English media thinly veiled racism

Yep it's getting a little to obvious now. One or two using an image of Saka ok. Or if he missed a complete sitter or cost the team the game somehow. Or even did anything at all to make him noteworthy.

He came on with less than half hour left and yet he's the face on nearly every single uk media outlet.

If he'd scored 2 in a 5-0 win nearly every picture would be of Kane, Foden etc.

Can see this thread being bumped after England get dumped in the quarter or semi final.

Yep it's getting a little to obvious now. One or two using an image of Saka ok. Or if he missed a complete sitter or cost the team the game somehow. Or even did anything at all to make him noteworthy.

He came on with less than half hour left and yet he's the face on nearly every single uk media outlet.

If he'd scored 2 in a 5-0 win nearly every picture would be of Kane, Foden etc.
Funny you say that :lol:

I remember Turnip Taylor , Southgate after the peno miss, becks getting death threats. I thought they expanded well beyond racism ? Going back to their niche?

Perhaps more recently it’s gone back to more racist undertones, but English tabloids have always been horrible , grimy , unrelentingly disgusting institutions.

I definitely see what they're getting at and there is examples of this in the past.

I do think that photo of Saka throwing the plane is just interesting enough that you'd use that as your image. It has the connotations of this England team collapsing.

When's Southgate getting called out for being an utterly shite manager?

Funny you say that :lol:

Big surprise :lol:

I'd have infinite respect for any England manager who called the media to task on this in a press conference. Might cost them their job but it'd put a stop to it pretty quickly.

Shouldn't just be left to the players themselves (Sterling, Rashford, etc.) to point it out because fans will turn on them the second they make one mistakeand then it just feeds the monster.

I definitely see what they're getting at and there is examples of this in the past.

I do think that photo of Saka throwing the plane is just interesting enough that you'd use that as your image. It has the connotations of this England team collapsing.

Yeah, the pun warrants it. But it's true that in other occasions a particular demographic seems to be targeted.

Is anyone surprised? This country has always had a problem with race, we’re just covert about it now.

I think it’s not something that can be said on the basis of one game — just as @Wumminator said, the plane picture can be interesting enough on its own and they’ve even used a pun relating to it in one of the headlines.

But it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if it’s a trend (actually, I’d me more surprised if it isn’t). Someone should do a proper investigation on a larger set of data.

I think it’s not something that can be said on the basis of one game — just as @Wumminator said, the plane picture can be interesting enough on its own and they’ve even used a pun relating to it in one of the headlines.

But it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if it’s a trend (actually, I’d me more surprised if it isn’t). Someone should do a proper investigation on a larger set of data.

It's been highlighted before. Same stuff happened with Sterling et al.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46498849

Steinberg and Burt going all in with the racist reporting without even hiding it. Nice. Call it what it is - it's racism and they are letting the players skin color decide their judgements.

I'm all for slagging off the media but aren't they just being lazy rather than racist and picking out the expressive player looking dejected rather than hunt through for the gormless Kane / Foden photos where they have enotions.

Then again Foden launched one out of play and blamed the receiver, surely there was a photo of his face then. And Kane missed a sitter, you'd think there was a decent photo of that. England captain privilege might have protected him though like it did Shearer I suppose.

I'm all for slagging off the media but aren't they just being lazy rather than racist and picking out the expressive player looking dejected rather than hunt through for the gormless Kane / Foden photos where they have enotions.

Hence why the title is thinly veiled racism, it's a lack of thought that plays into this narrative as much as it can be too target them exclusively.

That racism against non whites exists in England is a fact. There is 100% systematic racism. As a white you are much more likely to land a better job with higher pay or get promoted to one if you are white. From my observation.

There may be uproar over racist remarks and overt racist behaviour but no one ever talks about systematic racism.

Saka was picked for that shit plane pun, not because he’s black.

However, that doesn’t mean they aren’t scum of the earth racist cnuts. Wait till we lose (which we will) to the first good team - they’ll find a scapegoat, just like they did with Rashford and Sancho for missing penalties having played 0 minutes outfield in the 2020 final.

Not specifically UK media but shit like this is outrageous: https://www.businessinsider.com/england-penalty-kicks-marcus-rashford-jadon-sancho-2021-7

I don't think that's racist in the slightest nor was he chosen to say look England lost and here's a black guy who's responsible.

I think the point is that there is no thought prior to 'choosing' and it's an example of unconscious systemic racism.

Fair point but I don't think its an example of that and OP is being a bit sensitive to something that used to be way more common but really isn't that common now in the media.
If he is being a bit sensitive you acknowledge that it exists just not to a level that your own sensitivity makes you uncomfortable with it?

Big surprise :lol:

I'd have infinite respect for any England manager who called the media to task on this in a press conference. Might cost them their job but it'd put a stop to it pretty quickly.

Shouldn't just be left to the players themselves (Sterling, Rashford, etc.) to point it out because fans will turn on them the second they make one mistakeand then it just feeds the monster.
Southgate is the biggest pussy going, yes man to all.

This is what makes me glad Rashford isn’t there, he would be a big target for any blame. They’ve already started on Mainoo. The media are scum and need to be called out for it.

Hmm I dunno. I hope it's not that and I do wonder if it's a more simple explanation.

Mainoo is the new kid on the block, plays for United etc.

Bellingham and Saka are the two poster boys fit England and probably our best players.

Kane seems to be old news unless he's breaking some new record. So I imagine that Bellingham, Saka and Mainoo will be the focus of attention purely based on them being the future and the best players.

Absolutely agree with the OP aside from the thinly veiled part. It’s blatant. I have my opinions on countries with state controlled media and the downsides of that, but the media in England are worse. They have total discretion over what they choose to publish, yet they still feel obligated to tear down the country’s black players while simultaneously pretentiously projecting unity.

For me it's a bit of racism and a bit of laziness. The media has its golden boys and whether intentionally or not right now they are all white. I can't think of a single time Kane, Foden, Grealish, Stones, Pickford, Rice, etc has attracted negative controversy in spite of how they've played. It's like Saka, Mainoo, Rashford, Sterling etc end up as easy targets by default. Them being black probably does make it easier to throw criticism at them when it's not particularly warranted.

The only reason I'm inclined to say it's not definitively racist is because I could easily see them sticking Maguire's face onto one of these stories had he played. They've done it many times before. The same shit used to happen with Rooney.

Last edited:
Hmm I dunno. I hope it's not that and I do wonder if it's a more simple explanation.

Bellingham and Saka are the two poster boys fit England and probably our best players.

Kane seems to be old news unless he's breaking some new record. So I imagine that Bellingham, Saka and Mainoo will be the focus of attention purely based on them being the future and the best players.

And surely that is because of decisions made by journalists, no?

Jacob Steinberg in his review of Rice:
”Needs a more disciplined partner than Mainoo. England were too open. Expect Conor Gallagher to return.”

Not one word about Rice’s own performance, instead chose to double down on Mainoo.

Last edited:
Sterling had to fight this for years and they only left him alone when he called them out.

Paul Pogba has been one of the worst recipients in recent times too. His blackness is even accentuated by a seemingly ‘colourful’ personality.

Southgate is the biggest pussy going, yes man to all.

Yeah but I wouldn't put the blame squarely on him. He'd need the backing of his employers to do something like that. It'd just be good if it did happen as it might actually trigger some real pushback to it and force a change.

I reckon the players would easily rally behind it. There's too many who are affected by it or are friends with the ones who are...and a fair portion of fans too, minus the internet trolls.

Sterling had to fight this for years and they only left him alone when he called them out.

Paul Pogba has been one of the worst recipients in recent times too. His blackness is even accentuated by a seemingly ‘colourful’ personality.
The media are scum plain and simple. Plenty of examples of white players getting crucified in the media too. Nobody has ever had it worse than David Beckham.

They just love to knock down the same players they have hyped up, like Saka, Mainoo and Bellingham.

Oh come on now. Look how easily you can change the names here:

Palmer is the new kid on the block, plays for Chelsea etc.

Kane and Foden are the two poster boys for England and probably our best players.

I don't think Sterling helped himself by how he went about it. He'd get criticised for something that deserved criticism then play the race card instead of just picking out the times when him or team mates were singled out for no reason (which he did also do in fairness to him).

That's where he needed the manager, governing bodies, team mates etc; to fully back him up though. It must be hard as an individual to see the difference between fair criticism and being victimised when the latter is relentless either way.