English & Irish Cricket Summer 2018

MJJ

Hope we get buttler before tea.

Also, so great we finally have two good all-rounders in the team. Have really given us the balance that was missing.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Sarfraz’s on going commentary never disappoints :lol:

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Chris Silverwood, who took over from Ottis Gibson when he went to South Africa.
Oh, right.

Are our bowlers unteachable? Wasn't Silverwood a pitch it up swing bowler?

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Oh, right.

Are our bowlers unteachable? Wasn't Silverwood a pitch it up swing bowler?
With the amount of experience Broad and Anderson have they don't need teaching, just a gentle reminder here and there to keep them on top of their game.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
With the amount of experience Broad and Anderson have they don't need teaching, just a gentle reminder here and there to keep them on top of their game.
Might this not be the problem though? They're so experienced we'd have to resurrect Trueman to have a chance of them listening to advice - or indeed any of the other seamers taking our bowling coach's advice over Anderson's.

paulscholes18

England need to make wholesale changes for the 2nd test
Hildreth
Burns
Vince
Root
Pope
Stokes
Bairstow
Woakes
Ali
Broad
Anderson

ArmchairCritic

Might this not be the problem though? They're so experienced we'd have to resurrect Trueman to have a chance of them listening to advice - or indeed any of the other seamers taking our bowling coach's advice over Anderson's.
Experience does not necessarily bring hubris with it. Never heard anything about England players being hard to coach. Show the bowlers the numbers and they'll respond accordingly.

ArmchairCritic

Really good work by Atherton on Buttler's approach straight away this innings, considering he's not played first-class for a good while it shows good match awareness and is a bit of a damning indictment on the rest of the side.

paulscholes18

What? This is looking like the 3re innings in the last 6 that England have been all out for under 200
If Buttler makes a 50+ he is starting at 7 with Bairstow back to country cricket
Cook has been too inconsistent for way to long now,
Stoneman is out of form and needs replacing
Malan same as Stoneman
Woakes is better than Wood
Ali is quite good in England

ha_rooney

Good battle this between Buttler & the bowlers.

ha_rooney

England have the lead. These 2 have played well.

I think Buttler’s done well by forcing the issue & coming so far forward.

ha_rooney

Good session for England. The Pakistan bowlers looked tired towards the end.

New ball will be crucial tomorrow. If England get a lead of 150 it’ll be a tricky chase.

NinjaFletch

That little rally to make this not appear as much of a pasting as it really was is probably the worst thing that could have happened for English cricket going forward.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
This is a hammering. Are Pakistan very good or are England just useless? Or bit of both?

paulscholes18

This is a hammering. Are Pakistan very good or are England just useless? Or bit of both?
Bit of both, Root made a mistake in batting first in bowlers friendly conditions, fair play to Pakistan they made the most f it

ha_rooney

Bit of both, Root made a mistake in batting first in bowlers friendly conditions, fair play to Pakistan they made the most f it
I still don’t get that decision. Everyone knows how weak our batting is & a few early wickets we’d probably have collapsed. Tried to be too smart & it failed.

One thing that has impressed me about Pakistan has been the discipline. A very inexperienced side but we’ve shown patience with bat & ball and followed a game plan. Will be interesting if we can do that again in the next game.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Root is proper daft. 8 runs to win and he's sitting on his knees at silly point to a seamer literally begging to be hit.

ha_rooney

Ed Smith looks like a wannabe Bond villain.

ha_rooney

Fantastic performance, especially when you consider how inexperienced our side is. Really didn’t expect that result or discipline from this side. Credit to the players & Arthur.

All the bowlers were very good, but really impressed by Abbas. He doesn’t seem too dangerous but keeps a very good line/length and gets it to move. I like the balance in our bowling with Faheem as an additional option who can bat a bit too. Shadab did well, when fit Yasir will come back in the side but I think Shadab is going to be a star if giving the correct support to develop his bowling in Tests.

Hope we can follow that performance with a similar one in the final Test.

zing

Zingle balls
Fantastic performance, especially when you consider how inexperienced our side is. Really didn’t expect that result or discipline from this side. Credit to the players & Arthur.

All the bowlers were very good, but really impressed by Abbas. He doesn’t seem too dangerous but keeps a very good line/length and gets it to move. I like the balance in our bowling with Faheem as an additional option who can bat a bit too. Shadab did well, when fit Yasir will come back in the side but I think Shadab is going to be a star if giving the correct support to develop his bowling in Tests.

Hope we can follow that performance with a similar one in the final Test.
Should've had an India Pakistan test match or two in England..

ha_rooney

Should've had an India Pakistan test match or two in England..
Was thinking that earlier. Wish they'd feck off with the politics & play at least a 2 match series in England.

NinjaFletch

What did he do?
Got bored of bowling line and length after about 3 overs and brought Wood on to bowl short and bess to bowl filth.

Obviously England wouldn't have won anyway, but you can at least bowl properly and make them play decent cricket to finish it off.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
Our bowling line up is top drawer and also English batting is hopeless. There is noone apart from Cook and Root. Its a bit shocking to see the likes of Buttler playing Test cricket. As for Pakistani batting there are a lot of talented guys there so I am not surprised they played well. The Test in Ireland and two matches against counties were good prep.

JohnnyKills

Our bowling line up is top drawer and also English batting is hopeless. There is noone apart from Cook and Root. Its a bit shocking to see the likes of Buttler playing Test cricket. As for Pakistani batting there are a lot of talented guys there so I am not surprised they played well. The Test in Ireland and two matches against counties were good prep.
Really don't think it's top drawer mate. Amir definitely, but the rest? They wouldn't have got a game in the days of Wasim, Waqar, Mushtaq and Azhar Mahmood.

The fact is that England are a poor test side. Buttler was a good selection - if test cricket is dying we can at least pick players who put bums on seats, and England have room for a wild card player given the number of all-rounders they have. But the bowling is really average. It seems there is noone strong enough to tell Broad and Anderson what to do, even when they are patently bowling too short. And Wood isn't great as a shock bowler.

The batting is also really lacking. Bet Hick and Ramprakash can't believe the number of chances Stoneman's had. Plus the whole thing about Root batting 3 is stupid. If he's best at 4, leave him there. Plenty of great players have batted below 3 (Tendulkar, Pietersen, Clarke, Flower, Steve Waugh to name but a few).

Bayliss has to be sacked as test coach, surely. With the players we've got, our record is appalling and we should be able to attract a top-class red ball coach easily.