English pundits dislike of showboating - Antony to be arrested and put on trial

HaliRed

Tbh I was annoyed at first, waste of time etc, but looking at the situation in teplay, it struck me that it did have a function, because the Sheriff players were stood watching, and there opened up a huge space for Casemiro to run into in a dangerous area, that wasn’t really an option before he staryed his Tony Harding show. Wether he intended that, I have no idea, but it did have a function as it played out. Of course he has to weight his pass better for it not to look ridiculous.
This was my take as well. It caused their player to freeze. A better pass/run would have led to something dangerous.

The rest is noise by irrelevant people.

Grande

This was my take as well. It caused their player to freeze. A better pass/run would have led to something dangerous.

The rest is noise by irrelevant people.
Yes, I think Ten Hag, who knows the player well, said after the game that it’s ok for him whatever a player does if it has a function, if not he would have told him off for it.

Gordon S

Absolutely sensational how those spins can cause such stir!
The poor guy has done it 2-3 times since coming here and the old farts is fuming and wants the silliness kicked out of him.

Did anyone moan about Garnacho receving the ball in a fancy way?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Tbh I was annoyed at first, waste of time etc, but looking at the situation in teplay, it struck me that it did have a function, because the Sheriff players were stood watching, and there opened up a huge space for Casemiro to run into in a dangerous area, that wasn’t really an option before he staryed his Tony Harding show. Wether he intended that, I have no idea, but it did have a function as it played out. Of course he has to weight his pass better for it not to look ridiculous.
I mean even giving the crowd a cheer is a purpose.

Let us enjoy our silly spins, football is entertainment.

Dr. StrangeHate

It is a sign the team are enjoying out there. I love a bit of skill even if it doesn't lead to anything. It gets the crowd going. Plus Casemiro did sneak in, just needed a better pass.

wolvored

I think if he had done it to beat a player, or if someone was injured and the game stopped to entertain the crowd, or 2 mins left and we were winning to tick down the clock, it would have been applauded. To do it in play and waste time in the first half was stupid and his pass made it look worse.

Smores

The only thing worse than the overreaction to the skill is the overreaction to said comments, you'd think they'd called for a lifetime ban.

It's like everything topic is talk radio these days.

Lyng

I think if he had done it to beat a player, or if someone was injured and the game stopped to entertain the crowd, or 2 mins left and we were winning to tick down the clock, it would have been applauded. To do it in play and waste time in the first half was stupid and his pass made it look worse.
There is a post higher up that explains the purpose. It made the opposition players stop running and actually created a huge space to run into. Against stronger opposition this wont work, but against weaker teams it can be effective.
It does require the rest of our players to be awake though.

RedRob

"I believe. I believe there will be more. T
When Ronaldinho did this stuff seventeen years ago, with or without end product, people loved it so much that EA created a video game series built around it - FIFA Street.
Nowadays, through a combination of stats-padding players, talk of "Always respect your opposition, don't embarrass them out there" and self-indulgent half-stats like expected goals, we've convinced ourselves that trying something different is a bad thing if it doesn't pay off.
Thought exercise - remember Berbatov's insane assist against West Ham? If that's deemed to have rolled out of play before he gets to it, how would people have reacted: "Great idea, pity it didn't pay off," or "Berbaflop! Needs to run harder and just put in a normal, sensible cross!"

Edwards6

When Ronaldinho did this stuff seventeen years ago, with or without end product, people loved it so much that EA created a video game series built around it - FIFA Street.
Nowadays, through a combination of stats-padding players, talk of "Always respect your opposition, don't embarrass them out there" and self-indulgent half-stats like expected goals, we've convinced ourselves that trying something different is a bad thing if it doesn't pay off.
Thought exercise - remember Berbatov's insane assist against West Ham? If that's deemed to have rolled out of play before he gets to it, how would people have reacted: "Great idea, pity it didn't pay off," or "Berbaflop! Needs to run harder and just put in a normal, sensible cross!"
It's ridiculous how people are getting so annoyed by it, it's like they want 11 robots playing with no personality. Bring back the days of Jay-Jay Okocha and Adel Taraabt

NoPace

Caring about this and not the moment 60 seconds later where he lost track of their left back and he got open and hit a quality cross they almost scared from is a sign of a lack of basic football comprehension.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The only thing worse than the overreaction to the skill is the overreaction to said comments, you'd think they'd called for a lifetime ban.

It's like everything topic is talk radio these days.
Yep.

People are allowed to both like it and dislike it... it's almost like people have different opinions on things.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I didn't like it as it was pointless, it was still 0-0 and he fecked up the pass afterwards. However, the overreaction afterwards...You'd think he kicked someone in the face or something.

captaincantona

If that pass had a little less weight on it or if it was someone with a bit more pace than Casemiro running in behind then the same pundits would be lapping it up. It’s fine margins. The important thing is that it doesn’t change his approach to the game or knock his confidence. He has settled just fine and now needs to kick on.

Sanchos game has regressed and it’s clear that ETH wants him running at his full back more. We need our front players to back themselves.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i think it’s pretty clear he does it to try and get a defender to lose their head and either lose their shape or lunge in on him, he then backs himself to slip by them with his fast feet or pick the pass. if someone is set up 5 meters from you it’s a lot harder to dribble round them or knock it by them.

AmanNits04

If that pass was a little bit better weighted, and casemiro would have gone in, I would have liked to see the reactions of Pundits then

Bobade

If that pass was a little bit better weighted, and casemiro would have gone in, I would have liked to see the reactions of Pundits then
100 percent. It's fine margins, and it wasn't far off to be honest. It looked great and provided some entertainment. Who cares? The vitriol on the commentary was absolutely ridiculous. Yes, he looked a bit stupid when it didn't come off, but so what? Football is lacking this showmanship nowadays and I would love to see more of it.

flameinthesun

The english media will always find something to use to dislike united. The disappointing thing is as always ex United players complaining about the flair. We've been calling out for excitement and flair for yearsss, since the days of young ronaldo and nani, since then the only player whose had a bit of flair to their game was Pogba and he was slated. Me personally, give me a flair player at united any day. That's what united is about, not just winning but entertaining. If Ten Hag can strike the right balance between the robotic possession/pep style and the flair/tricks of players like Antony and Garnacho, then the entertainment factor will return to united. For me the only thing dissapointing with the Antony skill was he didn't carry on spinning there even longer to take the mick out of the defender! Its been too long since we the have fans have been entertained by a united side!.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Give me an example of a skill Ronaldinho that was similar to what Antony did in terms of context. Genuine question

LoneStar

There's showboating which wows you and gets a cheer. Neymar comes to mind.

And then there was that embarassment yesterday, I was at a loss of words when he did that... I'll admit I did laugh when he misplaced his pass after that.

cyberman

He didn’t do a trick while passing, he did a trick then failed to find a pass.
There’s a massive difference between the two. The truck wouldn’t have impacted his pass at all.
If I were Antony I’d break it out every game now

mctrials23

I thought Savage was going to explode afterwards. Unfortunately he didn't. Theres no issue with what he did at all. Bit of fun.