English cricket thread

Djemba-Djemba

Was thinking the same thing.

If he's not our best keeper and he can't bat higher than 7, perhaps Foakes is the better bet?
Bairstows last 6 test innings in England are 0, 6, 0, 0, 18, 0.

He gets bowled constantly and I think it's pretty much universally agreed he isn't our best keeper.

I think he knows if he's just in the side as a pure batsmen he would be in trouble for making the side and that's why he wont give up the gloves.

ChrisNelson

Bairstows last 6 test innings in England are 0, 6, 0, 0, 18, 0.

He gets bowled constantly and I think it's pretty much universally agreed he isn't our best keeper.

I think he knows if he's just in the side as a pure batsmen he would be in trouble for making the side and that's why he wont give up the gloves.

I didn't realise he was in such poor form. I think the World Cup has maybe pulled the wool over a few peoples eyes. But that's over now and the England players should be playing like they need to earn their spots all over again.

This is however a general problem that England have had for quite some time now. It's a difficult team to get in to but once a player is bedded in, if they have a bad patch no one has the balls to drop/ rest them.

Stuart Broad is a good example, he's gone through regular patches where he can't buy a wicket and I've said why not send him back to his county for a couple of weeks, give someone else a chance and show him he's not invincible. But they keep playing him, and where's his motivation to get things right again if he knows he will never be dropped?

NinjaFletch

I didn't realise he was in such poor form. I think the World Cup has maybe pulled the wool over a few peoples eyes. But that's over now and the England players should be playing like they need to earn their spots all over again.

This is however a general problem that England have had for quite some time now. It's a difficult team to get in to but once a player is bedded in, if they have a bad patch no one has the balls to drop/ rest them.

Stuart Broad is a good example, he's gone through regular patches where he can't buy a wicket and I've said why not send him back to his county for a couple of weeks, give someone else a chance and show him he's not invincible. But they keep playing him, and where's his motivation to get things right again if he knows he will never be dropped?
He's basically had one good year in test cricket but is treated like an untouchable:

Matches, runs, average.

year 2012 5 196 32.66
year 2013 8 379 27.07
year 2014 1 18 9.00
year 2015 7 372 31.00
year 2016 17 1470 58.80
year 2017 11 652 34.31
year 2018 11 609 30.45
year 2019 4 110 18.33

ChrisNelson

I’d love it if Leach somehow banged out a huge score here :lol:
I think in a weird way Roy will be hoping the opposite because he will be desperate to get out there and score some runs!

I still fancy England from here, there should be runs available today due to the conditions, not just the playing conditions but the condition of the Ireland players who will tire very quickly in this heat!

Djemba-Djemba

Burns just doesn't look to have the right technique.

Why's he playing at that when it's so far away from his body? Didn't need to play at it.

Very very poor.

AJ10

Burns will struggle vs Aussie pace due to his weird technique. Wouldn't be surprised to see him edge it consistently vs Starc.

Leach has played a well disciplined innings so far.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Always worrying when our number 11 batsman has to show the rest how to play

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Burns will struggle vs Aussie pace due to his weird technique. Wouldn't be surprised to see him edge it consistently vs Starc.

Leach has played a well disciplined innings so far.
He is a walking wicket . Just a matter of how many games they give him before he gets dropped

NinjaFletch

He might make it as a destructive middle order batsman but yeah, I just can't see him opening.

Who else is there? Because Burns doesn't look an international cricketer.
Yep, counter attacking five or six, although England have already got tonnes of them. I just don't think Roy's got the judgement, or the temperament, to leave balls alone outside off. That's a pretty important skill for a test match opener.

Sibley seems a certainty at some point this summer. God knows who is partnering him, Burns's judgement outside off (and his propensity to twist the bat in his backswing and play across the line) is woeful for an opener.

paulscholes18

Couple of younger openers are have good seasons
Dom Sibley (23) 940 runs 62 Avg
Zak Crawley (21) 708 runs 41 avg

Djemba-Djemba

England just need to grind it out and the runs will be there as the day goes on.

It's going to be so difficult to bowl and field in this heat.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
There’s something about cricketers wearing glasses that I just live for

NinjaFletch

It is, unfortunately for him I don’t think it matters what he does with the bat he won’t start the first game in the ashes
He's opening mate.

More seriously, it's difficult to know how that lower order will be arranged. I assume the top four will be the same and Buttler and Stokes will both slot in at 5 and 6:

so

7: Bairstow and 11 Anderson are pretty nailed on. Archer and Wood are injured so that gives you 8,9,10 for three of Leach, Ali, Broad, Curran, Stone, Woakes. I'd assume that Stone will miss out and that Broad probably won't so Leach, Ali, Woakes, Curran. I'd imagine they'd go for Woakes, but even if they don't then Curran is a very handy batsman who is more than good enough to bat at 8.

All of which is a pretty long winded way of saying that I imagine who gets picked as a spinner can come down to who the better spinner is because there's plenty of batting there anyway (and Ali is in woeful form with the bat) and that is probably Leach.

Cloud7

During the West Indies test series one of the commentators mentioned that in test cricket he’s been the player bowled out the most in the last decade. Decade or some period of years, can’t remember which it was.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Bairstow isn't going to get dropped, best mates with the captain. It was bad enough trying to get him to bat higher up the order without the gloves.

AshRK

I think English selectors and their fans should be more patient with Roy in Tests. He is a classy batsmen and he might play reckless shits and get out but players like him are match winners in all formats and I would have him in the side. Again it might never work out and he might flop but he needs to be given proper chance in longer format before being judged.