English cricket thread

AJ10

Game over regardless of what smith does, the rest are too crap to bat for remaining overs.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
By all accounts Warner and Wade spent most of the day sledging.

Now if it was Smith or Labuschagne or Cummins doing the sledging I'd understand it because they all have the numbers to back it up.

But for Wade and especially Warner to be giving it large is hilarious. Warner is on course for the worst ever stats for an opener in a series in Test history for feck sake. What can he possibly be having a go at anyone else for?
Any idea what the sledges were? Thought Australia had eliminated that from their game?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Archer's batting has been a big disappointment this series given he was being touted as a potential allrounder.
Agreed. Not sure if he’s been terrible or if this is his actual level of ability.

From evidence, Leach has far better range of shots and values his wicket more.

I think he should be 10 or 11, but also that he will considerably improve within a few years.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Thanks.

@sammsky1 Not sure for certain. Think they were sledging Stokes about his Bristol nightclub fight .
Warner must have a very thick skin as he’d be crucified within 2 sentences given sandpaper and being Broad’s biatch, for it not to effect him. His form this series suggests he has been affected!

I hate Australia for this crap. It’s so unnecessary.

Last edited:

Djemba-Djemba

Warner must have a very thick skin as he’d be crucified within 2 sentences given sandpaper and being Broad’s biatch, for it not to effect him. His form this series suggests he has been affected!

I hate Australia for this crap. It’s no unnecessary.
They've really tried to curb it but it's impossible.

This is what they are, it's how they're brought up to play cricket. I'm amazed it took this long for the mask to slip.

Says a lot about Warner that even though he's had a humiliatingly bad series he still has the nerve to sledge. What a cnut.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
They've really tried to curb it but it's impossible.

This is what they are, it's how they're brought up to play cricket. I'm amazed it took this long for the mask to slip.

Says a lot about Warner that even though he's had a humiliatingly bad series he still has the nerve to sledge. What a cnut.
Yeah. Did you read the articles I posted after Headingley test on the ‘Good Bloke’ doctrine? Will take a generation before that is eliminated from their culture.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Cricket fans of a certain age will be very sad as David Gower enters the final hours of his public life (he will not be doing commentary on Sky after this final ashes test).

I fell in love with cricket because of how David Gower batted, have not seen a more more graceful and elegant batsman since and he remains my favourite I’ve seen.

As a boy, I’d practice his sumptuous cover drive in the garden and despite being RHB, batted left handed in the school team until the coach threatened to drop me :lol: I also loved how he captained England and his personality in general: genuine fanboy I was.

I’ve really enjoyed his commentary over the years as his intellect and good manners epitomised Cricket’s foundational values. He also provided a wonderful counter point to the bluster from Botham or Lloyd, and his post action analysis with Hussein and Atherton were as good as it gets.

When SAF retired, we lost access to his mind and personality. Same will happen after this test with Gower. Not entirely tragic as he has lived a life I can only dream of. But I’ll miss him a great deal.

Last edited:

zing

Zingle balls
Posters of a certain age will be very sad as David Gower enters the final hours of his public life (he will not be doing commentary on Sky after this final ashes test).

I fell in love with cricket because of how David Gower batted, have yet to see a more graceful and elegant batsman since and he remains my favourite I’ve seen.

As a young boy, I’d practice his sumptuous cover drive in the garden and despite being RHB, batted left handed in the school team until the coach threatened to drop me :lol: I also loved how he captained England his personality in general: genuine fanboy I was.

I’ve really enjoyed his commentary over the years as his intellect and good manners epitomised Cricket’s foundational values. He also provided a wonderful counter point to the blister from Botham or Lloyd, and his post match analysis with Hussein and Atherton were as good as it gets.

When SAF retired, we lost access to his mind and personality. Same will happen after this test. Not entirely tragic as he has lived a life I can only dream of. But I’ll miss him a great deal.
Won't he just sign with TMS or so?

Vaughan tweeted saying this is his last match - wonder if he's moving to Sky?

Vaughan gets a lot of vitriol - but he is an excellent analyst. I think he has a deliberately troll-ish Twitter persona which people hate but he's mostly on the WUM.

Skills

Snitch
Just a shame it's Broad getting all these wickets.

I was hoping I'd see the end of him pretty soon in an England shirt, can't stand him.

zing

Zingle balls
Last day of the series - been a fantastic series to watch despite some of the questionable batting on show.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Won't he just sign with TMS or so?

Vaughan gets a lot of vitriol - but he is an excellent analyst. I think he has a deliberately troll-ish Twitter persona which people hate but he's mostly on the WUM.
Agnew does a fantastic job as TMS anchorman, and is a similar presence and from same generation as Gower so not sure if both are suited as a double act. But if Gower can get a TMS slot, I’d tune in!

Agree on all points re Vaughan.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The value of ‘The Ashes’ is an increasingly irrelevant concept in world cricket, given it occurs far too often, and is so niche in its impact.

England drawing the test series against a superior Australia team would be a great result, and along with winning the ODI World Cup, make it a truly historic and memorable summer for the ages for England.

There is certainly critical work ahead for England’s test team, but it’s still a very competitive team, and with lots of talent coming through.

Hope the selectors use the next 12 months to give the likes of Burns, Denly, Pope, Sibley, Ali, Stone, Wood and a few others to opportunity to cement their place in a new team which is independent from the ODI and T20 teams. I still have hope for Hameed, though his inclusion would take 18-24 months.

Can see England competing well in this inaugural test series.

Last edited:

Last Channel5 one I think?
Seen Boycott tweet similar. Guess they are losing the highlights, maybe terrestrial is losing them permanently

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
‘The Ashes’ is an increasingly irrelevant concept in world cricket, given it occurs far too often, and is so niche in its impact.
Irrelevant concept in world cricket? What absolute nonsense. It’s a personal contest between two countries that has been running for nearly 140 years.

It transcends the traditional competitive cricketing calendar to being an event in it’s own right, essentially independent of and inconsequential to what other countries are doing despite statistics being accumulated towards and used for comparison with other test statistics, when the ashes are in play the only statistics that seems to matter are current and precious ashes series.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Irrelevant concept in world cricket? What absolute nonsense. It’s a personal contest between two countries that has been running for nearly 140 years.

It transcends the traditional competitive cricketing calendar to being an event in it’s own right, essentially independent of and inconsequential to what other countries are doing despite statistics being accumulated towards and used for comparison with other test statistics, when the ashes are in play the only statistics that seems to matter are current and precious ashes series.
You’ve simply confirmed what I wrote; as I said, irrelevant and niche because of all the facts that you mention.

Cricket has nearly a billion fans outside England and Australia, whom together only account for about 20m fans, many of whom are losing interest in test cricket.

Might be meaningful for England or Australia but don’t think many millennials and beyond in Africa or South Asia give two hoots about it in 21st Century.

Dan_F

You’ve simply confirmed what I wrote; as I said, irrelevant and niche because of all the facts that you mention.

Cricket has nearly a billion fans outside England and Australia, whom together only account for about 20m fans, many of whom are losing interest in test cricket.

Might be meaningful for England or Australia but don’t think many millennials and beyond in Africa or South Asia give two hoots about it in 21st Century.
Irrelevant is an interesting way of describing it. Would any cricket match outside of a World Cup have much interest for anyone other than the fans of those countries?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Irrelevant is an interesting way of describing it. Would any cricket match outside of a World Cup have much interest for anyone other than the fans of those countries?
Irrelevant’s meaning can only be in the context of relevant. Given the number of fans involved, it works for me.

I’d argue Pakistan vs India is much more relevant, including your own criteria, especially given the huge number of South Asian expats and subsequent lineage in UK, Australia, SE Asia, Middle East, South Africa, Windies

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Wade 100* and looking very comfortable, Cummings and tail to come.

Australia needs needs 167 to win?

Any chance?

zing

Zingle balls
Wade 100* and looking very comfortable, Cummings and tail to come.

Australia needs needs 167 to win?

Any chance?
Very very slim chance.. be interesting if they put on another 60 for this partnership.

Some chancey shots after the century, though.

Dan_F

Irrelevant’s meaning can only be in the context of relevant. Given the number of fans involved, it works for me.

I’d argue Pakistan vs India is much more relevant, including your own criteria.
I can’t given any criteria for relevant. I used yours that no millennials outside of the people with a connection to either country would watch it. Which I would also say is true for test matches between India and Pakistan.

The fact that you had to use the most watched game (due to population size) as your first example to show a bigger fixture says it all.

Outside of World Cups, in all sports, I highly doubt there’s many fixtures that are watched by most fans of the sport.

arnie_ni

Why is there a gap in the slip cordon with 160 run lead to the number 10.

Root just isn't a captain for me

zing

Zingle balls
Never understand the value of going down the wicket on day 4 or 5..

Wade seems awfully content for a guy whose team is nailed on to lose.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I can’t given any criteria for relevant. I used yours that no millennials outside of the people with a connection to either country would watch it. Which I would also say is true for test matches between India and Pakistan.

The fact that you had to use the most watched game (due to population size) as your first example to show a bigger fixture says it all.

Outside of World Cups, in all sports, I highly doubt there’s many fixtures that are watched by most fans of the sport.
What definition other than ‘most watched’ would you suggest to define relevant then?

I added an extra point re expats on Pakistan vs India, which would make that a bigger game than ashes. And not many people watch Ashes even in England or Australia, let alone outside these countries!

Like it or not, the Ashes is nowhere close to being the heartbeat of world cricket, especially in the era of world test series and T20. It’s an old and increasingly irrelevant piece of heritage.

BTW: I’ve followed England cricket team all my life and been to many ashes test matches in England.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Never understand the value of going down the wicket on day 4 or 5..

Wade seems awfully content for a guy whose team is nailed on to lose.
This is a weird Australian team, was a bit surprised at their images of celebration at Old Trafford.