Eredivisie 2019/20 season declared null and void

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Only if our government extend bans on events and even then, there's too much money in the PL for the season to be just voided. They're not going to take the title off Liverpool. Likely that football will be played behind closed doors eventually. Some leagues have started doing that/aiming for it already.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It hasn't been declared null and void. The final league standings are still being used to decide European football slots. It has just been brought to an end with no winner, relegations or promotions.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
It hasn't been declared null and void. The final league standings are still being used to decide European football slots. It has just been brought to an end with no winner, relegations or promotions.
Has that been confirmed? That would answer the question I asked on this subject. Makes sense in the grand scheme of things. Really it's a case of frozen positions than null and void, as the season is still counting towards next season's qualification positions. The 2019/20 actually happened and they decided to freeze but with no relegation or promotion and due to tightness of top places, no champion. All sensible decisions.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I’d be really annoyed if this is the case. As United fans we obviously were going to get top 4 based on our remaining games. However, as a classy fanbase I hope our moaning isn’t too much. We understand that the priority is the health of the nation and that we can not expect football to take precedence over lives. I hope if the season is declared null and void our fanbase are respectful as we will lose out massively through this.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
I’d be really annoyed if this is the case. As United fans we obviously were going to get top 4 based on our remaining games. However, as a classy fanbase I hope our moaning isn’t too much. We understand that the priority is the health of the nation and that we can not expect football to take precedence over lives. I hope if the season is declared null and void our fanbase are respectful as we will lose out massively through this.
Dutch league is not null and void. Read above posts.

AshRK

So all the record stands and the table position is the final but no one is the champion. I still doubt if FA follows the same suit but never say never.

Member 101269

Only if our government extend bans on events and even then, there's too much money in the PL for the season to be just voided. They're not going to take the title off Liverpool. Likely that football will be played behind closed doors eventually. Some leagues have started doing that/aiming for it already.
Give yourself a good whack.. Liverpool haven't won the title, you can't take it off a team that hasn't won it.. Second; we've heard the gov say lockdown measures until at least the new year.. Third; if it takes 8 weeks to get started, and we're not even thinking that way how the heck can we be finished by the end of June.

TheReligion

Abusive
This is very much null and void+

All potential league winners will be left with nothing. Could be the model they run with.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Has that been confirmed? That would answer the question I asked on this subject. Makes sense in the grand scheme of things. Really it's a case of frozen positions than null and void, as the season is still counting towards next season's qualification positions. The 2019/20 actually happened and they decided to freeze but with no relegation or promotion and due to tightness of top places, no champion. All sensible decisions.
Yep.

https://eredivisie.nl/en-us/uitgelicht/afwikkeling-voetbalseizoen-201920-een-feit

It says it there.

The key difference between this and the PL is of course where the first place team lies in relation to the rest of the table. I suspect the PL clubs would opt to award the title to Liverpool if it comes to this but no relegations/promotions would likely be the same.

Also worth noting that points per game wouldn't have altered final standings in this case, whereas it would in the PL. So I suspect the PL would opt for PPG.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I wonder how this works, with regards to prize money for placing.

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
Utrecht are taking the league to court over being denied a Europa League spot.

This is very messy, especially since their decision has actually gone against what the majority of clubs have voted for. There'll be a few lawsuits.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I dont really see the point. Are we saying that football is definitely definitely going to be back to normal in September?

I doubt it.

What happens when the 2020-21 season has to be abandoned because we can't finish all the games next season either?

Better just to keep going with this season. Let it finish when it finishes.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
I wonder how this works, with regards to prize money for placing.
As my 100 posts above: it's a frozen league. All positions count. Ajax are position 1 for prize money but not announced as champions.

TheReligion

Abusive

This is very messy, especially since their decision has actually gone against what the majority of clubs have voted for. There'll be a few lawsuits.
There will be issues whatever the outcome. Fair play to the Dutch for doing this now for clarity. The PL should look to follow suit I'd imagine.

TheReligion

Abusive
I dont really see the point. Are we saying that football is definitely definitely going to be back to normal in September?

I doubt it.

What happens when the 2020-21 season has to be abandoned because we can't finish all the games next season either?

Better just to keep going with this season. Let it finish when it finishes.
Nah they won't indefinitely allow this to rumble on. Zero interest for that.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

Anyone that takes the league over to court over this, the horrendous response to a global pandemic is a fecking shit of a club and should be shunned.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Well effectively is. No champions, no relegation. If the same is to happen in England so be it. Frustrating for a United fan but I completely get the reasoning.
Not necessarily, we still have to await a: any developments with City’s case, and b: any decision on the conclusion of the Europa League.

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
There will be issues whatever the outcome. Fair play to the Dutch for doing this now for clarity. The PL should look to follow suit I'd imagine.
I don't get the weird Frankenstein version of it.

Denied teams getting promoted who had clear daylight from the teams below them, but deny Utrecht a Europa League spot even though they're three points behind with a game in hand? So in one sense saying the final table is definitive, in another context saying it is meaningless. Does that seem clear?

Classical Mechanic

Not necessarily, we still have to await a: any developments with City’s case, and b: any decision on the conclusion of the Europa League.
This is my point, any artificial wrapping up of the leagues and European competitions leaves that Europa League spot from winning the competition open still. As the highest ranked side still in the competition and I think the side with the best GD then we seem the bloody obvious option to fairly get it. Of course UEFA would like the United brand in the CL more than any other side too. I get a strong feeling we’ll be in the competition next year.

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
Anyone that takes the league over to court over this, the horrendous response to a global pandemic is a fecking shit of a club and should be shunned.
I mean, this is in the context of a much smaller league. The difference in money between Europa and not isn't just about transfers, it might be the difference between staff having a job to come back to and others not. It's a messy situation all round, and there's no easy answers. But I don't think it's a moral case of black and white like you're making out.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
What ever happened to the PL’s own rule that if the league was suspended for 65 days or more, it would be cancelled? I’m sure earlier on in this crisis that was said to have been in the handbook.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Ok hope you've all enjoyed your chips, here's some piss on them now: :angel:

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't get the weird Frankenstein version of it.

Denied teams getting promoted who had clear daylight from the teams below them, but deny Utrecht a Europa League spot even though they're three points behind with a game in hand? So in one sense saying the final table is definitive, in another context saying it is meaningless. Does that seem clear?
I guess however they do it is going to cause an issue though. No one moves anywhere with this yet no one becomes champions, promoted, relegated as they didn't earn it.