Enzo Fernández | signs for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Houdini

Absolutely not worth that for me. 80 million euros tops. I wouldn't even sign him us giving the thing we're lacking in midfield is a player that can also carry the ball.
Considering what we paid for Sancho and for unproven Antony. 100m for Enzo are peanuts these days.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Feels like Chelsea will end up with an excellent squad... after buying about 3 of them
Yes they’ll have the squad but do they have the manager to get the best out of the squad? They’ve not exactly been that good now and they’ve got a halve decent team.

BlackShark_80

Chelsea and two other top European clubs have offered to pay Benfica €127m for Enzo Fernandez. As it isn't the release clause of €120m [cash upfront], they don’t want to sell for now. There are multiple meetings in Portugal to define the situation.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
The sort of money being mentioned will make him go from a player I loved, to one I'm starting to think of as extremely overrated. He did very well at the world cup. He wasn't exactly spellbinding.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
The sort of money being mentioned will make him go from a player I loved, to one I'm starting to think of as extremely overrated. He did very well at the world cup. He wasn't exactly spellbinding.
He's got an engine like Arturo Vidal did IMO, is as competitive and he can run and pass the ball very very well.

He will part of any top midfield, worth the money. He's one of those signings you don't want a rival to have.

Valencia Shin Crosses

On the flip side, he has a skill set that would make it very easy to fit in and be a contributor even with a high price tag.

I think big money signings run the risk of flopping often times when a players skill set doesn’t mesh with his new team/philosophy. Grealish and Sancho come to mind. I actually think both would have been better off swapping places as it would have fit in with United and City better respectively.

Enzo’s immediately going to bring tackling and passing ability and work rate to whatever club buys him, which will mean even if he doesn’t end up being the next Casemiro he’s still a player that can contribute in any side.

IFC 1905

On the flip side, he has a skill set that would make it very easy to fit in and be a contributor even with a high price tag.

I think big money signings run the risk of flopping often times when a players skill set doesn’t mesh with his new team/philosophy. Grealish and Sancho come to mind. I actually think both would have been better off swapping places as it would have fit in with United and City better respectively.

Enzo’s immediately going to bring tackling and passing ability and work rate to whatever club buys him, which will mean even if he doesn’t end up being the next Casemiro he’s still a player that can contribute in any side.

Can't compare Enzo to Casemiro, they're different players. Enzo has good positionig and defensive skills but he's more of an organizer. I think his profile is closer to Toni Kroos.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He has only played 13 games for Benfica.

Why the hell cant we identify South American talent prior to their moves to Europe?
Look at the first post in this thread. We were interested in him. Just didn't pull the trigger. Which also, real Madrid didn't either even though they too were interested. Usually going to Benfica is a decent step to see how they handle European football. They normally don't explode and boss the world Cup right away though...

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
He's got an engine like Arturo Vidal did IMO, is as competitive and he can run and pass the ball very very well.

He will part of any top midfield, worth the money. He's one of those signings you don't want a rival to have.
I haven't seen anything to suggest he has the engine of vidal. Also, the skillset you mentioned is not worth £100M in it's complete form, let alone as potential in my opinion. He's a good player with potential but all this is just post world cup silliness. It would be very silly to buy a young player at the highest value he'll be.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
He has only played 13 games for Benfica.

Why the hell cant we identify South American talent prior to their moves to Europe?
He was well-known to us but we pulled another Alvarez situation

Red the Bear

Something less generic

Chelsea and two other top European clubs have offered to pay Benfica €127m for Enzo Fernandez. As it isn't the release clause of €120m [cash upfront], they don’t want to sell for now. There are multiple meetings in Portugal to define the situation.
Assuming this fella is reliable i wonder who the other 2 are.

Sigma501

Supports
Football
Look at the first post in this thread. We were interested in him. Just didn't pull the trigger. Which also, real Madrid didn't either even though they too were interested. Usually going to Benfica is a decent step to see how they handle European football. They normally don't explode and boss the world Cup right away though...
Didn't Man Utd have a partnership with Sporting Lisbon in the past? You would think that this would be the ideal business relationship to bring unproven talent over to Europe and place them with a feeder club to see how they fare.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Benfica signed this guy for £8m literally 6 months ago, and he's now supposed to be worth over £100m. This is stupid.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I haven't seen anything to suggest he has the engine of vidal. Also, the skillset you mentioned is not worth £100M in it's complete form, let alone as potential in my opinion. He's a good player with potential but all this is just post world cup silliness. It would be very silly to buy a young player at the highest value he'll be.
Watch him at Benfica and River Plate it's not just the WC

mav_9me

We said we would bid “whatever it takes” for Jude Bellingham. We have been told we aren’t going to sign him. Like everyone else we also love Enzo.

people have been talking about a Mount -Bellingham - Rice midfield for months. We played Mount - Jorgihno - Zakaria midfield yesterday and the setup at least was great.

Enzo in that spot that rotates into a. 8 instead of Bellingham makes great sense, really.
115m£ for Enzo, 80-100 for rice, you still need a striker. I think that's insane spending even for Chelsea. Don't forget the wages you have to pay.

IFC 1905

Assuming this fella is reliable i wonder who the other 2 are.
Manchester United and Liverpool I assume. I've read that United as willing to pay 127M but in installments. Benfica wants all the money at once.

Benfica signed this guy for £8m literally 6 months ago, and he's now supposed to be worth over £100m. This is stupid.

That has nothing to do with his actual price. He was worth way more, but Argentina's economy keeps players being cheap. Look at Brazil selling 16 yo Endrick for 70M or Vinicius Jr. for 45M being kids.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
FFS. I've wanted this guy badly for months but made peace with the fact we couldn't get him when the stories of Liverpool's pre agreement came out.

Now I'm being set up for disappointment all over again

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
115m£ for Enzo, 80-100 for rice, you still need a striker. I think that's insane spending even for Chelsea. Don't forget the wages you have to pay.
No we need to buy Rice, Enzo Fernandez, Leao and Bellingham all for £100m each and then we need to buy a pair of CBs at £80m each because why not, we're Chelsea. And we also need a RB to cover for an injury prone Reece James, so let's just throw a bit of chump change that problem, shall we say, £50m? We should be good enough to challenge for top 4 after that I think.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Manchester United and Liverpool I assume. I've read that United as willing to pay 127M but in installments. Benfica wants all the money at once.

That has nothing to do with his actual price. He was worth way more, but Argentina's economy keeps players being cheap. Look at Brazil selling 16 yo Endrick for 70M or Vinicius Jr. for 45M being kids.
After United paying so much for Di Maria at Benfica and Garay in the past I can see Benfica favouring United

still got ptsd from all our Benfica links

mav_9me

No we need to buy Rice, Enzo Fernandez, Leao and Bellingham all for £100m each and then we need to buy a pair of CBs at £80m each because why not, we're Chelsea. And we also need a RB to cover for an injury prone Reece James, so let's just throw a bit of chump change that problem, shall we say, £50m? We should be good enough to challenge for top 4 after that I think.
Hopefully.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
If this actually happens I'd like to think that means we're not touching Rice with a 10 foot pole.

mav_9me

Hopefully for some unknown reason Enzo picks United. A man can dream.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Yes they’ll have the squad but do they have the manager to get the best out of the squad? They’ve not exactly been that good now and they’ve got a halve decent team.
Some of his players spoke about how long it took Brighton to learn and get fluid with Potters style, which is actually pretty complex. The results weren’t there, and then, once it started to click, the change was dramatic.

The football we played in the first half yesterday was gorgeous stuff. I think the idea that with patience and time Potter won’t have a super talented squad humming is wishful thinking, not reality.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
I think Amrabat was as good as him in the World Cup, both the best midfielders of the tournament by far...but Amrabat didn't have Messi on his team, so Morocco couldn't beat France.

Lot of money though, i think nationality plays a big part, argentinian, portuguese,french and brazilian players are ,generally, more expensive than the rest.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It still feels a little out of control how Benfica and Porto keep flipping £10m signings into sales ranging from £60-100m. They're unbelievably good at leveraging that SA pipeline.

glasgow 21

Or Benfica are clever and their connections in South America to grease the correct wheels to achieve the purchase of players like Fernandez is way advance of anything United's got. Maybe United 's team in SA sent back info that River Plate only wants 15m and the hierarchy went he can't be that good if they are only wanting that.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
FFS. I've wanted this guy badly for months but made peace with the fact we couldn't get him when the stories of Liverpool's pre agreement came out.

Now I'm being set up for disappointment all over again
What's the plan then? We're also being linked to Rice and Bellingham who are also going to cost close to or over £100m each.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Probably Liverpool and Madrid.
Bleak...

Hopefully mate but assuming laurie Whithwell is correct it's not looking good for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.