English cricket thread

Doracle

Interesting to see Australia so defensive this early. Easy for England to milk the singles so far.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Interesting to see Australia so defensive this early. Easy for England to milk the singles so far.
Absolutely no pressure since the wicket because of this. It's a terrible idea, surely?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Any recommendations for best apps to follow this with good notifications?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Any recommendations for best apps to follow this with good notifications?
I’m not sure if they have an app, but Cricinfo do a ball by ball commentary. If you’re working from a laptop you can just have it on in the background.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
australia: “ah mate, those poms can’t do bazball against our wonderful seamers.”

also australia: “we’re not worried, we’re just going to set little bitch fields for reasons.”

DOTA

Keeper standing up to Boland is nuts.
australia: “ah mate, those poms can’t do bazball against our wonderful seamers.”

also australia: “we’re not worried, we’re just going to set little bitch fields for reasons.”
:lol:

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
We've produced a spinning pitch for an England side who have the worst spinning options of all major test nations...

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Flat pitches at all venues will be the death of test cricket.

DOTA

We've produced a spinning pitch for an England side who have the worst spinning options of all major test nations...
Do we have much choice about this? I don't know much about pitch preparation but by memory it does generally spin in England if it's been hot in the lead up.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
It’s hot and the pitch is dry. Was always going to be bat first weather. Will see how the pitch plays when both sides have batted.
It's more of a general trend I've seen not just with England but with other Test nations.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
England will need to bat time as well as runs on this pitch. Can't be dropping wickets on this, especially against an Aussie side that could comfortably bat for days.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Bah... I'd have probably taken 100/2 at the start of the day to be fair, though it's disappointing now after seeing how this pitch is playing.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
England aren't the kind of side to grind a team into the dirt on a road like this. We will probably bash 400ish in 80 overs when it could be 500 in a day and a half.

Not criticising, just the way we do it. But it's frustrating sometimes

Dan_F

Three down at lunch after winning the toss wouldn’t be ideal. Disappointing to lose wickets to those two balls as well.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point

England aren't the kind of side to grind a team into the dirt on a road like this. We will probably bash 400ish in 80 overs when it could be 500 in a day and a half.

Not criticising, just the way we do it. But it's frustrating sometimes
This is where they could come unstuck in this series. The amount of time it takes England to reach their high scores needs to be assessed in the context of time used in an innings.

On this pitch for instance, it's going to put a great deal of pressure on their under-prepared and injury prone bowling line up to have to deal with this Aussie batting unit which will have the time to build an innings score regardless of the England total.

Out of interest, what's the longest amount of time England have batted for during the Baz Ball revolution?

slyadams

Important to get to lunch now just 2 down. 115/2 after a morning session feels like honours even.

Dan_F

England will need to bat time as well as runs on this pitch. Can't be dropping wickets on this, especially against an Aussie side that could comfortably bat for days.
There will definitely be rain around, so we could lose a chunk of overs on Sunday if the forecast is correct.

DOTA

Who's their second spinner? Head? Labuschagne?

Is there any particular reason we haven't seen Green yet?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Gotta appreciate Crawley not walking there - Aussie's would be proud.

That wicket turns it into a disappointing morning really.