English cricket thread

Cloud7

Aus should surrender as many runs as they can to Root quickly and let him get to his 50 so he’ll get out shortly after.

Djemba-Djemba

Seems very rare for Root to be out in the 20s.

He's either out early or between 50 and 100.

He's had a shit series for someone as good as he can be.

JohnnyKills

I think Burns has had an excellent series, especially when compared to the returns of literally everyone else at the top of the order.

Think he's got better as the series has gone on, too, even if his hundred was early.
Yep, burns has been our biggest plus of the series for me.

JohnnyKills

Warne is awful. He's just said Lyon should have brought the field in and stopped Denly getting an easy single and challenged him to come down the pitch to him even though Denly has hit Lyon down the ground for 3 boundaries doing exactly that. Something about match awareness according to Warne.
Yeah what does Warne know about spin bowling eh?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Jack Leach honestly looks to have a better and more secure defence than every other batsmen bar those you just mentioned.

It's been shocking.
Yep, from the Aus perspective, their tail end has looked far more assured than most of their top order as well :lol:
I think Burns has had an excellent series, especially when compared to the returns of literally everyone else at the top of the order.

Think he's got better as the series has gone on, too, even if his hundred was early.
Yeah he’s been possibly their most consistent performer with the bat I’d say?

Tony Banta

Last Man Standing champion 2023/24
3 2nd Innings 50’s in a row for Denly. Really needs to convert this half century. Test career on the line?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
3 2nd Innings 50’s in a row for Denly. Really needs to convert this half century. Test career on the line?
Nah I think his career is safe for now. Getting 50s against this quality of bowling attack isn’t easy and England openers in recent times have been shocking.

Tony Banta

Nah I think his career is safe for now. Getting 50s against this quality of bowling attack isn’t easy and England openers in recent times have been shocking.
He's probably safe for now, as you say. I just don’t think he’s the answer long term, to open though. Although I’m struggling to think who would replace him atm.

Sylar

David Gower swearing and the excuse of microphone issues was too funny

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Yeah what does Warne know about spin bowling eh?
Might as well not call them out then on any of their nonsense if you wanna use that as a metric for how good their analysis is. Warne's analysis is often partisan and lacks any depth of thought, he completely ignored what happened prior to that event. Even if Lyon floated it up, long-on was back and it was still an easy single. The last thing Australia want and have wanted all summer is England to score quickly.

NinjaFletch

He's probably safe for now, as you say. I just don’t think he’s the answer long term, to open though. Although I’m struggling to think who would replace him atm.
Yeah, I think he's done enough. I still don't think he's particularly good (I haven't watched today but his 50s were both pretty chancy), but it's abundantly clear he's got a big heart and can scrap it out with the best of them. That's probably more valuable to this England team right now than anything else.

ArmchairCritic

Yeah, I think he's done enough. I still don't think he's particularly good (I haven't watched today but his 50s were both pretty chancy), but it's abundantly clear he's got a big heart and can scrap it out with the best of them. That's probably more valuable to this England team right now than anything else.
Keep him at 3, bump Root down to 4.

NinjaFletch

Keep him at 3, bump Root down to 4.
Yeah, I think so too.

Sibley in to open. Denly to 3, Root to 4 and Pope for Bairstow with Buttler keeping (who I think has also just about done enough).

Then a straight shootout between Curran and Woakes for the third seamer slot.

If Denly has a tough winter then I'd think about Crawley at 3 for the next summer if he gets early season runs.

Ah, I forgot about Anderson. Guess I'd have Curran out of the side again then, but he'd be really unlucky to be dropped.

ArmchairCritic

England have to be careful here, Australia have an outside chance until England pass 380 I reckon. Smith doesn't have a fourth innings classic yet...

zing

Zingle balls
Warne is waxing about Buttler but this doesn't seem all that good an innings. Playing well away from his body, not great feet movement..

Making runs, though.

AJ10

Both openers will be gone within the first 10 overs, just need to get Smith/Marnus out and England Win.

Tony Banta

Tough chase but with Smith, anything’s possible.
Agreed, 380 should really be enough. Re Smith, His 80 in the first innings was his lowest score of the series, surely he is due a duck!

Acole9

Outstanding
Yep.

Wouldn't mind seeing something like this for the NZ series:

Burns, Sibley, Denly, Root, Stokes, Pope, Buttler (wk), Moeen, Archer, Broad, Stone
Surely Curran should be in with a shout, he's looked pretty good.

JohnnyKills

Surely Curran should be in with a shout, he's looked pretty good.
Yeah he's a dangerous bowler when it's swinging but he can look innocuous can't he. Still feel like his best route into the team is as a top 6 batsman who bowls.

Djemba-Djemba

By all accounts Warner and Wade spent most of the day sledging.

Now if it was Smith or Labuschagne or Cummins doing the sledging I'd understand it because they all have the numbers to back it up.

But for Wade and especially Warner to be giving it large is hilarious. Warner is on course for the worst ever stats for an opener in a series in Test history for feck sake. What can he possibly be having a go at anyone else for?

JohnnyKills

By all accounts Warner and Wade spent most of the day sledging.

Now if it was Smith or Labuschagne or Cummins doing the sledging I'd understand it because they all have the numbers to back it up.

But for Wade and especially Warner to be giving it large is hilarious. Warner is on course for the worst ever stats for an opener in a series in Test history for feck sake. What can he possibly be having a go at anyone else for?
By all accounts Wade is a massive sledger, so that's no surprise.

Warner does seem strange. Maybe he's trying to fire himself up for the second innings?

Tony Banta

Right, how many do we think Leach, Archer and Broad can add to the score?

Is getting the lead past 400 important?

In reply Australia will probably lose 2 early wickets, then ML & Smith will bat out most of the day, England will take late wickets to swing the game back in their favour. Smith will still be at the crease.

Djemba-Djemba

Right, how many do we think Leach, Archer and Broad can add to the score?

Is getting the lead past 400 important?

In reply Australia will probably lose 2 early wickets, then ML & Smith will bat out most of the day, England will take late wickets to swing the game back in their favour. Smith will still be at the crease.
I think we've already probably got enough but it could be a good thing to just keep the Aussies out on the field for a little while longer, frustrate them as much as possible.