Enzo Fernández | signs for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I would love this to be true but cant see how it can be given our financial situation. If we had the money - why wouldn’t we be spending it on a striker?
Maybe in the summer

But a cut price deal of £8M for Felix in Jan plus Enzo in Jan could work?

It's wild to think and would surprise all of us if it did happen.

Red Star One

We wouldn’t pay 37m for gakpo. We certainly ain’t paying over 100m for this guy. Liverpool’s will probably sign him… they’re desperate for mids.
We wouldn’t pay 37m for Gakpo because we’re not in a desperate need of a wide player. Central midfielder though we have identified as one of our priorities.

El-Manos

I don’t know what I’d be more happy about. Buying this lad or moving on from
Frenkie de boring.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We wouldn’t pay 37m for gakpo. We certainly ain’t paying over 100m for this guy. Liverpool’s will probably sign him… they’re desperate for mids.
The 2 are unrelated... Enzo is exactly what we need in midfield to partner Casemiro, and is a truly future world class midfielder. We already have 3 attackers who offer what Gakpo can, but are each better than Gakpo, and then also have Antony on the right and Garnacho coming through who are different.

Gakpo isn't as good at creating, link up, hold up play, dribbling as Sancho/martial, and Rashford is far quicker and more agile (and a better dribbler). Gakpo's only use here would he if someone like Sancho was bring sold.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Maybe in the summer

But a cut price deal of £8M for Felix in Jan plus Enzo in Jan could work?

It's wild to think and would surprise all of us if it did happen.
If it happened I really don't feel United need to do anything but negotiate Freds exit in the summer, and I think DDG just needs to be extended on lower wages (for now) because it's not a major need although it will happen at some point in the next years, we can even leave the CB spot for another year.

The bigger problems with United and the back line for years was mainly the lack of protection, Pogba strolling back, McFred being out of position.

I think Enzo and Casemiro would not really leak goals with Varane and Martinez.

What we do with Maguire at that point nobody knows, but I think another year can pass with him in the squad unless a good offer comes in, the summer could just be about getting players like Fred off the books.

the hea

PL officials literally sold clubs to journalists murderers and an a blood oligarch from Russia(and only kicked him because of government pressure, not because they wanted to).

The test are a joke, El Chapo could buy a club if he bribes enough officials.
I think you missed my point. I'm not saying that the test works or even makes a difference but in the end it is something that has to be done. And there is no way Liverpool's new owners will have passed tje test and manged to keep it all under the radar.
Someone somewhere would have leaked something to the press.

Teja

The 2 are unrelated... Enzo is exactly what we need in midfield to partner Casemiro, and is a truly future world class midfielder. We already have 3 attackers who offer what Gakpo can, but are each better than Gakpo, and then also have Antony on the right and Garnacho coming through who are different.
Let's talk about the bolded bit. I agree that eventually he'd be a great replacement for Casemiro but I don't see how exactly this is going to work for the next couple of years.

As I see it, the functions in both Arteta and Ten Hag's midfields are quite similar. I think both can adjust depending on the specific players at their disposal but here's the template:

CM1: Deepest of the midfielders in that 3-1 build up structure. CDM type player but must be able to link up effectively. (Casemiro / Partey)

CM2: More attacking / box to box type player. Stays a little bit further up during build up dynamically dropping deep creating the extra man sometimes. Eriksen, Xhaka play this role.

AM: Your standard #10. Bruno is a little more of a goal scorer and Odegaard is more of a playmaker but it doesn't matter enough for the big picture to change.

For Argentina, Enzo played the role Casmeiro / Partey played and he was very effective. He's not really a ball carrier and can't dribble, his skill is in dictating tempo, making himself available for the pass, standard deep lying playmaker stuff.

In this case Casemiro will have to play B2B and he might be okay in that role but I question if that's what we want. Also changing the role of one of the best midfield players in the world to accommodate Enzo is a bit silly in my book.

Ideally, in my book, we want a guy like FdJ or Bellingham to partner Casemiro and not Enzo. In theory even McTominay would be a better player than Eriksen in that role if he can just get his act together.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Let's talk about the bolded bit. I agree that eventually he'd be a great replacement for Casemiro but I don't see how exactly this is going to work for the next couple of years.

As I see it, the functions in both Arteta and Ten Hag's midfields are quite similar. I think both can adjust depending on the specific players at their disposal but here's the template:

CM1: Deepest of the midfielders in that 3-1 build up structure. CDM type player but must be able to link up effectively. (Casemiro / Partey)

CM2: More attacking / box to box type player. Stays a little bit further up during build up dynamically dropping deep creating the extra man sometimes. Eriksen, Xhaka play this role.

AM: Your standard #10. Bruno is a little more of a goal scorer and Odegaard is more of a playmaker but it doesn't matter enough for the big picture to change.

For Argentina, Enzo played the role Casmeiro / Partey played and he was very effective. He's not really a ball carrier and can't dribble, his skill is in dictating tempo, making himself available for the pass, standard deep lying playmaker stuff.

In this case Casemiro will have to play B2B and he might be okay in that role but I question if that's what we want. Also changing the role of one of the best midfield players in the world to accommodate Enzo is a bit silly in my book.

Ideally, in my book, we want a guy like FdJ or Bellingham to partner Casemiro and not Enzo.
I think he can play a B2B role, look at him for Argentina, he has a hell of an engine, he gets around the pitch, he's a good passer and he can shoot too.

I think he's capable honestly.

Castia

Yeah not going to happen, Benfica will just keep him then.
80m is a lot of money for Benfica

There won’t be many clubs offering over 100m. Let’s have it right once the World Cup hype dies down they’ll be lucky to get that figure.

They just bought him for 13m last summer Id be fuming if United paid 100m.

BlackShark_80

There won’t be many clubs offering over 100m. Let’s have it right once the World Cup hype dies down they’ll be lucky to get that figure.

Benfica would be idiot if they sell Fernandez for less than his release clause.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away

Don’t know why fans care so much about transfer fees this much it would lead to you “fuming”

Castia

Benfica would be idiot if they sell Fernandez for less than his release clause.
They got him 6 months ago for 13m and in the summer the World Cup hype will have died down. 80m is a ridiculous amount of money for a player you had never heard of before the World Cup started.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Don’t know why fans care so much about transfer fees this much it would lead to you “fuming”
I'm outraged how an entity spends its money, not enough money spend on biscuits for the office workers.

Castia

Because funds aren’t infinite? 100m on Enzo is less money available elsewhere

It’s not rocket science is it

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Because funds aren’t infinite? 100m on Enzo is less money available elsewhere

It’s not rocket science is it
1) it would be paid in instalments
2) United are good for €120M

Not like they’re going to go out of business. But to be “fuming” come on seriously?

BlackShark_80

They got him 6 months ago for 13m and in the summer the World Cup hype will have died down. 80m is a ridiculous amount of money for a player you had never heard of before the World Cup started.
Erm... you clearly didn't watch the CL? the hype already started before WC.

Rolaholic

Benfica are within their rights to demand silly money, he just came off a terrific World Cup and they already received 100m for a striker with one good season last summer.

Someone like Tchouameni went for 100m at around the same age without the same pedigree that Fernandez currently has.

This is also the same club who squeezed 126M for a raw 19 year old Joao Felix.

If they end up getting similar money for him is still to be determined but they're simply playing things the way they always have and they've become some of the most prolific sellers in Europe over the last decade or so because of it.

Castia

1) it would be paid in instalments
2) United are good for €120M

Not like they’re going to go out of business. But to be “fuming” come on seriously?
They just signed him for 13m and your happy spending 120m 6 months later? seems like a typical United deal to be honest what could go wrong.

Id be ‘fuming’ because we need a striker and if we spent 120m on Enzo there wouldn’t be the budget for a world class number 9

Rolaholic

Erm... you clearly didn't watch the CL? the hype already started before WC.
Yea the hype started last winter for him and Julian Alvarez coming off a very successful year with River Plate, he was linked to a host of big clubs including us.

Nick7

It’s mad money but the hype started well before that when he was at River

DoctorPepper

This "hype" was nowhere close to that of a potential 120M player until very very recently, so I don't know why people are suddenly pretending he was some Neymar-like figure at River Plate or Benfica. There are tonnes of players who had the hype of pre-WC Enzo.

Rolaholic

This "hype" was nowhere close to that of a potential 120M player until very very recently, so I don't know why people are suddenly pretending he was some Neymar-like figure at River Plate or Benfica. There are tonnes of players who had the hype of pre-WC Enzo.
Who is doing this though?

He was on the radar for big clubs since last January and Benfica have a habit of squeezing massive fees for their talents, even moreso than Ajax lately.

Not sure how that equals people claiming that he's got Neymar level hype at all.

Nick7

Who’s doing that?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
All this hype happens because reliable energetic box-2-box midfielders are scarcing nowadays. Makes total sense that his price tag has gone through the roof after this WC where Argentina improved after start using him in the starting 11.

Telsim

So we don't have money for Gakpo and have to look into the loan market instead... But we are suddenly going to spend 120M on Enzo Fernandes!? :lol: Do people really believe this rubbish?

DoctorPepper

Who is doing this though?

He was on the radar for big clubs since last January and Benfica have a habit of squeezing massive fees for their talents, even moreso than Ajax lately.

Not sure how that equals people claiming that he's got Neymar level hype at all.
Again, because the supposed pre-WC hype that people mention to somehow justify or make sense of this post-WC 120M price is completely meaningless. For 120M, you would think he's always had this level of hype which is simply not true. There are truckloads of players on big clubs' radars.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
So we don't have money for Gakpo and have to look into the loan market instead... But we are suddenly going to spend 120M on Enzo Fernandes!? :lol: Do people really believe this rubbish?
Fernández, I think we have no money for transfers but we can dream until our hopes are taken away

Status
Not open for further replies.