English pundits dislike of showboating - Antony to be arrested and put on trial

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Do they really have nothing better to talk about? Disrespectful... my arse it is :lol: :lol:
Give the man some slack, he was forced to wear a sweater knitted by his nan, on live television.

Foxbatt

I wish Antony would flick the ball in the air, do a somersault , bring the ball down and do three spins, disappear in a puff of smoke and appear next to Souness.

Unam333

No problem with the trick at all. It needs to have a purpose and I believe it has a purpose: it will possibly irk the opponent in committing a foul on Antony. Opponent gets a yellow, we get a freekick. Very functional.

Swordsman

Just imagine if ronaldinho (probably the GOAT for skills and tricks with the ball) had played in PL. Pundits would have had a heart attack.
He would ended his career in half a season as all the other players would love to break his legs as their greatest football achievement ever.

On a serious note the difference between him and Antony is his skills and tricks got "end product" Antony doesn't.

studs

Well, Paul, I think the vast majority of the world population think it's ridiculous that you suck on your daughter's toes.

I'd say you need that kicked out of you, but you might actually like that.
Very good, it reminded me of this.

RedRob

"I believe. I believe there will be more. T
Give me an example of a skill Ronaldinho that was similar to what Antony did in terms of context. Genuine question
Liga MX final in 2015?
Ronaldinho's Queretaro were 5-0 down from the first leg, but managed to pull it back to within two goals by halftime of the second leg.
Goalkeeper went to kick it from his hands, Ronaldinho poked it away and got booked for doing so.
Your club's best known player ever dicking around and not taking the league final seriously is worse than what Antony did in the Europe League group stages, in my opinion.

RedStarUnited

This is a country whos video directors on match days still refuse to replay nice buts of skills but cant wait to give us a super slow motion tackle.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Liga MX final in 2015?
Ronaldinho's Queretaro were 5-0 down from the first leg, but managed to pull it back to within two goals by halftime of the second leg.
Goalkeeper went to kick it from his hands, Ronaldinho poked it away and got booked for doing so.
Your club's best known player ever dicking around and not taking the league final seriously is worse than what Antony did in the Europe League group stages, in my opinion.
How are those 2 skills similar ?

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I don't get the 'disrespectful' perspective.

Why is a player showing flamboyant ability on the ball considered disrespectful? If you can, go take it off him with a fair tackle. Or close out his options after his skill move. I find reacting to it with a yellow/red card tackle disrespectful.

Also a list of things I find more disrespectful than skill moves, effective or otherwise:

- Playing for the corner flag.
- Theatrics to win fouls and diving to con referees.
- Time wasting from keepers and free kick takers and players who kick the ball away.
- Surrounding the ref to win a foul or a throw in.
- Intentional 'tactical fouls' like grabbing on to a shirt or tripping a player to stop counters deep in your own half. You know, 'taking one for the team'.
- Holding up your hand to claim for corners or throw-ins you know you didn't win

If football has far less of the above and far more of the 'showboating', it would be a better game.

Mercurial

Not gonna lie, the Antony thing just looked funny and out of place :lol:

Crowd loved it, looked slick too, bunch of kids got turned to fans, things like this pretty much get the best before due pundits all riled up. It invokes a little inferiority complex here and there most likely.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Weirdly, given it is one of the biggest talking points from the match, MUTV didn’t show it in their 20 min highlights!

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
I wish Antony would flick the ball in the air, do a somersault , bring the ball down and do three spins, disappear in a puff of smoke and appear next to Souness.
:lol::lol:

I can imagine Souness Screaming "What you've just done is Scandalous"

Hester_manc

I love that Antony made his "circle". It's crazy how former players like Scholes become grumpy old men like that. There must be room for some tricks.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
The English media will see any skill as obnoxious or unnecessary. They’re dinosaurs. They wouldn’t publicly say it but they’d want someone to plow through said player with a full blooded slide tackle in response.

pacifictheme

I love that Antony made his "circle". It's crazy how former players like Scholes become grumpy old men like that. There must be room for some tricks.
I think the caf has overreacted almost as much as the commentators initially. Today a west ham player did a great piece of skill, a spin no less, to get past a united tackle and broke forwards. The skill was praised because it had function.

Red Rash

At the end of the day football is entertainment. I'm not sure why some people are so upset about Antony performing a piece of skill that ended up with his losing the ball. It was kind of pointless but hardly "disrespectful" as the media are trying to position it.

About as stupid as the time Neymar got yellow carded for showboating.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Guarantee a lot of kids will be trying it in school on Monday. That’s good enough reason to do it

Anustart89

At the end of the day football is entertainment. I'm not sure why some people are so upset about Antony performing a piece of skill that ended up with his losing the ball. It was kind of pointless but hardly "disrespectful" as the media are trying to position it.

About as stupid as the time Neymar got yellow carded for showboating.
You'd think that kicking an opponent in the head would be considered worse, but that only got the "He's entitled to go for it" comment from Neville.

Red Rash

You'd think that kicking an opponent in the head would be considered worse, but that only got the "He's entitled to go for it" comment from Neville.
To be fair to Scamacca it was against Martinez so his foot couldn't have been more then 4 feet off the ground