because Stokes is superhuman, but they were still (just about) in the game because they treated it like a test innings and batted properly. If England are going to win the Ashes that innings serves as a blueprint for how we have to bat in the next four innings.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands

England won because Stokes is superhuman, but they were still (just about) in the game because they treated it like a test innings and batted properly. If England are going to win the Ashes that innings serves as a blueprint for how we have to bat in the next four innings.
They have to continue the approach hopefully. There aren't ready made test batsmen to come in so let's hope they watch what Stokes, Root and Denly did early on in their innings.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Lancs have made the blast quarters . The quarterfinals are during the Manchester test so where do lancs usually play as alternate home venue ?

ArmchairCritic

Yeah. I still think Denly should have opened. Imagine Roy coming in after the partnership Denly and Root had.

ArmchairCritic

I think its fair. However if you split his career in two, I'm betting he averages 40+ in the latter half. That innings goes with that insane 250 he got at Cape Town.
On the surface you look at the numbers (helped by his last 2 not outs) and probably think what is all the fuss about but he's England's most dependable cricketer. Brilliant spell with the ball to give England a chance, brilliant innings with the bat to take his team home.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
On the surface you look at the numbers (helped by his last 2 not outs) and probably think what is all the fuss about but he's England's most dependable cricketer. Brilliant spell with the ball to give England a chance, brilliant innings with the bat to take his team home.
I think you're forgetting how poor he was for his first three or four years. I remember when he couldn't get in double digits for about 5 or 6 test matches. Recently, though, hes been phenomenal.

I'll compare him to someone like Ishant Sharma who, for us, has been brilliant for a few years yet his bowling average is still 33. The numbers are normally fair.

JohnnyKills

What an innings from Stokes. A few more innings like that and we might be able to call him world-class :)

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Tests will always be the best supported cricketing event in this country, they don't need to do anything other than let kids watch players like Archer, Stokes, Smith, Cummins etc. every summer.
Test cricket is the Michelin star restaurant equivalent sport. It can only really be appreciated by serious fans who are willing to give it the time, debate and nuance that it requires to properly enjoy.

Test cricket doesn’t allow excuses or mercy for it’s participants. You have to be in the top 0.01% just to play, and even then, it’s the most complete examination of skill and character that exists in all of sport. Similar to the dedication required to create and sustain a Michelin star restaurant.

Stokes innings today was of 3 star Michelin restaurant quality. Chefs and cricketers who deliver such are not only the most talented but also the most hard working, fiercely competitive and with deep reserves of stamina. It’s not just the moment they deliver, it’s all the hours, sweat and tears invested before.

We won’t see many in our entire lifetimes.

JohnnyKills

Yep, completely agree. The grind-out last night was just as important as Stokes's blitz today. The Aussie bowlers' pace was down because we'd worn them down over the previous 100 overs.

ArmchairCritic

Yeah he's a superb commentator isn't he. Fair, warm and insightful.
Ponting: If Lyon flights one, he's going down the ground.
Next ball: Exact thing he's just said happens.

You could hear the captaincy cogs whirring around in his head as it was all happening. Same with Nasser. Paine was very poor in that final hour.

ArmchairCritic

Test cricket is the Michelin star restaurant equivalent sport. It can only really be appreciated by serious fans who are willing to give it the time, debate and nuance that it requires to properly enjoy.

Test cricket doesn’t allow excuses or mercy for it’s participants. You have to be in the top 0.01% just to play, and even then, it’s the most complete examination of skill and character that exists in all of sport. Similar to the dedication required to create and sustain a Michelin star restaurant.

Stokes innings today was of 3 star Michelin restaurant quality. Chefs and cricketers who deliver such are not only the most talented but also the most hard working, fiercely competitive and with deep reserves of stamina. It’s not just the moment they deliver, it’s all the hours, sweat and tears invested before.

We won’t see many in our entire lifetimes.
You know what makes that innings even crazier. He did it off the back of 24.2 over spell where he had a 4 ball break until Archer got cramp.

JohnnyKills

Ponting: If Lyon flights one, he's going down the ground.
Next ball: Exact thing he's just said happens.

You hear the captaincy cogs whirring around in his head as it was all happening. Same with Nasser. Paine was very poor in that final hour.
Yeah felt for Paine. His head completely went didn't it. Could be remembered as another Kim Hughes.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I make it Lyon averages 57 with the ball in the last two games, btw...

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
You know what makes that innings even crazier. He did it off the back of 24.2 over spell where he had a 4 ball break until Archer got cramp.
Yes! That in itself was beyond immense. As was his 50 ball defensive innings of penance last night.

Both combined reminded me of that crazy dude played by Paul Bettany who flagellated himself in the movie version of The Da Vinci Code.

It was Stokes self penance for the silly way he got out in first innings.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Just read that last 72 runs after Leach came in came of 44 balls faced. In an innings which took 56 balls for its first 2 runs. :lol:

Stokes can bat in whatever format and game situation that is required of him. And the way he can switch between gears and styles is astonishing. And he’ll get better and better.

On current form, the most complete batsman is world cricket right now.

NinjaFletch

Yeah. I still think Denly should have opened. Imagine Roy coming in after the partnership Denly and Root had.
I really don't see it for Roy, even 4 seems too high for me.

The simple fact is that your 4 (especially in this England side) is going to be facing the new ball quite a lot of the time. There's nothing to suggest he's got the game to cope with it, and if you drop him down to 6 then you already have Stokes, Buttler, Bairstow, and even probably Pope who should be ahead of him.

Admit it was a mistake, chalk it up to experience and be thankful that it hasn't cost us the Ashes.

I'd keep Denly at 4 for now for the simple reason that he scored runs, but even in doing so I thought it was the nail in the coffin for him as a test player. He's got a tremendous heart, and stuck with it grimly, but his technique against the short ball is so woeful it's bordering on dangerous. Long term, Pope needs to get up the order and make that number 4 slot his.