Enzo Fernández | signs for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
All this hype happens because reliable energetic box-2-box midfielders are scarcing nowadays. Makes total sense that his price tag has gone through the roof after this WC where Argentina improved after start using him in the starting 11.
Can't believe some people on here claim they'd be "fuming" if Utd paid €80m for him.

I'd be DELIGHTED if Liverpool paid €120m for him. He's the real deal and players with his qualities in midfield are indeed very, very hard to come by. Since I don't think we'll be getting Bellingham, getting Fernandez would be monumental.

That said he'll probably fancy Real over both of Utd/Liverpool just like most players nowadays.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Let's talk about the bolded bit. I agree that eventually he'd be a great replacement for Casemiro but I don't see how exactly this is going to work for the next couple of years.

As I see it, the functions in both Arteta and Ten Hag's midfields are quite similar. I think both can adjust depending on the specific players at their disposal but here's the template:

CM1: Deepest of the midfielders in that 3-1 build up structure. CDM type player but must be able to link up effectively. (Casemiro / Partey)

CM2: More attacking / box to box type player. Stays a little bit further up during build up dynamically dropping deep creating the extra man sometimes. Eriksen, Xhaka play this role.

AM: Your standard #10. Bruno is a little more of a goal scorer and Odegaard is more of a playmaker but it doesn't matter enough for the big picture to change.

For Argentina, Enzo played the role Casmeiro / Partey played and he was very effective. He's not really a ball carrier and can't dribble, his skill is in dictating tempo, making himself available for the pass, standard deep lying playmaker stuff.

In this case Casemiro will have to play B2B and he might be okay in that role but I question if that's what we want. Also changing the role of one of the best midfield players in the world to accommodate Enzo is a bit silly in my book.

Ideally, in my book, we want a guy like FdJ or Bellingham to partner Casemiro and not Enzo. In theory even McTominay would be a better player than Eriksen in that role if he can just get his act together.
I think we've got a pretty clear 4231 shape, and even in build up Eriksen goes deep very often. I agree we use a 3-1-6 build up often, but Enzo can do that excellently. He's a progressive player on the ball, can have a good impact further up, very good and reliable on the ball, but also aggressive defensively. Casemiro as the rock next to him would make us so hard to play against but also reliable in possession.

I don't see Bellingham as someone who fits us long term at all tbh. Frenkie obviously would be class next to Casemiro, but so would Enzo. Either of those 2 would be a dream signing. Bellingham i don't care if he goes elsewhere, though he is class in his own way.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Can't believe some people on here claim they'd be "fuming" if Utd paid €80m for him.

I'd be DELIGHTED if Liverpool paid €120m for him. He's the real deal and players with his qualities in midfield are indeed very, very hard to come by. Since I don't think we'll be getting Bellingham, getting Fernandez would be monumental.

That said he'll probably fancy Real over both of Utd/Liverpool just like most players nowadays.
This is more likely, yes. He already said in past interviews while at River that playing for Real Madrid would be his career peak. Not about most players, but players from South America. Real Madrid is very popular in those Spanish speaking countries and even Brazilian players preferred them because the language barrier is smaller (and off course Real Madrid is a fantastic club selling their image. Even when they were not winning they always had players interested in signing for them)

bosnian_red

He might fancy Madrid but with them having Camavinga, Tchouameni and Valverde on the cards... I just don't see Enzo going there. The 2 french guys have that locked up long term for them.

DiMaria

Nobody would be fuming for paying that much for him unless they’re relatives of the glazers. I never get this. Any quality player will now cost a lot, especially when the club isn’t forced to sell. This whole I hope we don’t sign him because he costs this or that doesn’t make any sense. The main question we should be asking ourselves is, will he make our team considerably better or not?

But yes I also think he would probably fancy Madrid (Spain in general. Language and all). Although you never know maybe agent licha and a lucrative contract can do the trick.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
He might fancy Madrid but with them having Camavinga, Tchouameni and Valverde on the cards... I just don't see Enzo going there. The 2 french guys have that locked up long term for them.
I would've thought so too but with them apparently involved for Bellingham (and him preferring a Real move), I'm not entirely convincend on that.

At least they'll be in for only one of Fernandez and Bellingham, one would hope :lol:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Nobody would be fuming for paying that much for him unless they’re relatives of the glazers. I never get this. Any quality player will now cost a lot, especially when the club isn’t forced to sell. This whole I hope we don’t sign him because he costs this or that doesn’t make any sense. The main question we should be asking ourselves is, will he make our team considerably better or not?

But yes I also think he would probably fancy Madrid (Spain in general. Language and all). Although you never know maybe agent licha and a lucrative contract can do the trick.
He'd immediately improve our midfield and will only improve, being 21 at the moment. Although even more than a Fernandez type of player we are in need of a true 10 - maybe he can play that role as well though (alongside Thiago in front of Fabinho).

Haven't watched Utd at all this season but I'm guessing he could be the missing link between Casemiro and your attacking midfielder (Eriksen/Bruno)?

bosnian_red

I would've thought so too but with them apparently involved for Bellingham (and him preferring a Real move), I'm not entirely convincend on that.

At least they'll be in for only one of Fernandez and Bellingham, one would hope :lol:
Bellingham i could see as he's naturally an attacking midfielder! So he could make a 3 with Camavinga and Tchouameni pretty naturally. Valverde as a go between the midfield and attackers depending on what they want. Enzo is too much of a Camavinga/Tchouameni position player and you'd have nobody really of that group who can play the attacking role. In terms of their squad building... Bellingham, endrick, and eventually pushing for Mbappe make sense. Enzo for me doesn't really.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
It’s mad money but the hype started well before that when he was at River
There was hype, but not for 120 million...

If somebody pays that, he would become the most expensive midfielder in history of Football.

That's some massive pressure on him to deliver Modric-esque performances every week, just "decent" performances won't be enough because of the price tag.

bosnian_red

He'd immediately improve our midfield and will only improve, being 21 at the moment. Although even more than a Fernandez type of player we are in need of a true 10 - maybe he can play that role as well though (alongside Thiago in front of Fabinho).

Haven't watched Utd at all this season but I'm guessing he could be the missing link between Casemiro and your attacking midfielder (Eriksen/Bruno)?
Eriksen has been our deep lying playmaker next to Casemiro the defensive mid, and has been good but not great. Some very good performances, others where he looks his age. Getting Enzo there so we can rotate Eriksen with him and Bruno would be an excellent group, with McTominay backing up Casemiro.

Given your midfield, both Bellingham and Enzo make sense. You need a full refresh in there. Not sure on the youth guys but they're all too far away still that you'd likely want a starter or 2 to replace Henderson, fabinho, Thiago, Keita as the senior guys.

mu4c_20le

If somebody pays that, he would become the moment expensive midfielder in history of Football.

That's some massive pressure on him to deliver Modric-esque performances every week, just "decent" performances won't be enough because of the price tag.
Still Coutinho

bosnian_red

If somebody pays that, he would become the moment expensive midfielder in history of Football.

It's an overpay but also an overpay for the young player of the world Cup, where he was probably the biggest change for Argentina and he consistently displayed excellent and mature performances for them... It was a brilliant world cup from him to add on to the hype that he's been building. Press resistant, quality passer, quality technique, aggressive off the ball... It wasn't an undeserved award at all and he did it without needing any hype from big goals, just dictated games with his ability.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
It's an overpay but also an overpay for the young player of the world Cup, where he was probably the biggest change for Argentina and he consistently displayed excellent and mature performances for them... It was a brilliant world cup from him to add on to the hype that he's been building. Press resistant, quality passer, quality technique, aggressive off the ball... It wasn't an undeserved award at all and he did it without needing any hype from big goals, just dictated games with his ability.
Idk, how many of the biggest transfers since 2010 have worked out?

Only CR7 and Bale for 100 million to RM? That's it.

The likes of Coutinho,Pogba,Joao Felix,Dembélé,Grealish,Lukaku,Hazard, etc haven't been a success.

Neymar could be one, but for 220 million PSG only won french leagues, which they were winning without him anyways, and he always miss big games due to injuries...so i wouldn't say it worked out well.

So that left us only with Ronaldo and Bale to RM, as the only big success.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality

The likes of Coutinho,Pogba,Joao Felix,Dembélé,Lukaku,Hazard, etc didn't end well at all.

Neymar could be one, but for 220 million PSG only won french leagues, which they were winning without him anyways, and he always miss big games due to injuries...so i wouldn't say it worked out well.

So that left us only with Ronaldo and Bale to RM, as the only success.
Mbappe probably

ElectroManiac

If he is going to leave this January them he won't be comming to us. We don't have the cash to buy him now. Such a sad state we are at the moment thanks to the Glazers.

bosnian_red

The likes of Coutinho,Pogba,Joao Felix,Dembélé,Grealish,Lukaku,Hazard, etc haven't been a success.

So that left us only with Ronaldo and Bale to RM, as the only big success.
Yeah that's fair, but I also think most of them are due to teams signing players who they didn't need... Id only advocate a team spending big on a player if it's a position and role of true and clear need, and they're at the right age and have elite potential. Enzo ticks that box for me, Antony ticked it as well but time will tell what level he develop to, but we needed a left footed RW with big potential, and there are very few of them around.

Also Dembele proves that point almost - he was seen as a big flop for a while but now has developed into a world class winger and nobody cares about the price. Took time to get past the injuries but he was young and had time on his side.

Lukaku, hazard, griezmann are examples of teams spending big on older players who aren't really needed (and overpays at that where they showed signs of decline before the move), so that's not a surprise.

Nick7

If somebody pays that, he would become the most expensive midfielder in history of Football.

Fantastic. I’ve been consistent in saying he isn’t worth that.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I don't think we will sign anyone. A loan deal at the very most. We have yet again overpaid massively on our summer moves which has left us short.

I just want these owners gone now. It's incompetence on levels never seen before having likes of Woodward (now gone) and Murtough and Arnold running the biggest club in the world. Shambolic.

Teja

I think we've got a pretty clear 4231 shape, and even in build up Eriksen goes deep very often. I agree we use a 3-1-6 build up often, but Enzo can do that excellently. He's a progressive player on the ball, can have a good impact further up, very good and reliable on the ball, but also aggressive defensively. Casemiro as the rock next to him would make us so hard to play against but also reliable in possession.

I don't see Bellingham as someone who fits us long term at all tbh. Frenkie obviously would be class next to Casemiro, but so would Enzo. Either of those 2 would be a dream signing. Bellingham i don't care if he goes elsewhere, though he is class in his own way.
Has he ever played in that role?

croadyman

I don't think we will sign anyone. A loan deal at the very most. We have yet again overpaid massively on our summer moves which has left us short.

I just want these owners gone now. It's incompetence on levels never seen before having likes of Woodward (now gone) and Murtough and Arnold running the biggest club in the world. Shambolic.
Yeah it's loan or bust for us

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Thought it was generally accepted that overpaying for players on the back of a tournament performance is the worst way a club can invest transfer funds.

bosnian_red

Thought it was generally accepted that overpaying for players on the back of a tournament performance is the worst way a club can invest transfer funds.
He should have been a top target before the tournament too though. He was looking excellent for Benfica and attracting a lot of attention, and was hyped before he joined Benfica.

It's not buying a player on the back of a few world cup goals like James, it's deserved hype after dominating performances after excellent form for Benfica and shining on the biggest stage possible.

Has he ever played in that role?
Enzo? It's where he always plays... He's a 6 or an 8 depending on system you set up, but not a 10.

Teja

He should have been a top target before the tournament too though. He was looking excellent for Benfica and attracting a lot of attention, and was hyped before he joined Benfica.

It's not buying a player on the back of a few world cup goals like James, it's deserved hype after dominating performances after excellent form for Benfica and shining on the biggest stage possible.

Enzo? It's where he always plays... He's a 6 or an 8 depending on system you set up, but not a 10.
Yeah I only saw him at #6 during the WC, never saw how he does at #8 maybe even as part of a double pivot.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea

Not sure if the source is any good, dont think it is, but reports we are in Lisbon, or have been, and presented 120m euros

mav_9me

I keep saying it. The last time I wanted a player this badly was Rooney in 2004. Hopefully the wish comes true.

Gordon S

A young top quality midfielder, felt like ages since we had one those. No issues if the club takes some financial risk on this one.
We can sell Maguire, AWB, Fred and Donny for decent money in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.